Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC targets YouTube World Cup clips

ICC targets YouTube World Cup clips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian
    Cricket World Cup clips taken off YouTube

The International Cricket Council has ordered YouTube to remove "hundreds" of World Cup clips claiming copyright infringement.....
    To which Andrew Miller at cricinfo lashed out with:

Does this game know of any other ways to shoot itself in the foot? Only three days ago it was suggested on this website that the events of the past week might serve as a wake-up call for cricket's fiscally obsessed powerbrokers. Fat chance. A game run increasingly by lawyers for lawyers, has deemed it necessary to go to war on the very online enthusiasts who can spread the word of a game whose reputation has been dragged through the mincer.

It is an astoundingly short-sighted decision by a ruling body that has once again shown it is completely lacking in a sense of priorities. God knows that cricket could do with some good publicity at present. Only 24 hours ago, the ICC's Lawyer-in-Chief, Malcolm Speed, was telling Cricinfo how wonderful the match between Australia and South Africa at St Kitts was turning out to be. "Let's all just watch the cricket," he suggested when queried about the latest murmurings about Bob Woolmer's death. Mal, we'd love to. But 75% of your global audience have no means of tuning in.
    Thoughts?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

greedy bastards, would sell their mother to make a buck
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

I agree with Miller, for a change. Particularly the way most of the world can't get live coverage of the 'World' Cup
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

still scratching around in the same old hole
    One would suspect that it is a clause in the contract added by Media and Television companies that buy the rights rather than anything the ICC do.

If the rights are sold (which as we know are the lifeblood of the sport) then things like this are to be expected as the TV companies protect their investment.

If everyone watched on youtube then the TV companies would recieve zero ad revenue and the rights would be worthless.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Wow, sucks so much that people can watch cricket and maybe become future consumers and fans of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Wow, sucks so much that people can watch cricket and maybe become future consumers and fans of the game.
    Too bad you're not the one who paid for the exclusive telecast rights.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton B View Post
    Too bad you're not the one who paid for the exclusive telecast rights. Really easy to make such statements when its not your pocket getting lighter, isn't it?
    More than 70% of the cricket supporters in the world can't afford the luxury of lightening their pockets and paying for rights.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton B View Post
    Too bad you're not the one who paid for the exclusive telecast rights.
    So let me get this straight: you're a telecaster who paid exclusive rights and you're mad because someone might catch exciting snippet a game which would cause them to WATCH future games and thus increase your ratings?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Add that to the fact that there aren't telecast rights in many countries...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

still scratching around in the same old hole
    So let me get this straight: you're a telecaster who paid exclusive rights and you're mad because someone might catch exciting snippet a game which would cause them to WATCH future games and thus increase your ratings?
    Well you could also add Google/Youtube profiting from the free broadcast of something that has cost a TV company piles of money to own.

Id love for someone to tell me how its fair for youtube to piggyback and profit from the investment of others?

This is exactly the logic used by software pirates. "Hey, we give the young 'uns a taste of the software for a nominal fee, and this actually benefits the big companies by preparing a consumer base for their products in future. We're social benefactors."

There is no guarantee a guy catching a snippet (basically all the juicy parts) on Youtube will increase the television channel's ratings. The ones increasing the channels ratings would already have subscribed to the it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    More than 70% of the cricket supporters in the world can't afford the luxury of lightening their pockets and paying for rights.
    I can't afford many things. I do without them. This isn't an issue of merely telecast rights. Its questioning basic economic models and encouraging illegal activities. Something this site could get into trouble for, considering it seems to be one of the more prominent cricket related ones on the internet.

There can be a compromise here, that can work out in everyone's favor. ICC can partner with YouTube and actually give them clips to post on the site. In return, the clips can contain some brief advertisement messages at the start (which ICC can reimburse the sponsors with). This way, the clips can continue to be available, giving exposure to cricket and increasing interest. That should serve the ICC's best interest. And the television rights owner can be reimbursed a little with the advertisements.

This is ridiculous. Does the ICC not realise that these videos will give them more publicity and spread cricket to a wider audience? Absolutely ridiculous.

The way I see it is ICC is not losing anything out of YouTube showing it. It's not like it's "live" cricket. Plus, the quality of the clips is sometimes horrendous. I don't think a person WANTING to buy live coverage would stop doing that just so that YouTube has the clips.
    On the other hand, YouTube is gaining something out of it, and morally that's incorrect, I guess. But if ICC "allegedly" has cricket's best interest in mind, YouTube broadcasting should NOT bother them.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information