• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breaking news-Inzamam retires from ODI's-GEO

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
JAMAICA: Pakistan cricket skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq has decided to retire from one-day international cricket.

According to Geo news correspondent Abdul Majid Bhatti, Inzamam consulted his friends about his retirement after yesterday's defeat by Ireland with 3 wickets. Later he consulted his father, who advised him to retire from international cricket and resign from captaincy of Pakistani team. Inzamam said he would play Test cricket only as a player and resign from captaincy.

He will announce his retirement from one-day international cricket and captaincy
in coming hours.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp#19620

Beleg

International Regular
A wise decision, all things considered.

Pakistan team is going to miss him; IMO the greatest Pakistani ODI batsman.

jammay123

State 12th Man
it doesnt matter if he resigned or not he aint gonn a get picked again. and is the retirement immediate

Fusion

Global Moderator
Man what an utterly depressing day. :( Woolmer's death will take me a long time to get over with. And now this news. I think Inzi's retirement was a given after the WC showing. That doesn't make the news any easier to take. He was, as Beleg said, the greatest Pakistani ODI batsman of all time. He contributed so much. Ironic that he retires after his lowest point coming in the latest WC. He made his name after that spectacular showing in the '92 WC Semi Final and Final. An end of an era. Thanks for the memories Inzi, I will miss seeing you in Pakistani colors.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, Inzy was always going to retire from ODIs after this Cup I've presumed.

Still - hardly the sort of way you'd hope to go out, on so many counts. :(

Nishant

International 12th Man
i still think that he should have gone when pakistan cricket was on a high! They are falling apart...i dont really support them but it is sad to see...hope all becomes well!

ColdSnow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Very sad day for me. First Woolmer's death andnow Inzi's retirement. Both were heroes during their time.

To be honest, I support Inzi. He is 37 now and life outside cricket beckons. Good on ya Inzi, I will miss you. Thanks for all the fun times.

:down: :cry:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well done to Inzi on a great career in ODIs... Tragic note to go out on (and for once the use of the t-word is actually justified in a sports context), but he's done more than his share for cricket, and moving aside creates an opportunity for someone new to come in with new energy...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good Decision. I will miss him a lot, one of my all time fav. playe. As someone said, what a depressing day it has been.

pasag

RTDAS
Legend of the game, a real champion. Pity he had to go out in such dire circumstances, hopefully he'll stay on in Tests for a few more years.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
This was always potentially going to happen after he had already said this was his last World Cup previously. So it comes as no surprise.
Although id have thought he would of at least left it to after the Zimbabwe game before informing the media, especially after what else happened today.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i saw this coming. i knew that inzi isn't going to be like other pakistan legend cricketers who were dumbed from the team. the graceful way was to retire just like this and it is a good decision. i am sure the selectors will select him for test matches and at least he wana finish his test career in a good way.

pup11

International Coach
I hope Inzi ends his last game as Pakistani captain against ZIM on a high and put up convincing performance for Bob.

Matt79

Global Moderator
tbf, it was probably an instictive decision to make the announcement, and he's probably in too much shock to consider the politics of the timing of his announcement.

Given the manner in which the team has been bundled out, and the tragedy of Woolmar's death, the question is begged, was there ever going to be a good time to announce it? What he has avoided is the speculation that he was pushed, or that the incoming coach showed him the door, as well as (hopefully for his sake) too hostile a reception when he comes home. He's certainly not trying to shift the focus from Woolmar's death to himself or anything - I think he's just being honest.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
^Agreed....can't imagine what the atmosphere around the Pakistani team is like at the moment. It'll be sad to see him go, but I didn't think Inzy would play on much longer after the WC even if Pakistan were more successful. Unfortunate that he's going to end his ODI career in such a terrible situation...