• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowds

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
The other thing I've heard, that I'm surprised hasn't been raised, is that apparently the officials at the ground have been incredibly tight in terms of acting as fun-police and banning any of the things that people normally like to do at the cricket - much of which has historically been central to the fun vibe of Caribbean cricket crowds. I understand food, drink, alcohol, musical instruments, flags and banners have all been banned from entry into the ground. Apparently the food and (strictly non-alcoholic) drinks available in the ground have the usual obscene mark ups for "official food providers" that are common at these events. Its one thing for Cricket Australia to act like idiots and pull this stuff ahead of the most eagerly anticipated Ashes series in a country where you'll fill the MCG to see a tiddly-winks contest. It's another thing when the price of tickets for a family already represents a sizeable chunk of your yearly salary to be asked to blow a weeks wages on some bad fast food and watered down Pepsi - which will be consumed in rapt silence, thank you, no trumpets, drums or flag-waving!!

Ive also noticed how sedate the crowd has been. I always remember WI crowds to be some of the most wild and enthusiastic of all, they always make a lot of noice and hang off the rafters. In this WC there is silence and nothing coming from the crowd. The matches really lack any atmosphere.

For todays match there only seem to be a few thousand there. Terrible

LA ICE-E

State Captain
people keep saying price...its not the price...the price is only twice more than a normal test match costs...locals aren't coming because supposedly since it went on 10 months ago people at the carribean thought it was sold out and that they wait till the last minute...also that they dont buy tickets online which isn't really their culture...and so since the lines are too long now to buy it people aren't coming...but its ok...next world cup will have a lot....

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
people keep saying price...its not the price...the price is only twice more than a normal test match costs...locals aren't coming because supposedly since it went on 10 months ago people at the carribean thought it was sold out and that they wait till the last minute...also that they dont buy tickets online which isn't really their culture...and so since the lines are too long now to buy it people aren't coming...but its ok...next world cup will have a lot....

errrrrrr

LA ICE-E

State Captain
o forgot this part...next world cup will have a lot of crowd...unless inda gets out then teams will just be under threats and there would be riots

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Arrow - you do realise that while Viv Richards Stadium holds "only" 20,000 people, the entire country of Antigua only has a population of 70,000. If anything, I'd say that the stadium design is either incredibly forward looking, or a massive over-investment - unless tickets to future events there are free or virtually free they'll never fill it after this WC.

For me, its a combination of the visa problems (which is not appropriate to solve by simply waiving the requirement for visas), a price point for tickets which effectively priced out most of the locals, and most significantly - the tournament is just too long and drawn out. Even for people who can get a visa and afford the airfares, they probably can't take 7 weeks off for the holiday, so they'll have to pick and choose. And I'd pick to come near the end of the tournament and see the semi finals and if possible the final, rather than the start of the Super 8 round, and certainly not the group stage.

The other thing I've heard, that I'm surprised hasn't been raised, is that apparently the officials at the ground have been incredibly tight in terms of acting as fun-police and banning any of the things that people normally like to do at the cricket - much of which has historically been central to the fun vibe of Caribbean cricket crowds. I understand food, drink, alcohol, musical instruments, flags and banners have all been banned from entry into the ground. Apparently the food and (strictly non-alcoholic) drinks available in the ground have the usual obscene mark ups for "official food providers" that are common at these events. Its one thing for Cricket Australia to act like idiots and pull this stuff ahead of the most eagerly anticipated Ashes series in a country where you'll fill the MCG to see a tiddly-winks contest. It's another thing when the price of tickets for a family already represents a sizeable chunk of your yearly salary to be asked to blow a weeks wages on some bad fast food and watered down Pepsi - which will be consumed in rapt silence, thank you, no trumpets, drums or flag-waving!!
True, especially so about the food. Didn;t eat anything when I went to the match. Prices doubling and tripling in most cases.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
so whats the point of hosting the wc at WI if they remove the WI atmosphere...why are they banning musical instruments, flags and banners? they should set a limit but these aren't harmful stuff...

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think its becoming serious now. The lack of crowds and atmosphere is really putting a black mark on this world cup, the ICC need to bit the bullet and just let the gates open. Get people in there for gods sake. The atmosphere is totally dead now.

Beleg

International Regular
LA-ICE-E,

As has already been proven repeatedly, the bolded part is utter nonsense.

For some more prespective:

Here's a tale of woe from Noel Beavis from the USA: "I bought tickets for the two Antigua Super Eight games this week. I know this is something new for the Caribbean but quite frankly the organisation was a shambles. I bought tickets on-line and picked them up at the St John's office - that took three hours. Some friends were injured whilst trying to get into the office due to the crowds.

My tickets were in the temporary stand Get this. My row (32)did not exist.
Luckily the place was half empty. We had to take a taxi to a meeting point and then a shuttle to the ground - that took two hours. Getting back the shuttle almost tipped as the driver was speeding in the wet. Even though the place was half empty many vendors ran out of food/beer.

Some were selling hot beer and added ice upon request. The locals told me they could not afford $100 a ticket. All the cheap ($25)tickets went very early. We watched the first half of the Australia/ Windies match but refused to return for the Windies innings or the Windies/SL match. It cost me $8000 (for four) for half a day of cricket. What a disappointment.
- Cricinfo.

Now around $25 is definitely managable and should have been the high end price for super eight/group stage games.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah i guess so...then the stadiums would be likely to be close to full ...is there a way they could put the tickets on sale now...?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
the crowds are looking way better today huh...did they put on a sale or something? they should have done that after the dire turn out on the group stage matches....

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
It isnt just the odd seat, it's whole stands. I think in any sport it's horrible to see half-empty stadiums, thats why I try and avoid watching Derby County games on the TV

LA ICE-E

State Captain
To me it looks like there were/are way more crowds showing up in Jamaica and Guyana than the other countries. Since they won't even show up at the games they should just move the rest of the games to jamiaca and guyana.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The whole thing looks incredibly boring though, "Like watching cricket at Lords" said one English spectator..

As usual the ICC have sterlized, mismanged and overpriced another major tournament.. If you showed a newcomer to the game the world cup and asked them to tell you where the games were being played, they'd probably say Australia..

LA ICE-E

State Captain
it looks like we're not even going to have a decent crowd in the finals. But one of the finals NZvsSR will have crowds since its in jamaica but the rest probably will not have decent crowds- barbados doesn't have crowds and saint lucia didn't have decent crowds either. So i think they should move the semis and the finals(at least) to jamica and may be guyana.

pasag

RTDAS
There has been a massive improvement in atmosphere since they let instruments into the stadiums. Crowds still don't look great though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And no doubt you can back that sort of comment up with proof that the money isn't going to be going back into Cricket then?

Also, you can prove that the money goes to the ICC in the first place?