• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC targets YouTube World Cup clips

pasag

RTDAS
The Guardian said:
Cricket World Cup clips taken off YouTube

The International Cricket Council has ordered YouTube to remove "hundreds" of World Cup clips claiming copyright infringement.....
To which Andrew Miller at cricinfo lashed out with:

Does this game know of any other ways to shoot itself in the foot? Only three days ago it was suggested on this website that the events of the past week might serve as a wake-up call for cricket's fiscally obsessed powerbrokers. Fat chance. A game run increasingly by lawyers for lawyers, has deemed it necessary to go to war on the very online enthusiasts who can spread the word of a game whose reputation has been dragged through the mincer.

It is an astoundingly short-sighted decision by a ruling body that has once again shown it is completely lacking in a sense of priorities. God knows that cricket could do with some good publicity at present. Only 24 hours ago, the ICC's Lawyer-in-Chief, Malcolm Speed, was telling Cricinfo how wonderful the match between Australia and South Africa at St Kitts was turning out to be. "Let's all just watch the cricket," he suggested when queried about the latest murmurings about Bob Woolmer's death. Mal, we'd love to. But 75% of your global audience have no means of tuning in.
Thoughts?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Miller, for a change. Particularly the way most of the world can't get live coverage of the 'World' Cup

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One would suspect that it is a clause in the contract added by Media and Television companies that buy the rights rather than anything the ICC do.

If the rights are sold (which as we know are the lifeblood of the sport) then things like this are to be expected as the TV companies protect their investment.

If everyone watched on youtube then the TV companies would recieve zero ad revenue and the rights would be worthless.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too bad you're not the one who paid for the exclusive telecast rights. 8-) Really easy to make such statements when its not your pocket getting lighter, isn't it?
More than 70% of the cricket supporters in the world can't afford the luxury of lightening their pockets and paying for rights.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Too bad you're not the one who paid for the exclusive telecast rights. 8-)
So let me get this straight: you're a telecaster who paid exclusive rights and you're mad because someone might catch exciting snippet a game which would cause them to WATCH future games and thus increase your ratings?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So let me get this straight: you're a telecaster who paid exclusive rights and you're mad because someone might catch exciting snippet a game which would cause them to WATCH future games and thus increase your ratings?
Well you could also add Google/Youtube profiting from the free broadcast of something that has cost a TV company piles of money to own.

Id love for someone to tell me how its fair for youtube to piggyback and profit from the investment of others?

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is exactly the logic used by software pirates. "Hey, we give the young 'uns a taste of the software for a nominal fee, and this actually benefits the big companies by preparing a consumer base for their products in future. We're social benefactors."

There is no guarantee a guy catching a snippet (basically all the juicy parts) on Youtube will increase the television channel's ratings. The ones increasing the channels ratings would already have subscribed to the it in the first place.

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
More than 70% of the cricket supporters in the world can't afford the luxury of lightening their pockets and paying for rights.
I can't afford many things. I do without them. :huh: This isn't an issue of merely telecast rights. Its questioning basic economic models and encouraging illegal activities. Something this site could get into trouble for, considering it seems to be one of the more prominent cricket related ones on the internet.

Fusion

Global Moderator
There can be a compromise here, that can work out in everyone's favor. ICC can partner with YouTube and actually give them clips to post on the site. In return, the clips can contain some brief advertisement messages at the start (which ICC can reimburse the sponsors with). This way, the clips can continue to be available, giving exposure to cricket and increasing interest. That should serve the ICC's best interest. And the television rights owner can be reimbursed a little with the advertisements.

sideshowtim

Banned
This is ridiculous. Does the ICC not realise that these videos will give them more publicity and spread cricket to a wider audience? Absolutely ridiculous.

Sudeep

International Captain
The way I see it is ICC is not losing anything out of YouTube showing it. It's not like it's "live" cricket. Plus, the quality of the clips is sometimes horrendous. I don't think a person WANTING to buy live coverage would stop doing that just so that YouTube has the clips.
On the other hand, YouTube is gaining something out of it, and morally that's incorrect, I guess. But if ICC "allegedly" has cricket's best interest in mind, YouTube broadcasting should NOT bother them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well you could also add Google/Youtube profiting from the free broadcast of something that has cost a TV company piles of money to own.

Id love for someone to tell me how its fair for youtube to piggyback and profit from the investment of others?
But really we're not talking about a popular TV show that has a set fan base. Cricket is trying to grow, and increase in popularity. I am not disputing that ICC/Broadcasters have the right to delete videos from YouTube. I am saying that it is a bad idea for them to do so, because even though YouTube benefits from having the videos, so does cricket.

This is exactly the logic used by software pirates.
Except its not, because you're not getting the whole game for free, and you're not getting it live. It would be like showing screen-shots of the software, instead of the software itself.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
you know what though...it doesn't really matter...because how many people who dont know about cricket are going to search cricket? yeah may be some will look at the clips when it shows up in the recent uploaded page but then no one will really go look for it unless you're really already into cricket a bit...so it doesn't really help cricket all that much either...plus the icc is just taking down clips of the current world cup not any other cricket clips(or am i wrong?!?). The best thing in my opinion to spread the word about cricket to places like the US, Canada etc would be sites like myspace! They could make a account there and pay myspace some money to have it in the main page of myspace as featured account. They could have some videos that would be a intro to cricket(similar to the links i gave for the guy in the cricket chat forum). That way alot more people would atleast know about what cricket is.

GGG

State Captain
precisly! only way I could watch Holland beat Scotland was the highlights via youtube ffs!

greedy bastards
What countries can't get coverage? Holland = Ary Digital yeah you would need to buy a satellite system and a 100 euro package. I can understand them going after the hundreds of sites streaming it live for free or shady sites charging like cricketon, that sites been up for ever. But short low resolution clips on youtube, they should be thanking youtube for the free marketing.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but in all these cricket clips it's not as if all the advertising crap has been removed - you still see the shirt sponsors and the advertising boards and so forth. That means bigger coverage and more money.