• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent - Out of the WC 2007 bcoz of Wrist Injury

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Bad luck to NZ before the WC....Didnt want to start of S8 in this way missing our main top order batsman and good fielder..

I started this thread only to discuss who could be a better opening partner to Fleming.

Would you like McCullum to open with Fleming?

Your views invited

Rich2001

International Captain
I started this thread only to discuss who could be a better opening partner to Fleming.

Would you like McCullum to open with Fleming?
I would personally leave McCullum down the order, he just seems so much more dangous in the last 15 overs than when up the order. However in saying that he did say in an interview after the Canada game that he had enjoyed his time up the order and wouldn't mind going up there again at some point - So is probley leading the running.

Not knowing New Zealand cricket massively well are the new guys in Taylor (if fit) or Fulton an option?

Fiery

Banned
I would personally leave McCullum down the order, he just seems so much more dangous in the last 15 overs than when up the order. However in saying that he did say in an interview after the Canada game that he had enjoyed his time up the order and wouldn't mind going up there again at some point - So is probley leading the running.

Not knowing New Zealand cricket massively well are the new guys in Taylor (if fit) or Fulton an option?
I would send Sinclair over and open with Fulton. It's a shame Papps wasn't in the squad of 30 as his form warrants selection

Natman20

International Debutant
Very dissapointing news. Vincent was the difference in other recent games and now I see this world cup as very difficult for NZ because of the amount of injuries we have sustained so far. MArtin deserves to be there more than Tuffey and I would like to see Harris reappear although it will probably just be someone like Hamish MArshall that will come in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would send Sinclair over and open with Fulton. It's a shame Papps wasn't in the squad of 30 as his form warrants selection
Fairly certain the selectors can venture outside of the 30-man pool, as its main intention is to generate hype.

GGG

State Captain
It's Hamish Marshall, unbelievable! I have serious doubts about the sanity of our selecteds, first Tuffey and now this. I am with you Natman20 it had to be Harris or Adams.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm fairly certain you can't but not 100%. Maybe someone can confirm this
I remember reading on CricInfo before the World Cup that that was the case. It was an article about Darren Gough, hinting that he may have been called into action for England. It stated that England was granted permission to go outside the 30-man squad with the reasoning of the pool pertaining largely to publicity for the event.

Rich2001

International Captain
I think your find that you are ment to stay within the 30 selected - however if you can give them a really, really good reason as to why you need to go outside then they will look at it on a case by case basics.

What you need to remember in the above article is that the ECB Never asked for this, it was all media hype when we were getting destoryed in Australia and the media looking for options outside the party.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think your find that you are ment to stay within the 30 selected - however if you can give them a really, really good reason as to why you need to go outside then they will look at it on a case by case basics.
I don't think there needs to be a really great reason actually. What was England's big reason? The only reason they could possibly have outlined would have been that the seamers they picked in the 30 were inexperienced or crap. Really, what else could it have been? That said, I don't know if England were granted permission, as I never read a follow-up to the story. It's likely that the request was turned down.

Either way, I don't see any reasoning by the ICC to constrict a country to the 30-man squad, when it's commonly acknowledged that its intention is to assist in publicity for the World Cup.

Fiery

Banned
I don't think there needs to be a really great reason actually. What was England's big reason? The only reason they could possibly have outlined would have been that the seamers they picked in the 30 were inexperienced or crap. Really, what else could it have been? That said, I don't know if England were granted permission, as I never read a follow-up to the story. It's likely that the request was turned down.

Either way, I don't see any reasoning by the ICC to constrict a country to the 30-man squad, when it's commonly acknowledged that its intention is to assist in publicity for the World Cup.
Doesn't matter now anyway as Hamish Marshall has been given the call-up apparently. Heaven help us.

Rich2001

International Captain

There was never actually a request made, it was all the Media hype because our bowlers were performing so badly at the time, so they went down the route of lets hype up some players and get the ECB to change their minds.

Mr Mxyzptlk

There was never actually a request made, it was all the Media hype because our bowlers were performing so badly at the time, so they went down the route of lets hype up some players and get the ECB to change their minds.
Irresponsible journalism by the Daily Mail? Don't kid yourself, Rich. :sleep: