Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwhelming

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    The only thing about this world cup that has really bothered me has been the poor crowds, and Sky TV's terrible coverage (or lack of it). Otherwise excellent.

It would be nice to have mainly West Indian commentators though. What's with all the English ones?
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Presumably the fact that there aren't a lot of high-ranking WI coms.

I mean, Tony Cozier, Michael Holding and Ian Bishop are the only ones that come to my mind. There's Donna Symmonds, too, but she's generally a radio-only gal.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Its almost impossible to stay awake right through the match for me. I did so in the India Bangla desh match and suffered two-fold.

Missed the excitement of Lasith Malinga bringing Sri Lanka back into the game for the same reason.

good enjoyable world cup imho
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Presumably the fact that there aren't a lot of high-ranking WI coms.

I mean, Tony Cozier, Michael Holding and Ian Bishop are the only ones that come to my mind. There's Donna Symmonds, too, but she's generally a radio-only gal.
    Who cares if they're high ranking or not? One of the pleasures of watching cricket from overseas is hearing from the local commentators. Except the Australian ones, of course.

What, you'd prefer hear some random guy who knows little about cricket than a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    What was the best match then Jono?

ANyhow, I'm enjoying what I've watched. highlights only for me from tomorrow onwards though
    SA vs. SL I'd say, even if the match did look dead for a lot of it.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

What, you'd prefer hear some random guy who knows little about cricket than a foreigner?
    I don't see how being local translates to a poor knowledge of the game. Besides, if I'm a New Zealander, aren't all West Indians foreign to me?

I was meaning foreign as in foreign to West Indies...

Commentating, sadly, is not merely about knowledge of the game - there will inevitably be a few Liam Camps' around the grounds - it takes skill at the mic as well as game knowledge. If there were more with such traits, there'd be more than 3 well-known WI coms.

I could argue the relative merits of the commentators we've been saddled with for this WC, but you know what I'm getting at.

TBH, The WC so far has failed to excite me on many accounts, the buzz and atmosphere on the grounds is missing that you expect in a big tournament like the WC, 2 big teams like Pakistan and India got knocked out in the first round. So these two major factors have played a part in lack of interest so far in the WC.

But i expect the WC to get more exciting and better when the big teams face each other in the Super 8's semis and finals.

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I could argue the relative merits of the commentators we've been saddled with for this WC, but you know what I'm getting at.
    Well, you seem to me to be getting at that you'd rather have 10 Trinidadians roped in from the bar in the box than the current incumbants?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, you seem to me to be getting at that you'd rather have 10 Trinidadians roped in from the bar in the box than the current incumbants?

Correct me if I'm wrong...
    No, I'd like to have the professional commentators that would cover a normal tour of the West Indies. This tournament is so generic that it barely matters where it's being held. Everything looks the same as everywhere else - the stadiums, the sponsors, the oppressive rules inside the grounds, the same old commentators.

If I have to get up at 2am to watch this stuff, I want it to feel like it's actually coming from the West Indies, not some sanitised, globalised Disneyland that the ICC may as well build indoors in Dubai.

Yeah, I can sort of understand that coming from you, TBH. It's very characteristic.

Returnig to older matters of this thread, this evening's game has gone quite some way to livening-up the event.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    No, I'd like to have the professional commentators that would cover a normal tour of the West Indies. This tournament is so generic that it barely matters where it's being held. Everything looks the same as everywhere else - the stadiums, the sponsors, the oppressive rules inside the grounds, the same old commentators.

If I have to get up at 2am to watch this stuff, I want it to feel like it's actually coming from the West Indies, not some sanitised, globalised Disneyland that the ICC may as well build indoors in Dubai.
    Yep, I think that's the overriding problem that has prevented me from enjoying the tournament. A total lack of Carribean flavour and atmosphere.

The Super 8 has also been depressingly predictable so far. Though Ireland and Bangladesh thoroughly deserved to progress, the absence of India and Pakistan from this phase, together with the embarrassing ongoing capitulation of the hosts, has dealt the tournament an almost critical blow in my opinion.

Great finish today perked things up, but now the semi-finalists seem to be all but sorted and we've still got about 3 weeks to get through.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information