• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserve Days

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We've seen a few games now, reduced quite a bit. Now I don't mind when it's reduced to say 40 overs a-side, but in the WC, regardless of who is playing, I don't want to see 21 overs each. The DL system works well in itself, but wouldn't it be preferable to use reserve days? Especially on a day like today, where no other Cricket is scheduled.

What does everybody think?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think the purpose of the reserve days should be to avoid clearly disadvantaging a side, like with Bermuda yesterday. Fair enough if there's a delayed start and a reduced match, but when you've got a day in hand a team shouldn't have to be on and off the field constantly in a desperate attempt to fit in 20 measly overs before the sun goes down. Wait until it clears up totally, or move on to the second day.

There's obviously scheduling concerns that make them want to keep it all to one day per game, but the quality of the cricket shouldn't suffer.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously the prime reason for the reduced over games rather than use the reserve day is to fit TV schedules and secondly to give the crowd in attendance a completed game if possible.

Whether I agree with that or not it is understandable and there is a cut off at 20 overs min before the rest day is used.

Its not like the rest day is ignored. Maybe the only comprimise would be to increase the the min overs to constitute a game, but even if it was increased to 30 or 40 the same issues would occur.

Obviously its not fair to have one team bat one day in the gloom and the rain for 50 overs and the next day the other team bat in glorious sunshine. At least the current system gives the same advantages/disadvantages to both teams.

The other potential way to go would be to start the game over on the reserve day. However, is that fair to take away good performances with the bat and ball achieved on the abandoned day?

In all honesty, any system regarding the weather has its flaws. If a different system was in place it would be just as easy to complain about that.

The current system is far from perfect but it seems a decent attempt

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah i agree with goughy...anyways it helped bermuda more than bangladesh...because they wouldn't have batted 50 overs and so the d/l made it even more interesting game...