• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows - Do we need them, do they improve with us?

Langeveldt

Soutie
I just don't think the minnow thing is working at all, please don't tell me any dutch cricketer actually improved after the pasting meted out by us yesterday..

Perhaps young Kervezee might have gained a bit of confidence, but if he ever makes anything of his cricket, It'll only be in England colours.. I fail to see how 200+ run pastings improve anyone as a cricketer.. Please come on and prove me very wrong

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Two things to consider, IMO.

Firstly, the minnow nations are generally better this time than in 2003, IMO. Most of the stronger minnow nations (excluding Canada and Bermuda, in other words) have some quality home-bred players and you can see a general improvement in professionalism and standards when compared to previous outings. The likes of Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands aren't really much worse than Zimbabwe, if at all, and I don't think they ruin the tournament with their presence, and there's the realistic prospect of competitive games. Guys like RtD and Morgan deserve a chance to shine on a big stage, too. Canada and Bermuda clearly aren't good enough, but they'll only play three games each and then they'll be gone.

The other issue, and the key one for me, is that it's the World Cup. I don't see the problem with even woefully substandard teams appearing in one tournament on four year intervals. I think it's problematic to hand out ODI status to teams who simply aren't competitive against other minnows, and guys like Porterfield with huge averages and no experience against quality opposition are a bit much. Still, the World Cup should represent a wide cross-section of cricket nations, and I think 16 teams is a nice balance. We'll still end up with the best teams competing at the end, but the WC wouldn't be the same without some minnows involved, much like in the Rugby WC.

Over time I think we'll see more competitive performances anyway. Bangladesh and Kenya are clearly far better today than 10 years ago and continue to produce useful players, and I'm sure other nations will follow suit.

pup11

International Coach
We certainly need the minnows to expand the game and globalize it but there certainly is no need to involve such minnows in a big tournament such as the WC, since it does their confidence no good getting trashed by stronger teams on the world stage.

Their are other ways to help these minnows improve, remember Sri lanka once was a minnow but look at them today so to just say these minnows are crap and we don't need them is wrong.

pasag

RTDAS
From a personal perspective, it's cool to finally see the players you read alot about, do profiles and match reports of and especially seeing cult figures like RTD for the first time.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think they've got the format right at last. Let the minnows play by all means, but make the prelimary round short and the Top 8 then play each other (assuming England or Pakistan don't screw up that is) It's only took the ICC four WCs to get it right! I do think you only improve by playing better teams - the one problem being is that the full members will also be trying to improve so you might get the situation where the minnows have to improve just to stand still. As for yesterday I'd remind the Dutch that Gibbs hammered the Aussie attack last year so don't get disheartend (although they should have batted first if they had any ambitions of winning. None of the minnows WC wins over Test teams came batting second)
As for young Kerveze I was wtching England so i didn't see him but he must have something to get a Worcestershire contract at his age . It will definately benefit Holland even if he doesn't make the grade but I'm interested its only the european countries that benefit from this - why not have Bermuda, Canada and Kenya's good players play FC cricket in WI and SA respectively? It would improve them as cricketers.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
From a personal perspective, it's cool to finally see the players you read alot about, do profiles and match reports of and especially seeing cult figures like RTD for the first time.
I agree too. Also, I believe the better the competition, the harder they'll try. So, from their point of view, if a bowler can bowl out a Lara or a Ponting, it must do their self esteem a lot of good. Same if a batsman can hit a Polly or a Murali for a six. Which must lift their game and so the team and so cricket in their countries as a whole. IMO something that can only be good for cricket the world over.:)

Nemesis27

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Bermuda and Netherlands, nah, pathetic, just making up the numbers. But man, that Leverock dude is a living behemoth.

Canada,Ireland and Scotland can provide a good game against an established nation if said established nation has an off day. These three are just below Zimbabwe.

Kenya, are in no-mans land, not poor enough to be called a minnow, but prehaps not quite strong enough to be called a major force.

pasag

RTDAS
Bermuda and Netherlands, nah, pathetic, just making up the numbers. But man, that Leverock dude is a living behemoth.

Canada,Ireland and Scotland can provide a good game against an established nation if said established nation has an off day. These three are just below Zimbabwe.

Kenya, are in no-mans land, not poor enough to be called a minnow, but prehaps not quite strong enough to be called a major force.
:huh:

open365

International Vice-Captain
The thing i don't like about the minnow nations right now is the lack of players in their teams that represent their nationality, i know it's unavoidable, but most of the good players for the minnow nations are of different heratige than the nation the play for.

I still think the key area to develop minnow cricket is to get them playing on the major countries A team circuit and in domestic competitions as they do in England.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With this World Cup setup, I don't see any problem with minnow nations being present. It's geared toward the top 8 nations playing in the second round, and if a minnow nation is good enough to get past one of those 8 and play in the Super Eight stage, then it's definitely to their benefit.

Aside from the World Cup, minnows should be playing a lot of first-class cricket and regular ODIs against each other, with more regular interjections against the top teams. The only way a team can improve is by playing cricket.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't think 200+ pastings do improve anybody as a cricketer. The point is though that that's certainly not the norm in this Cup so far, by a long way - quite a few of the performances have been very encouraging, and obviously today, Bangladesh have a real chance at chasing down India's moderate total, and Ireland have just put the Pakistani batsmen to the sword. Even if neither team gets up, it's exciting stuff - but these kinds of threads always seem to pop up when you get the odd horrendous trashing, and they will happen occasionally.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I just don't think the minnow thing is working at all, please don't tell me any dutch cricketer actually improved after the pasting meted out by us yesterday..

Perhaps young Kervezee might have gained a bit of confidence, but if he ever makes anything of his cricket, It'll only be in England colours.. I fail to see how 200+ run pastings improve anyone as a cricketer.. Please come on and prove me very wrong
This has to be up there with "let them eat cake" and "peace in our time" on the list of well-timed comments.