• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A World Cup "Plate" competition

James

Cricket Web Owner
What do people think about the possibility of introducing a plate style competition similiar to the way they do it in the Rugby Sevens tournaments where the bottom two teams of each group play off in their own Super 8, Semis, Finals?

Thoughts?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If it didnt further extend the length of the comp then Id be all for it. Adds further competition for the lesser teams and allows them to potentially walk away with a trophy at the end.

Beleg

International Regular
I disagree. I think the World Cup itself should be the only thing all teams compete for.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yeah, I think it would really add something to the competition and could be played alongside the proper Super Eights.

Would give a lot more exposure to cricket in the smaller cricketing nations which can only be a good thing.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Would give the smaller nations something to play for, rather than going to the world cup and getting hammered in 2 out of 3 matches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's what they did in an Under 19 World Cup not so long ago (New Zealand 2002/2003 I think)... and also possibly in the Bangladesh tournament in 04/05 - the home side beat Australia in the final of the Plate. Would be an issue with the associate players getting time off work... and things like the WCL do this job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no harm in one substandard side playing another.

Still - after today we're gonna have to get used to a substandard side playing some more.

I mean, there's Keyna making the Super Six and there's Ireland making the Super Eight.

This really is the most crazy day in cricket history. Surely.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I think it would really add something to the competition and could be played alongside the proper Super Eights.

Would give a lot more exposure to cricket in the smaller cricketing nations which can only be a good thing.
Sounds like a good idea to me

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I don't like the idea. It's fine in domestic and age-group tournaments, like the Under-19 World Cup, where the emphasis is on player development, but it would undermine the idea of the real World Cup - to find the best side in the world. Sounds too childish for my liking as well, sort of 'Yes, you've been knocked out, because you weren't good enough, but come and have another go against the poorer teams'. Once you're out, you're out, as far as I'm concerned.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I just thought I would put this in prospective:

Soccer World cup 1982:

The format of the competition changed from 1978: for the first time, 24 teams qualified, divided into six groups of four (1 through 6). The top two teams in each group advanced to the second round, where they split into four groups of three (A to D). The winners of each group advanced to the semi-finals. This was the only World Cup to be played under this format. The decision to expand from 16 to 24 teams came from FIFA to give the opportunity to more teams to participate, especially teams from North America, Africa and Asia.

Group 2 saw one of the great World Cup upsets on the first day with the 2-1 victory of Algeria over reigning European Champion West Germany.

Soccer World Cup 2002:
Team P W D L GF GA GD PTS
Denmark 3 2 1 0 5 2 +3 7
Senegal 3 1 2 0 5 4 +1 5
Uruguay 3 0 2 1 4 5 -1 2
France 3 0 1 1 0 3 -3 1

oh dear is that the 1998 World Cup winners at the bottom of the pool

Last edited: