• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent - Out of the WC 2007 bcoz of Wrist Injury

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Marshall- a good call for him. Fulton opening the batting will further strong the batting strength of NZ. Its turning to be good fortune month for NZ, with all the good coming in place automatically without any worries. Now, we just need to see no one from here is injured!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And yet before his most recent recall he'd still been very poor.
Yea, but until his form breaks down again, you can't discredit him as being no good. Because while he's scoring runs, he's good enough.

Note that "you" is a general term here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yea, but until his form breaks down again, you can't discredit him as being no good. Because while he's scoring runs, he's good enough.

Note that "you" is a general term here.
Yep, I wasn't saying he's been no good since his latest recall, far from it. His presence has been fully justified from that 1st innings in the CBS.

But between his recall in 2005\06 and his latest dropping, he was still very poor in the most part. IMO you can't fail to differentiate between the Vincent of his latest incarnation and the Vincent of said previous one.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you want Danny and Mark to open with you in your club cricket. Sure they wont agree with you! Try your luck
I was joking... based on the fact that Vettori has opened in the past (somewhat bizarrely - though there are certainly worse options - you've got far less to lose by trying to turn Vettori into an opener than you have with Fulton\McMillan\any other genuine middle-order batsman) and KiWiNiNjA's comment in the NZ BC thread.

Raghav

I was joking... based on the fact that Vettori has opened in the past (somewhat bizarrely - though there are certainly worse options - you've got far less to lose by trying to turn Vettori into an opener than you have with Fulton\McMillan\any other genuine middle-order batsman) and KiWiNiNjA's comment in the NZ BC thread.
ok.

Mr Mxyzptlk

You may have been joking, but I'm entirely serious. Here's a thought - Daniel Vettori is a better batsman than Peter Fulton. More Test hundreds, more Test fifties and he crosses 50 more often than Fulton. He needs a chance to shine!

I'm not backing down off this point.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm...

I'd agree with the needs a chance to shine, certainly.

Probably leave it at that for now. :) Not sure Fulton has had any fair go at Test level yet - I'll give him more than 3 innings (which I've read little of TBH and certainly didn't see) before I make any real judgement on him. He certainly would appear to have some potential there.

Last edited:

Raghav

You may have been joking, but I'm entirely serious. Here's a thought - Daniel Vettori is a better batsman than Peter Fulton. More Test hundreds, more Test fifties and he crosses 50 more often than Fulton. He needs a chance to shine!

I'm not backing down off this point.
'Vettori is better batsman the fulton' - This line is not looking good. I dont agree with this

_Ed_

Fulton has only played as an opener in Tests and he looked out of his depth against Ntini and Steyn in that role, having never done it before in first-class cricket (I believe).

I'm hoping he'll be more comfortable doing it in ODIs though...

Raghav

Fulton, when we look at his last 10 performances, we can see that he always crossed 25 runs in most cases. What more do you need for your opener who promises u 25 good runs and establishing good partnership

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fulton has only played as an opener in Tests and he looked out of his depth against Ntini and Steyn in that role, having never done it before in first-class cricket (I believe).

I'm hoping he'll be more comfortable doing it in ODIs though...
He actually batted three in his first 3 innings at home to Sri Lanka (scoring 17, 28 and 75) but yeah, no way can you say someone's poor because they can't open in Tests when they're not an opener.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Vettori is a left-handed Martin Crowe.

Trying to see how far I can push this before tongue-in-cheek occurs to everyone else...

Vettori is more handsome than Peter Fulton. Purrrr.