• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Tait- Could he be the man for Australia in this WC?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thought Benny H. was unlucky not to get a go later in the CB series given how dire Clark and some others were bowling...

Evermind

International Debutant
The habit of using nicknames is insipid, especially for Shaun Tait, as they call him "Taito" which is dangerously close to being "potato" and really undignified.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just to point out in the Kenya game ATM, the 'super-fast' Saj hitting mid-late 130s here. Never in a million years is he RAF

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think Taito proved his worth to this Aussie side yesterday, he bowled brilliantly in the middle overs and at the death.

His last over to Kallis was a beauty since he troubled a player of Kallis's class on a flat track with great bouncers and yorkers.

Great to see Taito do well and i think he would really be a big key for the aussies during the future games in the WC.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've seen Taylor a number of times and I've never seen him hit 150. He probably has, but every time I've seen he's been consistent mid to low 140s. That, ftr, is about 4-5kph slower on average than what I've seen from Mahmood this season.
That Taylor is consistently up over 89mph and Mahmood is not is the separation between a fast bowler and a fast-medium bowler for mine. Because Taylor can bowl a really fast spell too. The difference is that he can maintain high pace otherwise.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Taito proved his worth to this Aussie side yesterday, he bowled brilliantly in the middle overs and at the death.

His last over to Kallis was a beauty since he troubled a player of Kallis's class on a flat track with great bouncers and yorkers.

Great to see Taito do well and i think he would really be a big key for the aussies during the future games in the WC.
9-60-2 is NOT well.

Most people can get a couple of wickets when someone's chasing over 7-an-over.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
once he builds on yesterdays performance for the remainder of the tournamnet he surely can.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
9-60-2 is NOT well.

Most people can get a couple of wickets when someone's chasing over 7-an-over.
His figures don't truly represent how well he bowled though - especially his second spell after Ponting took the PP which, in conjuction with Watson, gave Australia the ascendency.

Also, given the figures of the other bowlers and the score SA were chasing, going for anything under 6.5 was quite acceptable - the pitch was a 300 par one IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
His figures don't truly represent how well he bowled though - especially his second spell after Ponting took the PP which, in conjuction with Watson, gave Australia the ascendency.

Also, given the figures of the other bowlers and the score SA were chasing, going for anything under 6.5 was quite acceptable - the pitch was a 300 par one IMO.
I agree though his third and final spell was brilliant, simply no one could hit.

Makes you wonder if South Africa would have not been better of taking Dale Steyn, not as quick as Tait but he has pace and the ability to swing the ball (may have been a better bet than the seam team). Although, Dale like Shaun is the sort of guy who could forcibly go for 90 of 10.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Just to point out in the Kenya game ATM, the 'super-fast' Saj hitting mid-late 130s here. Never in a million years is he RAF

So?

Bond was bowling mid-late 130s in the NZ v England game, and Tait (as well as all the other bowlers) was way down on pace in the Aus v SA game.

It's the radars.

thierry henry

International Coach
That Taylor is consistently up over 89mph and Mahmood is not is the separation between a fast bowler and a fast-medium bowler for mine. Because Taylor can bowl a really fast spell too. The difference is that he can maintain high pace otherwise.
Not from what I've seen.

From what I've seen in the last 12 months, Saj has bowled faster. That's all.

You can only compare speeds from the same game anyway, as there is still a massive difference from game to game in the speeds that ALL bowlers are bowling. A lot of unusually low speeds have been registered at this WC.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Shaun Tait showed during the middle overs against South Africa why he can be such a devastating weapon for Ricky Ponting to have at his disposal.

pup11

International Coach
I think when a bowler like Pollock goes at 8.3 rpo then Tait going at 6.1 rpo is a very good effort, he got his wickets of genuinely good balls and bowled in the right areas when it started to reverse.

pup11

International Coach
I think Richard you should also take into consideration that with the size of the ground at St.kitts (which btw is the smallest international ground in the world), 60 meters straight boundary and a flat pitch if Tait would have been slightly off-target he would have threatened Mick Lewis's record (10-0-113-0).

But he was great he bowled brilliantly in the Power-Plays in the middle overs, got crucial wickets of Kemp and Boucher with reverse.