• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bermuda wins!!!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know most Kiwis and Aussies are bloody happy and jumping around celebrating because it makes it that little bit easier for them , but everyone and anyone with sensible cricketing knowledge base would say India would beat Bang 9 out of 10 times, it was a bit unfortunate that, that 1 out of 10 occurrence happened at the time where it mattered .... So thats my argument... I won't waste my time getting into an argument on this, ok...
Honestly Jason, it doesn't worry me either way because I am confident that New Zealand can beat both India and Bangladesh. What I am disagreeing with is the fact that you think it is unfair that India were knocked out, when quite clearly both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh played better cricket than them when it counted. I realise that normally India would comfortably dispose of Bangladesh, but you only get one chance when it comes to a tournament like this and India just didn't take that chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rumour has it that Bermuda Team was coached for the last 2 days by several Indian Ex-cricketers and current cricketers.....:laugh: Expect a surprise about-turn of Bermuda's performances... Bermuda to win tonight !! I am hoping ....India are a quality side and its not fair that they should be knocked out because of 1 bad day against Bangladesh .
Why is it not fair?

You don't perform, you go out.

This Tournament was set up for the top 8 sides to get through to the Super 8s, any of them that don't get through only have themselves to blame.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India are a quality side and its not fair that they should be knocked out because of 1 bad day against Bangladesh .
So Bangladesh, who played absolutely brilliantly to beat India, don't deserve to go through because of it? What more do they have to do?!

And it's got nothing to do with who I'd rather have NZ play in the next round. In all honesty, I'm as nervous about a match against Bangladesh in the Super Eights as I would be against India. Bangladesh beat us in a warm-up game remember.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I would also hope that the ICC looks into the Bank Accounts of some of the Groundsmen at this World Cup preparing pitches ..... :mellow:
Why? Because the pitch for the Sri Lanka vs. India game was made ideal for the Indian team and still they lost?

Oh God 8-)!

I know most Kiwis and Aussies are bloody happy and jumping around celebrating because it makes it that little bit easier for them, but everyone and anyone with sensible cricketing knowledge base would say India would beat Bang 9 out of 10 times, it was a bit unfortunate that, that 1 out of 10 occurrence happened at the time where it mattered .... So that’s my argument... I won't waste my time getting into an argument on this, ok...
Well, if India are such a quality team that can cream the Bangladeshi attack so well, why did they not?
Oh wait that was a "bad day" and not a day when the opposition played well and India played bad!

Okay so being the quality side that India is, why did they not beat Sri Lanka? That was another day, another match and another pitch which was made favorably for the Indians as per the pitch report before the match!

Well, still India should play? Even after the verdict of senior players such as Kapil Dev and Dravid saying "We don't deserve to go to the next round" :huh:?????

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
The only scenario I can see it happening is if Bremuda bat first, Hemp get a ton they scramble say 220 and Bangladesh crack under pressure - but they've played minnows a lot recently and defeated them so they are used to being favourites now (a big difference between now and 2003)

Mr Mxyzptlk

I know most Kiwis and Aussies are bloody happy and jumping around celebrating because it makes it that little bit easier for them , but everyone and anyone with sensible cricketing knowledge base would say India would beat Bang 9 out of 10 times, it was a bit unfortunate that, that 1 out of 10 occurrence happened at the time where it mattered .... So thats my argument... I won't waste my time getting into an argument on this, ok...
On World Cup history, Bangladesh would likely beat India 100% of the time. And on total history, Bangaldesh would have a 13% chance of beating India. Be realistic, maaaan.

shankar

International Debutant
This Tournament was set up for the top 8 sides to get through to the Super 8s...
How is that? It's quite obvious that the format this world cup, is far more conducive for a 'minnow' to qualify to the next stage than the previous ones.

Mr Mxyzptlk

How is that? It's quite obvious that the format this world cup, is far more conducive for a 'minnow' to qualify to the next stage than the previous ones.
And yet there was only one "group of death" in this tournament? Realistically, Group B is the only one that was at all expected to get interesting.

Rich2001

International Captain
Not really as a "Minnow" would need to win two games (out of three) to go through and with two of the big teams in their group you would never expect them to achieve that. Even if they got lucky in 1 they would still need another win and even against the other minnow team they are so evenly matched that anyone could win.

Basically the bigger the groups the more big teams you have therefore a higher chance of minnows going through because the big teams would keep beating each other.

In saying that Bangladesh are not a minnow team so we have in fact only had one minnow go through in Ireland and they throughly deserved it after beating Pakistan and making a massive comback against Zimbabwe.

shankar

International Debutant
Not really as a "Minnow" would need to win two games (out of three) to go through and with two of the big teams in their group you would never expect them to achieve that. Even if they got lucky in 1 they would still need another win and even against the other minnow team they are so evenly matched that anyone could win.

Basically the bigger the groups the more big teams you have therefore a higher chance of minnows going through because the big teams would keep beating each other.
It's simple. If the winner of the match between the two 'minnows' wins against weaker of the 2 bigger teams, they have a very good chance go through to the next stage. This was not the case in previous formats where a top-8 team that lost to a minnow managed to beat at least one of the other top-8 team and go through ahead of the minnow.

I'm not making light of Ireland's or Bangladesh's achievements. I'm just saying that they've had a much better shot at leap-frogging a top-8 team into the super-8 than previous world cups.

Rich2001

International Captain
It's simple. If the winner of the match between the two 'minnows' wins against weaker of the 2 bigger teams, they have a very good chance go through to the next stage. This was not the case in previous formats where a top-8 team that lost to a minnow managed to beat at least one of the other top-8 team and go through ahead of the minnow.

I'm not making light of Ireland's or Bangladesh's achievements. I'm just saying that they've had a much better shot at leap-frogging a top-8 team into the super-8 than previous world cups.
Is it not the same with more teams though?

If a minnow beats all its fellow minnows and then scores one win against a big team chances are they would go through?

shankar

International Debutant
Is it not the same with more teams though?

If a minnow beats all its fellow minnows and then scores one win against a big team chances are they would go through?
No. In that case the upset team would beat the other minnow and have like 3 other matches in which they'd have to win just one (with their NRR likely to be better than the 'minnow' because they won't suffer as many heavy defeats as the minnow). In the present scenario they have just one chance to redeem their failure.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
Even if it was a league format, I highly doubt that India would have gone through. In the current format can you think team like Australia or South Africa not to qualify even in your wildest dream? Its only possible from India, Pakistan and perhaps West Indies.

No. In that case the upset team would beat the other minnow and have like 3 other matches in which they'd have to win just one (with their NRR likely to be better than the 'minnow' because they won't suffer as many heavy defeats as the minnow). In the present scenario they have just one chance to redeem their failure.