• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mashrafe Mortaza

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mashrafe was clearly the fastest and the best bowler on show yesterday (way better than those Indians). He was bowling at around high 80s and his fastest was 90.5 mph (plus he swinged it both ways). Its good to see him getting his pace back. He was forced to bowl around low 80s for the last couple of years after those career threatening injuries.

He just met his mentor Andy Roberts a week back in Antigua and Andy said he is geeting it back (that is his pace). Thanks to Andy for finding a true fast bowler for Bangladesh and guiding him to get his speed back.

The world doubted that we would never get big, tall, bustling fast bowlers and now we even have Shahadat in the reserves, a bowler who is even faster than Mortaza, and if he used a bit more of his brain then he could turn out to be a even better bowler than Mortaza.

I hope some of English counties wake up and take some of our cricketers as their overseas player. If sub-standard layers like Yaseer Arafat, Dinesh Mongia, etc can play there why not Mortaza.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Mortaza doesn't play over here next season at some time I'll be pretty surprised.

But as for Shahadat Hossain...

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Mortaza doesn't play over here next season at some time I'll be pretty surprised.

But as for Shahadat Hossain...

Shahadat has the pace (around high 80s), the essential ingredient for a fast bowler. With experience he would get more control and learn to swing the ball. He is really erratic now but even Harmison was in his early days. Shahadat's idol is Harmison and both are of similar height and pace, so you never know how he will be in a couple of years time.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Shahadat has the pace (around high 80s), the essential ingredient for a fast bowler. With experience he would get more control and learn to swing the ball. He is really erratic now but even Harmison was in his early days. Shahadat's idol is Harmison and both are of similar height and pace, so you never know how he will be in a couple of years time.
If you're telling Richard someone's good, comparing them to Harmison ain't a wise move.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fantastic bowler, seems to improve an incredible amount every time I see him bowl.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And look how Harmison's turned-out...

With any luck he'll not be part of the England team for much longer.

Usuaully, bowlers like him don't get much better. Experience DOES NOT automatically make a bowler better.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Mortaza was a bowler with a bit of promise a couple of years ago, but now he's a genuine class act. He's added plenty of pace since getting over his injury problems, in fact he ranged between 10 and 20 kph quicker yesterday than he was against Australia last year. On top of that, yesterday he got some real bounce of a length that I'd not seen from him before. Alongside Rao in the opening match against the West Indies, it was the best of the tournament to date. Rasel bowled well too, with a spell Ian Bradshaw would have been happy with.

With some new class in the batting and some guys who can actually build an innings rather than just slogging a few like Ashraful or hanging around for ages doing nothing like Omar, Bangladesh are turning into a quality ODI team. Nafees is one of the better bats of his age in the world, Mushfiqur Rahim has a really solid technique and played some great shots yesterday, and Saqibul was very impressive with the bat as well, particularly for a guy who is meant to be primarily a bowler.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Saqibul more of a batting all rounder if anything.

I said before that Mortaza a class act and keeps on showing it. Hopefully he has a poor day against Sri Lanka though. Looking forward his battle with Tharanga.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Saqibul more of a batting all rounder if anything.
Just going off descriptions of him as a player who began as a bowler. He's clearly a significant prospect, anyway. Batted very nicely yesterday, and bowled reasonably. Plus his ODI record so far is fantastic. He's clearly a class above the minnow opposition he's faced, even at that age.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

TBH Mashrafe Mortaza is currently my favorite fast bowler :ph34r:.....his accuracy, line and length, and the pace he's been bowling add recently has impressed me immensely.

58 matches 83 wickets If I'm not wrong.....for the Bangladesh team that is good enough a record for their strike bowler bowler for the time being :p!!!!!

Hope to see him do ever better in this world cup :)!!!!!

Hope he does much better in the years to come :)!!!!!