• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Chappell predicts an Anzac Battle

thierry henry

International Coach
Styris has deliberately dibbly-dobblyfied (lol) himself though. He used to be a 125kph-130kph seamer (still borderline dibbly dobbly, given that he's shortish and doesn't get much bounce), now he bowls 5 off-spinners an over with an occasional seam up delivery as a change up. I'm not sure that I like it, but meh. Perhaps it has something to do with age and injury.

Indeed, I think Styris should actually be classified as "right arm off-spin" now...and Daniel Vettori should be "left arm slow"..only one of these guys turns it (or even tries to) and it isn't Dan :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
The Caribbean pitches really suit bowlers like Styris since the pitches are in general slow, so when he takes the pace of the ball bowling his dibbly dobbly off -cutters with McCullum standing up to the stumps, its then very hard to score of him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Styris has deliberately dibbly-dobblyfied (lol) himself though. He used to be a 125kph-130kph seamer (still borderline dibbly dobbly, given that he's shortish and doesn't get much bounce), now he bowls 5 off-spinners an over with an occasional seam up delivery as a change up. I'm not sure that I like it, but meh. Perhaps it has something to do with age and injury.

Indeed, I think Styris should actually be classified as "right arm off-spin" now...and Daniel Vettori should be "left arm slow"..only one of these guys turns it (or even tries to) and it isn't Dan :ph34r:
Well, Nathan Bracken turns the ball more than most other finger spinners going around, so there might be something to this whole fast-spin-off-a-long-run-up thing...

pup11

International Coach
Yeah, once the ball gets old having Bracks is almost like having an extra spinner, he is very effective with his cutters and slower-one's and when the ball is new he swings it very well.

He is been one of the best bowlers in odi cricket for the last 2 years but he seems to be pretty underrated.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Not as convinced about New Zealand as a lot of people seem to be. To an extent they are still a bit unproven in that they haven't played any other of so the called big 4 (Aus SA & Lanka).

The top order looks shaky, more so with Vincent out, & with Bond the only strike bowler I do feel the rest of bowling can be got after.
Gotta agree with this. NZ have had the better of the scheduling and only beaten sides that they ought to beat. Neverthless, the top order isn't a big deal nor is the bowling. This is the way NZ always functions.

pup11

International Coach
If New Zealand keep on functioning the way they have always done in the past then they would again get knocked out come the semi-finals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, Nathan Bracken turns the ball more than most other finger spinners going around, so there might be something to this whole fast-spin-off-a-long-run-up thing...
I recall several deliveries from Damien Fleming and Darren Gough, down the years, turing a good deal, too... tells a bit about optical-illusions IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, once the ball gets old having Bracks is almost like having an extra spinner, he is very effective with his cutters and slower-one's and when the ball is new he swings it very well.

He is been one of the best bowlers in odi cricket for the last 2 years but he seems to be pretty underrated.
1 year and a bit.