• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Boring World Cup Ever?

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Will this be the most boring world cup ever?

With 2 superpowers already out of the tournament and severe beatings awaiting the minnows in the super 8 this world cup has the most predictable semi final line up.

The ICC thought that this format will mean all 8 top test nations will go through and contest a brilliant world cup and this plan was very clever,

how the icc have been left with egg on their faces by ireland and bangladesh,

not to mention the tv companies and organisers missing out on indian revenue and pakistan vs india match which would have made more money than the whole tourney alltogether

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Super 8 could conceivably be boring...but so far the tournament's been far from it IMO.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ireland pulling off the greatest shock of all time means that this WC will not be thought of as boring by me.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Yaar, it's still in its first round , how can it be the most boring ever??

Though it might be most eventful, shocking loses of India and Pakistan in the same day, ouster of Pakistan in first round and absolutely shocking news of Pak coach's tragic death

gunner

U19 Cricketer
they as good as are
bangladesh will easily beat bermuda by a big margin

and india will have to beat both bermuda and lanka by big margins which you can see vs bermuda but not vs lanka

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Yaar, it's still in its first round , how can it be the most boring ever??

Though it might be most eventful, shocking loses of India and Pakistan in the same day, ouster of Pakistan in first round and absolutely shocking news of Pak coach's tragic death
i meant as in the super 8 stage

it will be very predictable

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i meant as in the super 8 stage

it will be very predictable
Just like the group stage was meant to be?

And if one of the lesser-fancied teams manages another win or two and gets into the semis, will the semis then be boring and predictable too?

pup11

International Coach
You got be kidding me this WC is turning out to be the most exciting WC in recent time with the minnows producing a few upsets or more less giving the strong teams a fight.

And the real big games haven't even started yet so a great WC in store i believe.

But the tragic demise of Bob has certainly dampened the spirits.

pup11

International Coach
IBH, not many people in here would understand the meaning of "Yaar"(which means mate) don't you think so?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
they as good as are
bangladesh will easily beat bermuda by a big margin

and india will have to beat both bermuda and lanka by big margins which you can see vs bermuda but not vs lanka
Didn't Bermuda score over 200 v Bangladesh in a warm-up match? Bermuda never looked like getting 100 against England or SL and I don't see them doing it today either. One advantage Bangladesh have is that they play Bermuda after India v SL so they wil know what they need to do (like NZ v Scotland in 1999) but would they hold their nerve? They are an inexperienced team, remember...

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Didn't Bermuda score over 200 v Bangladesh in a warm-up match? Bermuda never looked like getting 100 against England or SL and I don't see them doing it today either. One advantage Bangladesh have is that they play Bermuda after India v SL so they wil know what they need to do (like NZ v Scotland in 1999) but would they hold their nerve? They are an inexperienced team, remember...
Bangladesh should easily beat Bermuda unless of course they don't have their feet on the ground after that one win :dry:.....which the coach would be super-pissed about!!!!!

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
No, no it isn't

Shock win, a tied game, massive scores, fantastic bowling efforts, magnificent solo effort, incredible tension, and Dwayne Leverock - and youre asking if it is boring?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It has been very far from boring to be honest, not always a good thing though. Not sure how 2 superpowers going out means it's boring.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm 'yaar' was one of the new words in the latest Scrabble dictionary to be adopted in a couple of months. Anyways yes, India aren't out yet and they only really need to hammer Bermuda by a really massive margin which they look like doing and beat SL (whether it's close or not) and they're through.

Swervy

International Captain
its only early in the tournament I know, but so far, considering we have only had 2 games which before the tournament could have been considered big (WI vs pakistan and NZ vs England) it has been a brilliant tournament so far.

Who would have ever thought Ireland would be top of the group, or that we would have 6 sixes in an over, or have the tension of the two Ireland games. We have seen some surprisingly good bowling performances, some great batting performances, upsets galore, minnows making big teams look pretty average (Canada vs England), Leverock looking disapointed to get out to Murali, and the Flintoff 'Fredalo' scandal. What more could you ask for??

Obviously Woolmers shock death puts things into sharp relief, but still, on the field it has been quite thrilling. Best WC I can remember so far

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
It has been very far from boring to be honest, not always a good thing though. Not sure how 2 superpowers going out means it's boring.
I agree. Surely, that makes it more interesting if anything. If all the minnows had been beat everyone would still be saying its broing. You can't please some folk

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Far to early to draw a conclusion on the entertainment value of the tournament. Early indications are towards the boring side (average cricket, tracks promoting medium pacers rather than the strike bowlers, etc) but there is still a long way to go and the SA/Aus game still to come in the group stage.

Swervy

International Captain
Far to early to draw a conclusion on the entertainment value of the tournament. Early indications are towards the boring side (average cricket, tracks promoting medium pacers rather than the strike bowlers, etc) but there is still a long way to go and the SA/Aus game still to come in the group stage.
I am not too sure about the average cricket tag... West Indies were outstanding I thought vs Pakistan, in the NZ vs England game, we saw Bond bowl beautifully, and Styris bat really well, thought Bangladesh genuinely played brilliantly vs India.

All other games so far we could only expect to be average given the quality gap between the teams involved..and yet we saw Botha for Ireland bowl a really good spell vs Pakistan of medium pace inswing bowling, landing the ball in the right place 99% of the time, and quality batsmen didnt know how to deal with it