• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsman of the World Cup 2007

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Which Batsman has in your opinion been starring in this World Cup 2007. Obviously the tournament is still proceeding , but some have already put their hand up.

Mathew Hayden is the obvious choice, but there are others ..Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke, Scott Styris, Graeme Smith, Jacqes Kallis (86 v SL in a slow difficult track), Chamara Silva, Niall O'Brien (Ireland) ...

Any others ... discuss.

To me Hayden has already taken this World Cup by storm with 2 back to back hundreds and unbeaten 47 today ... And his form is ominous ...and suggests more to come.

The link to batting averages and Strike rates as it stands -
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/wc20...most_runs_career.html?id=2403;type=tournament

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
hhhmm i say Niall O'Brien just because im a new irish fan...but Mathew Hayden is probably will have the most runs but what i don't like about him is he just powers hits...a lot so he woulnd't have got as if the stadiums were bit bigger but still he did get the runs...

Isura

U19 Captain
Kumar Sangakarra has looked the best of the SL batsmen. Also, I suspect that Stephan Fleming is going to have a big impact in the rest of the tournament.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fleming and Styris have been going quite well for New Zealand which is good to see but I think it's fairly obvious who the star has been so far. Matthew Hayden has been in sensational touch and is quite clearly the batsman of the tournament so far, in my eyes atleast.

pup11

International Coach
Ponting and Clarke have looked in great touch, closely followed by Smith and Styris.

But Haydos is just in an another league, he seems to be way ahead of the pack atm and he seems to be back into his zone.

oz_fan

International Regular
Hayden has been the best batsmen of the WC. 3 fifty plus scores including 2 huge hundreds is incredible. He has scored 400 runs at an average of close to 100 with a strike rate of 110. Lara, Styris, Collingwood, Smith and Ponting have been in great form as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hayden has been the best batsmen of the WC. 3 fifty plus scores including 2 huge hundreds is incredible. He has scored 400 runs at an average of close to 100 with a strike rate of 110. Lara, Styris, Collingwood, Smith and Ponting have been in great form as well.
Yeah, Colly's been in very decent touch for us. He's needed to be, frankly. Our top three has been largely woeful; especially Vaughan & Bell.

KP's actually done ok for us too, without quite setting the tournament alight yet, but one sort of expects it of him. Still averaging over 50 & striking @ over 75 runs per 100 balls.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Hayden doesnt count because he is too awesome for words

But Collingwood is still on fire, He is averaging 100+ in this world cup anhd he really is the key man for england. I would definitely say England need Colly mroe than Australia need Hayden. So in that context, you could say Paul Collingwood is the most valuable player.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
can't go past Hayden and Collingwood really
What about Scott Styris? Who has scored more runs than Paul, has a better average than Paul, better strike rate and unlike Collingwood played a real significant knock against test opposition. All Collingwood has done is score 'big' runs against associate members thus far.

Natman20

International Debutant
Hayden and Jayasaria on top at the moment IMO. I can't believe the amoount of slack Hayden was given before he played the NZ series before the cup. From zero to hero. The same goes for Fleming. Everyone goes through bad patches and luckily for these two it happened before they arrived in the west indies.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden has played too fantastic innings and looks in great touch. But the batsman who seems to be on a completely different planet at the moment is Ponting. I cant see how anyone can play better thab Ponting is playing at present.

It may not bring him most runs in this tournament but I have no diubt about who is the batsman of the present time in the world.

simmy

International Regular
What about Scott Styris? Who has scored more runs than Paul, has a better average than Paul, better strike rate and unlike Collingwood played a real significant knock against test opposition. All Collingwood has done is score 'big' runs against associate members thus far.
Change your profile pic then!