• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post Mortem: India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The captaincy issue would have been solved had Kaif actually kicked on in ODI cricket with the form he was showing back in 2005. I was calling for him to be the next captain ages ago, and I wasn't alone IIRC. Now, he can't even make the WC squad.

Shattering.

adharcric

International Coach
The captaincy issue would have been solved had Kaif actually kicked on in ODI cricket with the form he was showing back in 2005. I was calling for him to be the next captain ages ago, and I wasn't alone IIRC. Now, he can't even make the WC squad.

Shattering.
Kaif should replace Dravid as captain. He had a fine Ranji one-day season and has proven captaincy credentials. In addition, he would set one hell of an example in the field. Ganguly-Tendulkar-Kaif-Yuvraj-Dravid will work while Sourav and Sachin are in the scheme of things. Definitely time to rebuild, gradually. Powar needs to replace Bhajji and it's time to move on from Agarkar.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Time for changes really.. All the ODI's the teams play is eventually a build up to world cup and Gangully, Sachin, AA and maybe Dravid aren't likely to play 2011 world cup, so time to change things around. Give the younsters time to develop, give them a fair go rather than giving one or 2 chances and expecting to perform or perish. Where's our stars are allowed the luxury of having many failures.
I don't know if you been watching indian matches or not but you can clearly see Gangully doesn't have it in him to play ODI anymore, playing too defensive and can't even put away the bad balls. Add to that his running between the wickets isn't that great. Must admit his fielding has improved heaps thou.
well you cant just put in bunch of youngsters...you have to blend them in...kick some old out bring in some new...kick more old out...bring in some new...but you cant make the transition to fast...because that doesn't really help...the young could learn from the old and then the old bows out...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Kaif should take over the captaincy tbh. He had a fine Ranji OD season and has proven captaincy credentials. He would also set one hell of an example in the field.
they never really gave him time...he got in and even if the did good...they dropped him...

adharcric

International Coach
they never really gave him time...he got in and even if the did good...they dropped him...
Let's hope things change. Yuvraj doesn't look like great captaincy material and Dravid needs to go if better options are available. Kaif is the only one.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah this Kaif mania is pretty silly. Kaif is not really a contender for the Indian ODI team let alone for captain. He averages 32 which is fattened by above-50 averages against Zim and BD. He averages all of 12 against Australia from 8 games. He averaged less than 20 in 2006. I am sure most here have seen him scratching around painfully in various ODI's.

pup11

International Coach
Look guys what happened to the Indian team during the WC didn't suprise me one bit to be brutally honest, out of their last 15 games outside India they have just won 2 games so how does anyone expect them to do great things during the WC.

Its just a classic case of the Indian fans being over-ambitious about the India's chances at this WC, and Sachin now being considered as the next Indian captain just shows where Indian cricket is heading atm.

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
India lost because they are plain not good enogh. As simple as that. The main things to do to improve this are:

1. A strenuous fitness regimen, where they train with weights at least thrice a week and run at least 3 miles everyday.

This is the most critical thing. If they do this, they will automatically become better in the field. Look at this guy for instance on the right:

He has no business playing!

2. Drop Sehwag, Tendulkar from among batsmen. Drop Harbhajan Singh and Ajit Agarkar from among bowlers.

Need to bring in that guy Hemang Badani, who's experienced and always did well and Kaif and Dinesh Mongia. Get back Powar and some other fast bowler.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How can you talk about Sehwag not playing due to fitness and then say bring back powar? Either you want fit players - or you don't. Sehwag should be dropped obviously, but then don't use fitness to take a shot at him if you wan't Powar in the team.

adharcric

International Coach
Thats a reallllly odd statement. Unless you were joking and I missed it. How do you give the captaincy to a guy who is not even in the ODI team, and light years away from the Test team?
My bad. I meant to say that Kaif should replace Dravid when the opportunity arises. He obviously can't become captain straight away but he's the best middle-term option IMO. Right now, are there any better options than Dravid?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My bad. I meant to say that Kaif should replace Dravid when the opportunity arises. He obviously can't become captain straight away but he's the best middle-term option IMO. Right now, are there any better options than Dravid?
Why should he be replaced in the first place?

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
I obviously want fit players in the team. But there is no choice but to go for powar in the spin department. Who else is there?

Sehwag should be sent home and cannot be considered until he sheds some love handles.

For now the team can look like this:

1. Ganguly
2. Uthappa - final chance
3. Dravid
4. Yuvraj
5. Dhoni
6. Karthik
8. Powar
10. Munaf Patel

7, 9, 11 are up for grabs. 2 is shaky and may very well soon be.

Need Badani and Mongia as standby - one of them can be 7 for now. But then can move up if anyone fails.