View Poll Results: how would a full strenght Zimbawe team go in 2007 world cup?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • semi finals or better

3 8.82%
  • super 8

20 58.82%
  • better than they did, but not enought to make super 8

9 26.47%
  • no better

2 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how would a full strength Zimbabwe side go in world cup?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    If Flower hadn't retired, I have no doubt that he would be a success compared to some of the other players, he still one of the best players of spin in world atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Interesting. I think it shows how remarkably well Zimbabwe did a few years ago to be so competitive given how shallow their player-base obviously was. Quite a fair few international-class players produced per capita.

There are also players like Dale Steyn who, although SA-born, is of Rhodesian/Zimbabwean parentage. But for the troubles over there his folks may not have joined the diaspora. There are probably others too, but he's just the one I happen to know about.

Are you Zimbabwean originally Prince, hope you don't mind me asking?
    Whether I'm Zimbabwean or not is actually a debatable matter - probably not something I should share on an internet forum ITBT (and I'm not just being a prick there - I have good reason..) But I do have ties to the country.

And yeah, there's probably a fair few I've missed that I just didn't know about - like Dale Steyn. There's also Paul Harris who was born in Zimbabwe AFAIK, but he didn't play a List A game last season (either that, or he wasn't listed in the stats for some reason) so I haven't listed him either.

Also, did my image work? I used files2net.com for the first time with it.
    ~ Cribbage

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Whether I'm Zimbabwean or not is actually a debatable matter - probably not something I should share on an internet forum ITBT (and I'm not just being a prick there - I have good reason..) But I do have ties to the country.

And yeah, there's probably a fair few I've missed that I just didn't know about - like Dale Steyn. There's also Paul Harris who was born in Zimbabwe AFAIK, but he didn't play a List A game last season (either that, or he wasn't listed in the stats for some reason) so I haven't listed him either.

Also, did my image work? I used files2net.com for the first time with it.
    Fair enough, just idle curiousity on my part.

& yeah, your image worked for me at any rate.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fair enough, just idle curiousity on my part.

& yeah, your image worked for me at any rate.
    Yeah, sorry about that - I just couldn't answer the answer with any real certainty - and the strange fact that I couldn't would require an explanation which I probably shouldn't post.

Good news about the image - I sent the link to someone on my MSN list and it didn't work so I was worried.

Updated list including Steyn and Harris:

Couldn't find Harris before, because I was looking for him in the South African stats and he plays in England. Born in Zimbabwe, plays his cricket in England, then represents South Africa..
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 08-04-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Add in Benkenstein.

Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa. Im also not convinced about his family coming from Zim. He is born just on the SA side of the Zim border but I seem to recall from the deepest recesses of my mind (I could be mistaken) that the Zim connection was a misconception based purely on his inability to speak Afrikaans.

However if you want a real "blue chipper" to add to the list how about Dale Benkenstein?
    Last edited by Goughy; 08-04-2007 at 05:56 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa.

However if you want a real "blue chipper" to add to the list how about Dale Benkenstein?
    Yeah, Steyn and even Hick are definitely stretching it, but it's basically a list of everyone who could have, theoretically, played for Zimbabwe. I highly doubt Steyn would have, regardless of politics and poor board decisions, but players like Chouhan, Brant and Harris just might have.

I actually had no idea that Benkenstein was still playing - good find.

Chouhan still can. He was approached before the WC about becoming involved and is thinking it over.

Chouhan still can. He was approached before the WC about becoming involved and is thinking it over.
    Interesting. I thought that if he didn't play in the WC, the chance of him touring around playing meaningless games against Bangladesh and Kenya whilst getting paid virtually nothing was pretty low.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa. Im also not convinced about his family coming from Zim. He is born just on the SA side of the Zim border but I seem to recall from the deepest recesses of my mind (I could be mistaken) that the Zim connection was a misconception based purely on his inability to speak Afrikaans.
    He has claimed his folks were "British Rhodesians" himself. Linky.

Steyn has an interesting admission that belies his surname, and is sure to make readers of Die Beeld wince - he speaks no Afrikaans. "I do try ..." he insists, but explains that his parents were British Rhodesians and so there was never any cause to take up the language. Already, however, his ignorance has stood him in good stead at the crease. Faced with a gutful of vitriol from Nantie Hayward, his fiery forebear in the South African team, Steyn could do nothing but shrug: "I couldn't understand what he was on about!"

I think almost all Rhodies were British- the Afrikaners didn't get on with Cecil Rhodes at all. Some of the guys who have Afrikaner-sounding names, like Blignaut and Vermeulen, are actually "properly" Dutch rather than Afrikaners.

This world cup would probably have been Andy Flower's last time in international cricket, I'm 98% certain he would like to have retired after this tournament if things hadn't gone downhill so fast in Zim. Other guys probably would have gone sooner due to injury etc. The fact is about fifteen or so players mentioned would constitute a good international side, but ultimately I think debate about this is a bit pointless and will just go round in circles.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

A great loss really. Zimbabwe cricket was shaping up well back in the day. A small player base didn't stop New Zealand from becoming a top 8 cricket nation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Updated list including Steyn and Harris:

Couldn't find Harris before, because I was looking for him in the South African stats and he plays in England. Born in Zimbabwe, plays his cricket in England, then represents South Africa..
    My team:

1. Vusi Sibanda (now playing in Australia)
    2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
    3. Andy Flower (playing for Essex in England)
    4. Dale Benkenstein (playing for Durham in England)
    5. Graheme Hick (playing with Worcestershire for ages)/Murray Goodwin (playing for Sussex for ages)
    6. Grant Flower (same as his brother)
    7. T. Taibu (?)
    8. Sean Ervine (playing for Hampshire in England)
    9. Heath Streak (playing for Warwickshire in England)
    10. Andy Blignaut (?)
    11. Paul Harris (same as Streak)

Apologies to Ray Price and Dale Steyn and even Scott Brant and Graheme Lamb...
    Last edited by Chase; 13-05-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    My team:

2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
    5. Graheme Hick (playing with Worcestershire for ages)/Murray Goodwin (playing for Sussex for ages)
    7. T. Taibu (?)
    10. Andy Blignaut (?)

No current Zimbabweans in the squad shows they're rubbish

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    My team:

2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
    7. T. Taibu (?)
    10. Andy Blignaut (?)

Plus Stuart Carisle and any current Zimbo who may be worth his place, although there may only be a couple, if that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information