• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Underwhelming

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was bound to happen, with people having such high expectations of the West Indies, despite a lak of evidence suggesting they could be a major force unless everything clicked for them, which was always unlikely to happen.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, however good it was for Bangladesh and Ireland to get through, it's hard not to admit that if India and Pakistan were still in, the Super 8 would probably have been a lot more interesting and competitive.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
enuff bout india and pakistan.. they suck at the moment.. they dont deserve to be there.. end of story.

TBH before this world cup started there was only 4 teams i thought had any chance

- The Tri Nations Countries (for those not in them.. New Zealand, Australia, South Africa)
- Sri Lanka

The cricket has been fine..... its the grounds.. the atmosphere.. and above everything.. the ICC for messing it all up.

its good to see the news orgs starting to stick it to the ICC over it all

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
This WC has been an unmitigated disaster. Obviously the murder overshadows everything, but the lack of crowds due to over-pricing and the fact that 2 of the "money" sides got knocked out due to a fatal flaw in this pool system where a minnow can execute a major side in 1 game have, along with a multitude of other things, spoiled it really. Hope the game we love can learn from it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Funny how nobody thought that this was a "fatal" flaw before the Tournament isn't it?

If sides can't beat the likes of Ireland then they don't deserve to go through, and have only themselves to blame, not "the system"

Perm

Yeah, however good it was for Bangladesh and Ireland to get through, it's hard not to admit that if India and Pakistan were still in, the Super 8 would probably have been a lot more interesting and competitive.
It has actually made the Super 8 a bit more interesting for me personally, as I have a chance to see the Irish and Bangladeshi cricketers in action since Sky TV didn't cover all of the group matches. Of course the standard of cricket has been compromised and this was always likely to be the case with a nation from outside the major 8 going through past pool play.

Funny how nobody thought that this was a "fatal" flaw before the Tournament isn't it?

If sides can't beat the likes of Ireland then they don't deserve to go through, and have only themselves to blame, not "the system"
Exactly, nobody from what I can remember was complaining previous to the tournament starting. It was all assumed that Pakistan would beat Ireland and that India would beat Bangladesh.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain

Let me take it a step further and say the fatal flaw led to Bob Woolmer's death then

Perm

No concrete evidence has been provided saying that Woolmer's death was a direct result of Pakistan being eliminated, although it would be folly and naivety trying to argue that the two had no connection.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
No concrete evidence has been provided saying that Woolmer's death was a direct result of Pakistan being eliminated, although it would be folly and naivety trying to argue that the two had no connection.
indeed...I'm not quite as diplomatic though Perm. It was a direct result.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Well said.

I consider this format easily the best since I started watching cricket in 1996.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well said.

I consider this format easily the best since I started watching cricket in 1996.
I doubt whether you'll find many Indians, Pakistani's or accountants involved in this cup will agree with you, not to mention Woolmer's family and friends

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ok 1st i can say being pretty sure that the format had nothing to do with mr. woolmer's death . they game might or might not have. Yeah Indian and Pakistani fans wouldn't like the format but I doubt the South Africans like the last format...ICC might not like it because big money is out but there was nothing they could do. If a team was to get out, no format change would keep them in.

pasag

RTDAS
Can't blame the format, I like it heaps. But there's no doubt that the WC, imo, would have been so much better with India and Pakistan in the Super 8s. I have no doubt about that at all. Obviously Ireland and Bangladesh going through is fair and they deserve it thoroughly, but will I be staying up for South Africa v Bangladesh tonight? Hell no. Would I have stayed up all night for South Africa v India? Hell yes.

Plus the poor crowds have been awful. There's such a big difference watching a match with a packed house and one that isn't. Just the buzz makes it awesome. That's been missing and it's killing it. Also the matches have been pretty boring. Even SL v England was dire till the end.

I miss Test match cricket so much itbt.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Yep, agreed. If this is the showcase of ODI cricket, Test cricket is certainly not under threat.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really contradictory...the fact that lesser teams were better than those two on the day has nothing to do with the format. I would probably rather have India and Pakistan there too (although Bangladesh are a massively talented team), but both Bangladesh and Ireland earnt their place in the Super 8 IMO.