Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Underwhelming

I've been loving it really. Although this is my first really serious WC - I wasn't tremendously "in" to cricket during the last one - I was only just starting to fully appreciate it all back then - so that could have something to do with it.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Loved it, and I didn't even watch the best match of the tournament so far, and my team went out in the group stage lol.
    What was the best match then Jono?

ANyhow, I'm enjoying what I've watched. highlights only for me from tomorrow onwards though
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Have only watched 2 games in full so far so it's been kinda hard to enjoy. Work\gym-going patterns have not been Cup-friendly, and when they have I've not exactly been enthralled by the prospect of Bermuda vs India or Canada vs New Zealand.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    This is my fourth World Cup, I suppose. I remember bits of pieces of '92 but I was really too young to appreciate it, and it's just snippets of the odd game that I recall anyway. I'd have watched most WC games in the three cups since then though, and then this one. '99 has been my favourite by a fair distance, and in all probability this one won't surpass it, but there's certainly potential there.

Best game so far was probably the one last night, but I didn't watch all that much of it live due to the Australia/Windies match and then sleep. Best one I've watched through would be Ireland and Zimbabwe for the contest, or Australia and South Africa for the quality of cricket.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Nah it's been an amazing WC.

And to be brutally honest, it would've been perfect if...

a) We had a better crowd in.

b) We had an India/Pak match.

c) Woolmer had not died .

Pinball Champion!
    It's been a good world cup cricket wise, we get such good coverage here in South Africa, they even postpone the news to accomodate cricket games on terrestrial..

What isn't so good is the lack of crowds though.. Really bad, I think this is the future of cricket where our money grabbing administrators seek to price the majority out of the game and skim the top... Also, if you build a 30,000 seater stadium on an island with only, say, 500,000 people living on it, you aren't going to get a full house are you?

What annoys me is that this amazing stadium in Antigua will probably never get a full house, ever..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

I think the group stages were far more exciting than anyone would have predicted before the tournamnet started. I do think we owe Malinga a debt of gratitude - until yesterday there hadn't been a close finish between good teams and I think the WC needed that (not sure the Saffies would agree with me though) Crowds have been poor though - us that because the dear old ICC have put the prices beyond the reach of locals or because the locals aren't interested? I'd go for the first reason...PS - I got told the BBC once delayed the news for cricket (the Test Cowdery came out to bat with a broken arm v WI at Lord's) how times change...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I've been loving it really. Although this is my first really serious WC - I wasn't tremendously "in" to cricket during the last one - I was only just starting to fully appreciate it all back then - so that could have something to do with it.
    Yeah, in the same situation really.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Someone hits 6 6s, someones takes 4 wickets in 4 balls, and there have been numerous innings over 300, and you call it boring....
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Someone hits 6 6s, someones takes 4 wickets in 4 balls, and there have been numerous innings over 300, and you call it boring....
    Mainly due to the lack of atmoshpere at the ground.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

foe
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    yup..the crowds have been very dissapointing..thought it wud pick up for the super 8's atleast...but even West indies matches have seen terrible attendence figures

I haven't been able to watch many matches.

Zim vs. Ireland was amazing. Pak vs. Ireland was a nail biter, even Pak vs. WI had some very good cricket from the WI. Sri Lanka, SA and Australia have all been constantly entertaining with NZ not far behind - IMO, the only games that have been boring so far have involved England.

International Vice-Captain
    Haven't seen an awful lot live for various reasons, but it seems alright so far though. Still plenty to come.

Tim
    The ticket prices have meant that really only the hardcore West Indian fans are going to show up and also the cashed up overseas touring parties.

The general punters just can't afford it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Such things don't automatically equate to interesting, though. With the probable exception of the 6 sixes. Obviously in this case the 4-in-4 was sensational, and who knows it may be the turning-point, but lots of 300+ scores are every bit as likely to downgrade rather than upgrade the quality.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information