• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All this talk about NZ's best chance

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just like Australia would be a lot better if they had Lee, and England would be a lot better if they had Trescothick. But all these players are missing, so we have to deal with it and stop bringing it up all the time.
Precisely, sure it would be great to have Mills, but injuries are a reality and provided Taylor and Gillespie are fit, NZ aren't too badly off. Quite refreshing when you think over the years New Zealand were only competitive when at full strength, now we can still compete with 2-3 of the better players out. Admittedly we would really struggle without Bond,Vettori and Oram.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think we would struggle with much with Oram out to be honest, just put McMillan at 6. The bowling may be weakened a little bit but the batting would be stengthened, in theory at least. I still maintain that Jacob Oram is an average ODI player, he has been in very good form with the bat since the CB series but he needs to consistently perform with both the bat and the ball.

Isolator

State 12th Man
All things are pointless...

But am I the only one who feels Bond's not striking early as often as he used to? Is it a problem?

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
All things are pointless...

But am I the only one who feels Bond's not striking early as often as he used to? Is it a problem?
One can't keep up such a outstanding strike rate, it's impossible.

It's true that's he's not as fast and doesn't swing the ball away from the right-hander as he was in the last world cup, but that's what happens when you get metal infused into your spine. He's still a destructive bowler though with a bit of help early on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Precisely, sure it would be great to have Mills, but injuries are a reality and provided Taylor and Gillespie are fit, NZ aren't too badly off. Quite refreshing when you think over the years New Zealand were only competitive when at full strength, now we can still compete with 2-3 of the better players out. Admittedly we would really struggle without Bond,Vettori and Oram.
As Australia would and did struggle without McGrath, Ponting and Gilchrist.

And Pakistan without Shoaib, Asif and Razzaq.

And you could say the same about just about any team.

If you are suddenly stripped of 3 of your best players most teams will go downhill a fair amount.

Perm

Oh, whys Fiery banned, can't be arsed to look through his posts:unsure:
Insulting and flaming the Australian members of this forum.

Anyway Bond hasn't been striking as early as he used to be, but he has been more economical and not allowed the opposition openers to get away to a flier. Thus, they are targeting the other opening bowler and getting out to that bowler (Mills, Franklin etc)

thierry henry

International Coach
Just like Australia would be a lot better if they had Lee, and England would be a lot better if they had Trescothick. But all these players are missing, so we have to deal with it and stop bringing it up all the time.
I know. Just comparing the 2007 NZ team to the '92 one, and pointing out how strong we are in most areas, cos with Mills/Bond/Vettori our bowling would be really strong also.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
That's exactly what I'm saying... the opposite of it, actually. He has not been that destructive early on.
Meh, I don't think he's bowling that differently to how he was a while back. He's probably lost a little bit of hoop, that's all, in combination with the fact that he's going through a period where the batsmen just play and miss instead of nicking them.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
When the tournament started I asked my son to put a thousand quid on my behalf on the Kiwis and the Proteas (50:50). Doesnt mean I am definitely going to get the winnings, just the confidence that that they have a better chance to do it than anyone else.

If Australia has to play one of them in the semis and the other (if they win in the semis) in the finals, I think I just might win something. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that NZL and SAF do not meet in the semis. :)

Beleg

International Regular
I personally think the greatest obstacle in NZ's path is SL.

If they can beat SL, they'll win.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, sounds like business is going well, SJS.
Ha ha :laugh:

Actually I retired last August and also sold my entire stakes in the company. Reinvested the proceeds in real estate and some financial instruments and am now spending whats left on the new house I am planning to move into. So there IS no business anymore but for the time being liquidity is good. :)

Isolator

State 12th Man
A wicketless first spell for Bond again. I don't know why this is happening. He is bowling well overall, maybe he needs to make the batsman play a bit more early on?

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
A wicketless first spell for Bond again. I don't know why this is happening. He is bowling well overall, maybe he needs to make the batsman play a bit more early on?
His opening 5 over spell cost 5 runs. I think batsmen are terrified and content to play him out. He comes back and takes wickets in his 2nd spell. 8 wickets at ave 10.50 eco 2.29 s/r 27.5 is pretty damn good. No complaints from me

Perm

I'd have to say that the latest few opening spells I've seen of Bond have been terrific, sure he hasn't been taking wickets but he has building a lot of pressure and that sometimes led to wickets being taken at the other end. On occasion, like against the West Indies for example, he has just been too good for the batsmen to play.

Isolator

State 12th Man
I have a feeling that NZ are going to be beaten badly in at least one of their remaining games. Probably against Australia. There's been a great amount of hype since the 3-0 win in the CH series, a victory which in my opinion was overrated and is now being given excessive importance. I'm not saying NZ didn't play well - they did - but Oz were seriously handicapped.

It's interesting how one big win or loss can change perceptions. As I said, I have a feeling NZ are going to lose at least one of their remaining Super 8 matches, and I also think that after this there are a number of issues which will come up, one of them being Bond not firing early on. I may be making too much of this. Bond has been bowling well, consistently. But I think his not taking early wickets is not just due to bad luck.

(just getting this in now so that I'll look like a genius if this stuff does happen...)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but Oz were seriously handicapped.
Most of the guys who were missing in that series who are there now are batsmen though, and the batting performed very well in that series apart from the first game.