• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think is favourites now to win World Cup

Wakatwo

Cricket Spectator
Im from New Zealand and i think the way that we are batting may not take us all the way to the final. Simply saying this is that When our top order bat good middle order fail agaisnt good teams such as england, australia, sri lanka. But when our top order fail our middle order play good.

If the blackcaps can make both openers and middle order play good shots and score runs without much time eg getting 60-90 runs with a strike rate above 90 or maybe 100 that will be good for us. But my favourites would have to be either Sri Lanka the form that they are on, South Africa but australia to test them but New Zealand is a team that can pull things out and chase down big totals such as in the Chapel-Hadlee series.

World Cup final.

Sri Lanka v South Africa
New Zealand v South Africa
New Zealand v Sri Lanka
South Africa v Australia
Sri Lanka v Australia

irfan

State Captain
Joint favourites are Australia & South Africa. That may change after their clash tommorrow tho.

Second favourites are NZ and SL.

All four teams are undefeated and I will go out on a limb and say they are close to dead-set semi-finalists atleast.

Wakatwo

Cricket Spectator
South Africa or Australia really? i dont think Australia will make it, i dont want them to win because i think Ricky Ponting is up himself because he is great batter but saying that ireland, scotland, netherlands shouldnt play ireland knocked over pakistan and drew with zimbabwe that is a great effort

oz_fan

International Regular
I'd say that Australia would just take the favourites tag followed closely by SA. NZ and SL have been impressive though so it should be a close contest all the way through

Wakatwo

Cricket Spectator
Yeah this world cup i think has been a much better one already with upsets and better performances by the home team west indies and other teams but it is sad that pakistan or india couldnt perform they are great teams in there own level but just couldnt do it when it mattered

Dissector

International Debutant
Australia because of their big match temparament.

SL and SA will give them a run for their money. WI would probably be in no. 4 position. I think NZ is overrated; I don't really see them going all the way at all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia are favourites. Can't really see the logic behind any other argument, really. They're clearly the best ODI team in the world, the most proven side in pressure situations, and they're in a perfectly decent positon to make the semi-finals. Lee's loss may count big if Tait doesn't step up, though.

Obviously there's a number of other teams that can win it. South Africa and Sri Lanka also reasonable bets. Can see NZ making the semis at least, though it's hard to imagine them winning it.

The_Bunny

State Regular
South Africa or Australia really? i dont think Australia will make it, i dont want them to win because i think Ricky Ponting is up himself because he is great batter but saying that ireland, scotland, netherlands shouldnt play ireland knocked over pakistan and drew with zimbabwe that is a great effort
Weather or not Ponting is up himself doesnt have much to do with Australias chances8-)

And he wasnt the only one who didnt like the Minnows being in the WC (myself I like the idea but then I'm not the only playing 2 months of cricket)

AUS SA SRL and NZ to make the semi's....
I'll go against the flow and pick England as the next most likely for a semi spot:ph34r:

Its actually possible8-)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I'd stick to Australia (although they haven't been tested yet) but I thought SL could get to the Final even before this tournament started and I see no reason to change my mind. In fact the form of Silva is a bonus because some people were saying pre WC if you stopped SL's top four where will they get the runs from but it hasn't been a problem so far...

Wakatwo

Cricket Spectator
Its in the closing stages of Sa v Aus game with like 15 overs or sumthing left and South Africa are playing good cricket when they have to. Shame that Smith went of hurt but they are sticking with the req run rate and they are always nearly just ahead of the comparison. Its a great game im hoping south africa win cause i picked them to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Was clearly a joke.

Anyway, SL look like a great outfit, really disciplined, but I worry about them if Vaas gets hit early. South Africa are awesome but are missing that slow bowling option which could prove crucial. I think NZ lack one more quality bowler, and the WI two. England I don't think are really in with a chance unless they get a proper top order. So Australia for me.

Wakatwo

Cricket Spectator
Yip australia played good today, But a bit disappointed with kallis he didnt look like a attacking batter