• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Martin replaces Tuffey

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
*sarcasm*

why would you have a coldplay singer replace tuffers?

:laugh:

anyway...

fair deal, hope he won't have to bat tbh :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Poor decision, Chris Harris must be feeling terribly unlucky.
I guess with Gillespie still out injured and Mason bowling pies against Canada, they wanted to make sure they had another opening bowling option.

From what I've seen of the pitches so far though, Harris would be ideal in combination with Vettori in the middle overs - can't really fault Patel so far though, and NZ did need the extra new ball bowling depth.

If Gillespie is sent home, I reckon Harris will indeed be sent over - or I hope so, anyway.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess with Gillespie still out injured and Mason bowling pies against Canada, they wanted to make sure they had another opening bowling option.

From what I've seen of the pitches so far though, Harris would be ideal in combination with Vettori in the middle overs - can't really fault Patel so far though, and NZ did need the extra new ball bowling depth.

If Gillespie is sent home, I reckon Harris will indeed be sent over - or I hope so, anyway.
I hope so too, he has been on fire for Canterbury in the State Shield and State Championship.

Rich2001

International Captain
Exactly what I'd have said if you hadn't beaten me to it.

Franklin, Tuffey, Mason, Martin... what has he done wrong? :wacko:
Well like it was said it's probley not so much what he has done wrong more to do with the player pulling out.

NZ don't excatly need another AR in there they already bat to 9/10 as it is - And it's been their new ball bowling that has been their weak area so far with Franklin not doing a great deal - Martin comes in as a genuine bowler.

If anyone else had gone home Iam pretty sure Harris would have been there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Vincent now has... :mellow:

Seriously, though, Harris is a front-line bowler, he's proven that all his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Vincent now has... :mellow:

Seriously, though, Harris is a front-line bowler, he's proven that all his career.
He's neither a new ball bowler nor an opening batsman. And I never considered him a front-line bowler either. I don't think New Zealand did either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He used to bowl 10 overs often enough and plenty often bowl well, too. Just look at his record.

I wasn't actually suggesting he replace Vincent, BTW. Was just an aside.

And he doesn't need to be an opening bowler. Bond and Franklin can open.

Mr Mxyzptlk

He used to bowl 10 overs often enough and plenty often bowl well, too. Just look at his record.

I wasn't actually suggesting he replace Vincent, BTW. Was just an aside.

And he doesn't need to be an opening bowler. Bond and Franklin can open.
And what if Franklin, as he often does, gets belted in his first couple of overs? You turn to the slow stuff right away? You let Oram - quite ineffective these days - try to stem the flow? The reasoning of New Zealand is they want to have more than 3 proper seamers at their disposal. If one is injured then, there are still options in selection. They don't want to be forced into playing the likes of Franklin.

Regarding Harris bowling 10 overs a game, Chris Gayle bowls 8-10 very often. Do you consider him a front-line bowler? Fair enough if you do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I pretty well do, TBH. Even though he's a batsman more than a bowler, I'd have few qualms about going into a game expecting him to bowl 10.

I'd also not have many qualms about bowling Oram and Harris soon up. Harris might be "slow" but he's no spinner - he's a seamer and the wicketkeeper standing-up is usually enough to keep the batsmen from going down the pitch. So if he can hit a length (which he usually can) I'd not have many qualms about bowling him in the Powerplays.

Oram, meanwhile, has always had ups and downs as a ODI bowler. Not so very long ago he went for 6.5-an-over in a 6-game tournament (with 1 wicket).

I'm confident he'll find his lines and lengths again soon. Remember, he was out of bowling for nigh on 2 years.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Oram, meanwhile, has always had ups and downs as a ODI bowler. Not so very long ago he went for 6.5-an-over in a 6-game tournament (with 1 wicket).

I'm confident he'll find his lines and lengths again soon. Remember, he was out of bowling for nigh on 2 years.
Unlike his batting, his bowling has been the model of inconsistency of late. He's mixed in some very good and economical performances with some atrocious showings. In his last 10 games he averages 152.50 with an economy of 4.55. In that time he's turned in the like of 7-1-17-1, 10-0-22-0 and 7-1-16-0, but also the likes of 5-0-50-0, 5-0-44-0 and 5-0-29-0. It's easy to see why New Zealand won't be extremely confident in what he can bring to offer heading into a game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, he's copped some pastings and got some excellent spells.

But he's a front-line bowler - and he has the potential to be a very good one. IMO NZ simply must back him. Every game he must be treated as a certainty to bowl 10 overs.

Especially with the likes of Martin and Franklin in the side who you are normally extremely dependable. You can depend on them to go for plenty.

thierry henry

International Coach
He's neither a new ball bowler nor an opening batsman. And I never considered him a front-line bowler either. I don't think New Zealand did either.
Of course we considered him a front line bowler. Good for 10 overs unless he was getting hit, always one of the first 5 used, just like any other front line bowler.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always considered Chris Harris a frontline bowler in ODI's, and I do consider Chris Gayle one aswell. Integral part of their side and regularly called upon to bowl 10 overs.

thierry henry

International Coach
Unlike his batting, his bowling has been the model of inconsistency of late. He's mixed in some very good and economical performances with some atrocious showings. In his last 10 games he averages 152.50 with an economy of 4.55. In that time he's turned in the like of 7-1-17-1, 10-0-22-0 and 7-1-16-0, but also the likes of 5-0-50-0, 5-0-44-0 and 5-0-29-0. It's easy to see why New Zealand won't be extremely confident in what he can bring to offer heading into a game.
Styris was in the same boat prior to some good showings at this WC.

Based on their career records over a period of time NZ need to have some faith in Oram and Styris being able to do a job as frontline bowlers (or close to it) who can potentially bowl 10.

You also seem to have forgotten that NZ could bowl Styris instead of (or as well as) Harris in the first 20.

_Ed_

The problem if Harris was to get a call-up (another injury would be required so let's hope he doesn't need to be), would be where to have him bat. Surely he'd have to bat below McCullum, but that would mean he'd be at 8 which just wouldn't suit him. He takes a few overs to get settled before he starts to attack, and he would very rarely get that at eight.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to see Chris Martin get interviewed straight after a duck and him to come out with the line "Nobody said it was easy..."