Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Underwhelming

I have enjoyed the WC to be honest. Luckily the games start at 2pm here and so I can watch the game at decent hours in their entirety.

Games such as SL v Eng, Ire v Pak, Bang v RSA have been utterly compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Can't blame the format, I like it heaps. But there's no doubt that the WC, imo, would have been so much better with India and Pakistan in the Super 8s. I have no doubt about that at all. Obviously Ireland and Bangladesh going through is fair and they deserve it thoroughly, but will I be staying up for South Africa v Bangladesh tonight? Hell no. Would I have stayed up all night for South Africa v India? Hell yes.

Plus the poor crowds have been awful. There's such a big difference watching a match with a packed house and one that isn't. Just the buzz makes it awesome. That's been missing and it's killing it. Also the matches have been pretty boring. Even SL v England was dire till the end.

I miss Test match cricket so much itbt.
    Lucky I was talking out of my ass and actually stayed up to watch that night.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Haha I was going to quote that Pasag, particularly when I saw you in that thread, but I figured I'd let it slide.

I'm so glad I stayed up for that too. Was a great watch. Sort of made up for me falling asleep during the SL/SA and SL/Eng matches.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

yeah i was going to go at that too, but didn't since you aren't so critical about the "minnows" and is more understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Haha I was going to quote that Pasag.
    Quote that 'pasag' from the bible.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Better make sure you omit the Biblical passage about Augustus...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Haha, I'll pay that.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post

I miss Test match cricket so much itbt.
    yes
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Yeah i miss Test cricket too, i am really looking forward to the Test series between Ind v/s Aus when India comes to Australia, but its a long way away.

But some great games coming up in the WC now :-

1.Aus v/s SL
    2.Eng v/s SA
    3.Aus v/s NZ
    4.SA v/s NZ

And then of course the 2 semis and then the big final, so there is a lot of good odi cricket coming up and i am expecting them to be very exciting games.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I've refrained from commenting until now, but I think there's little doubt that the WC hasn't quite lived up to expectations so far. Without wishing to go over points others have made, I think this is due to two main reasons:

1) The crowds have been shocking. This is certainly due to the reasons listed previously in the thread & has removed any semblance of the elusive "Caribbean flavour". The heavy-handed security at the stadia seems like some gruesome ironic joke, given the failure of "security" to stop the murderer(s) of poor Bob Woolmer. Not seeing the wood for the trees is I think the expression.

2) The cricket has been fairly ordinary too; I think we've seen maybe four genuinely decent contests (Ire-Zim, Ire-Pak, SA-SL, and Eng-SL) & even in those it was the closeness of the score rather than the brilliance of the cricket that kept us enthralled. I don't think we can blame the format for this depressing state of affairs; despite the assertions that an associate can take out a big-8 side with one result, this simply isn't true. If India had beaten Sri Lanka or Pakistan had beaten the Windies the admirable wins for Ireland & Bangladesh would've counted for nought. I think the real reason is that, Oz aside, most of the competing teams are fairly ordinary. The Commonwealth Bank & Chappell/Hadlee thingies made some of us think that the chasing pack had closed the gap, where in reality they were probably exactly the foot up the arse Australia needed. Buchannan's wish for a decent contest may actually have not been the dumbest request ever.

Hoping for better from the remaining games.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 14-04-2007 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Mistook Sri Lanka for the Windies. Obviously...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Most of the lack of quality is down to the pitches. Slow rubbish does not make for good quality cricket between bat and ball as I've said all along. In comparison there has been plenty of good fielding in the World Cup, except for on the sandpit patches of the outfield which are an absolute joke.

These pitches are making Styris into a highly effective bowler - I think that says it all.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Most of the lack of quality is down to the pitches. Slow rubbish does not make for good quality cricket between bat and ball as I've said all along. In comparison there has been plenty of good fielding in the World Cup, except for on the sandpit patches of the outfield which are an absolute joke.

These pitches are making Styris into a highly effective bowler - I think that says it all.
    Not all of it is "slow rubbish"

isn't 47 days and 51 matches? 32 days and 40 matches seems fair, it's like trying to put it down saying its too long even being 32 days...

For mine, given the time difference, it's been very difficult to "get into" this World Cup. As for the structure, I actually think it's a magnificent structure - with the minnow teams present and the initial group stage not containing too many matches. Then the Super Eight stage where it's hard to think how it could be more fair when all of the top sides play each other once, before the Semi Finals.

Perhaps the tournament's been a little protracted, but if you want all of the top teams play each other once before the Semi Finals (which I think is only fair) and if you want rest days, reserve days and travel days, it's hard to think how they could have made the tournament too much shorter - other than schedule some matches for the same day.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information