• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Group Stage Review

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I mentioned elsewhere - good stuff from Kev, nice short'n'sharp round-up, 1 or 2 things occurred to me reading those that hadn't while I was watching (which I haven't been able to do as much as I'd have liked due to several things).

pup11

International Coach
To the point stuff there and that pretty much wraps up all the content about the Group stages of the WC.

The WC would have been so much better if both Pakistan and India could have qualified for the Super 8's (its an another thing that both these teams don't deserve to qualify for the Super 8's) and last but certainly not the least if Bob Woolmer won't have died in such tragic circumstances.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
To the point stuff there and that pretty much wraps up all the content about the Group stages of the WC.

The WC would have been so much better if both Pakistan and India could have qualified for the Super 8's (its an another thing that both these teams don't deserve to qualify for the Super 8's) and last but certainly not the least if Bob Woolmer won't have died in such tragic circumstances.
how would it be better, money aside? they would make as much impact as bangladesh and ireland will...

pup11

International Coach
I think if India and Pakistan would have made it to the Super 8's the interest in the WC would have been a lot higher then its atm, since both Pakistan and India have a huge fan following.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah, thats still money talking though...because more interest=more money...so it doesn't effect the cricket...

Evermind

International Debutant
Can you believe it - people're blaming the ICC format for India and Pak's exit! "OOh, they weren't given enough chances! OOoooh, they just lost twice! Ooooh....they needed time to get used to the conditions!" First people compain that the minnows may not be competitive enough...then they complain they're too competitive!

What a bunch of whiners. The ICC may be responsible for some ridiculous faux-pas, but this wasn't one: Ind and Pak were crap teams that did deserve to be kicked out. I do hope this puts into action some policy reforms in their respective local FC circuits and selection and management policies.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i agree....and i have been saying the same thing...you knew the format before you started playing....you had warm up matches to get to know the conditions of WI....stop whinging...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
how would it be better, money aside? they would make as much impact as bangladesh and ireland will...
India most certainly would have been more competitive than Ireland will be.

I thoroughly would have expected Pakistan to get belted in every game they played though, so I'll agree with you on that part..

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ok...tough love...it happens...happened to england and south africa in 2003...it will happen sometimes in any format..so lets to get rid of a good one...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can you believe it - people're blaming the ICC format for India and Pak's exit! "OOh, they weren't given enough chances! OOoooh, they just lost twice! Ooooh....they needed time to get used to the conditions!" First people compain that the minnows may not be competitive enough...then they complain they're too competitive!
Exactly - which is why they shouldn't have been there. It was a no-win situation.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
no, your wrong...they should be there...its a win win situation...india and pakistan gets to look into their system and fix it...while the game gets more exposure in the minnows countries...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you seriously imagine any long-term good in Indian and Pakistani domestic cricket is likely to come of this I think you're woefully mistaken.

And you're equally so if you think it's likely to make Ireland a ODI-class side at any point. Or to make any impact on whether or not Bangladesh become one.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well thats the problem with indian and pakistani cricket...and so it should be win win situation but wont happen which is still there fault...

it might not make ireland "odi-class" side immediately but it will raise awareness of cricket in ireland...which will likely result in more kids playing cricket...it will make a impact for bangladesh because they now are more confident than before..and its their accomplishment of their goals for this world cup...so this encourages players to do better...