• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait- Could he be the man for Australia in this WC?

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
tait bowled reasonably well i wouldnt say he bowled brilliantly tbh. and there were others in the aussie team that bowled better then him and were more valuable. ie hogg, bracken and maybe even watson. tait still has a bit more to do to really prove himself and make a mark on this world cup.

pup11

International Coach
You got to take into account that Bracken bowled at the death almost when the game was beyond South Africa's reach, but Tait bowled during the second Power-Play and then he made the ball reverse beautifully and got Boucher's and Kemp's wickets with his trademark deliveries.

Hogg was the best aussie bowler on show without doubt, but Tait did well for an inexperienced man but i agree there is still a lot of scope for improvement in him.

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
yeah well thats a fair call about bracken. although with the new ball bracken was the better of the opening bowlers. but yeah tait finished quite well. but yeah i thought you were implying he was the best aussie bowler which was without a doubt hogg as you just said. barring the watson run out it was probly hoggs wicket of gibbs that really turned the match. but i do think tait has a while to go but if he keeps improving the way he is theres no doubt he can be a top aussie bowler...just still not sure how he'll go in the big pressure games to come. time will tell

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think when a bowler like Pollock goes at 8.3 rpo then Tait going at 6.1 rpo is a very good effort, he got his wickets of genuinely good balls and bowled in the right areas when it started to reverse.
Except in very rare circumstances, I would never want any of my bowlers going at over 5.5, let alone 6.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Except in very rare circumstances, I would never want any of my bowlers going at over 5.5, let alone 6.
All depends on the context of the game. You cant set a blanket value that can be seen as good or bad.

If a batting team need 9 and over and the bowler goes for 7.5 then he has done a good job.

I thought Tait bowled well against SA.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
All depends on the context of the game. You cant set a blanket value that can be seen as good or bad.

If a batting team need 9 and over and the bowler goes for 7.5 then he has done a good job.

I thought Tait bowled well against SA.
Which is why I said in exeptional circumstances :)

pup11

International Coach
Haven't heard Roberts say anything about Tait before though, but anyways i also think no stupid bio-mechanics should be involved with Tait to change his action because then we would completly lose the bowler in Tait.

His action is what makes him unique and different.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
"Bio-mechanics" can still be important for Tait because of injury prevention and that sort of thing. Making sure that, even though his action is unorthodox, everything is in alignment to reduce the stress on his body can ensure that he plays for longer and can maintain his pace for longer.

pup11

International Coach
Fair enough point from you Vic,but still i won't like much tampering with Tait's current action, because just look at I.Pathan since bio-mechanics aligned his action (though his action is same) he has lost his swing and pace.

I would rather like Tait strengthening his body parts like his shoulder and back to avoid injuries in future.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taits full swinging delivery when on the mark looks more dangerous than Lees IMO, he's still a bit wayward, but if he gets it right watch out

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enough point from you Vic,but still i won't like much tampering with Tait's current action, because just look at I.Pathan since bio-mechanics aligned his action (though his action is same) he has lost his swing and pace.
And keeping your swing and pace is no use if you're constantly missing tours with injury.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taits full swinging delivery when on the mark looks more dangerous than Lees IMO, he's still a bit wayward, but if he gets it right watch out
Well yeah, but Tait and Lee are quite different bowlers really. They're got different strengths, and Lee's at his best with the new ball and conventional swing, and generally bowling on a length or slightly fuller rather than yorkers. Tait's got more in common with someone like Waqar Younis, albeit with a different action.

pup11

International Coach
I agree with Faaip, Tait is pretty close in his style of bowling to Akram and Waqar (when they were young and new), i believe Tait shouldn't be given more than 2 overs with the new-ball if the ball is not swinging.

When the ball gets old and it starts to reverse he looks much more in control with his line and length.

pup11

International Coach
IMO, Lee is a better new-ball bowler and a very average bowler with an older ball and Tait is completly the opposite to Lee.

Binga definietly has a much more refined and orthodox action and approach compared to Tait, but probably Tait's unpredictablity is his biggest strength and he adds the much needed flair into the Aussie attack.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I'd say Wasim and Waqar were pretty different bowlers too, aside from the fact that they both swung the ball and were from Pakistan. At least as different as Tait and Lee are, anyway.