• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How does the Super 8 work?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Can someone explain to me how the Super 8 will work in this world cup?

I remember in the 1999 world cup how there was a super 6, comprised of three teams from two groups. Each team from one group would face the other three teams from the other groups. Will something similar happen in this world cup?

For example, a team in group D like mighty South Africa could face all four teams from group A & B, hence they'd play four games.

Anyway I'm prolly confusin' ya'll. Anybody know how it works?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The Super 8's are pretty extended. From memory, if you make it through to the Super 8's, you'll play everyone else in the Super 8's except whom you played in the Group games. So, assuming everything goes to plan, South Africa in the Super 8's stage will play everyone except Australia.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Super 8's are pretty extended. From memory, if you make it through to the Super 8's, you'll play everyone else in the Super 8's except whom you played in the Group games. So, assuming everything goes to plan, South Africa in the Super 8's stage will play everyone except Australia.
I can't wait for the South Africa v South Africa battle. I think I'm tipping South Africa.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I can't wait for the South Africa v South Africa battle. I think I'm tipping South Africa.
Nah, I disagree. South Africa doesn't have the bowling to counter South Africa, who bat till 9. Plus South Africa have been known as chokers, so South Africa will pull out quite easily in a blowout. In fact, I'll give you 3:1 odds on South Africa if you'd like to make a wager.