• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Hayden Break Tendulkars Record?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Can he overtake tendulkars record of 673 runs?
Hayden is currently on 395 runs from 5 matches and 5 innings
He needs 279 runs so can he do it?

He certainly deserves to and most likely will as australia still have matches against ireland and england where if they bat first he will get a big score for sure

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

He certainly deserves to and most likely will as australia still have matches against ireland and england where if they bat first he will get a big score for sure
My prediction is that Hayden will end up with 800+ runs this World Cup :)!!!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah probably...but its easier for him here because of the small fields but still you have to get the runs...which he is..he will have the most runs in the wc certainly if it goes like this

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seeing as how, presumably Australia will play both the semi final and final, including all their remaining Super 8 matches I think it quite likely that Matthew Hayden will beat Tendulkar's record, taking into account that he doesn't get injured or anything.

pup11

International Coach
Haydos looks like he is in his zone in this tournament, and i have no doubts he would get the remaining runs to break Tendulkar's record pretty easily and he completly deserves to do so.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Mathematically he can, he has another 4 matches plus the semis and the final.

6 possible matches with his current ODI average of 43.62 = 261 which is just 18 short of the record.

Athlai

Not Terrible

6 possible matches with his current ODI average of 43.62 = 261 which is just 18 short of the record.
From his 5 matches so far he's on 395. So hes definitely playing better than his excellent average suggests,

Matt79

Global Moderator

IIRC his average in the recent period since getting back into the team has been more like 60 than 42, so 5 more matches at that rate is more like 300, which would do it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
My money's actually still on Ponting finishing as the top scorer for the WC, but it's entirely possible that more than one player could get 700+ in a WC this long.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Yeah, it's not like England have ever had any success bowling to Hayden, is it?!

FFS, I feel I'm turning into some cliche of a little Englander, but couldn't let that one go.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, it's not like England have ever had any success bowling to Hayden, is it?!

FFS, I feel I'm turning into some cliche of a little Englander, but couldn't let that one go.
Can you really see the Plunketts of this World changing much, though?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He bowled a few pretty good opening spells in the CB series, could see him picking up Hayden if the ball was swinging a bit more.

jammay123

State 12th Man
i reckon bond would probably win. dont rule england out plunkett might get him first ball like he did gilly

Nishant

International 12th Man
i reckon bond would probably win. dont rule england out plunkett might get him first ball like he did gilly
i will laugh if that happens now! Anyone wanna bet it doesnt happen? (althoght im not really a betting guy...i think im underage actually 8-) )

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He bowled a few pretty good opening spells in the CB series, could see him picking up Hayden if the ball was swinging a bit more.
He bowled one, when everything was about as good for swing as you could want - thunderstorms around, dusk as the time, new ball, and even then he still went for plenty in with the wicket-taking balls. I can't see anything remotely of the type in the Caribbean.

pup11

International Coach
For Plunkett to do that first of all he would have be in the final playing XI instead of that Saj Mahmood.

Lewis and Plunkett were also involved in the late-night drinking episode and they are being punished for that.