• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6 sixes for Gibbs.

Swervy

International Captain
It will be if I get my way... just you wait and see. ;)
but then there is a case for doing that for all sports where crap players/teams take part vs better teams/players. (Australia holding the scoring record in football for one)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was fun to watch, but Gosh it was some of the worst bowling I had ever seen, and thats including club senior cricket at varying levels. Was just crap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but then there is a case for doing that for all sports where crap players/teams take part vs better teams/players. (Australia holding the scoring record in football for one)
Never. Cricket holds status far dearer than near enough any other sport.

In football Andorra-vs-England has always been the same as France-vs-Brazil.

In cricket, Argentina-vs-Pakistan has generally been considered different to South Africa-vs-New Zealand and I for one would have it no other way (and I guess most others wouldn't, either, as the Test and ODI system has been around for a while).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was fun to watch, but Gosh it was some of the worst bowling I had ever seen, and thats including club senior cricket at varying levels. Was just crap.
Don't often get guys coming at you like that at said levels, do ya? :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Never. Cricket holds status far dearer than near enough any other sport.

In football Andorra-vs-England has always been the same as France-vs-Brazil.

In cricket, Argentina-vs-Pakistan has generally been considered different to South Africa-vs-New Zealand and I for one would have it no other way (and I guess most others wouldn't, either, as the Test and ODI system has been around for a while).
Yes for Tests. The standard must be maintained and the records and averages are important.

For ODIs, I have no issues with records and averages getting inflated by more teams playing. All part of the pyramid.

As long as Tests stay sacred then Im fine

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. All about personal preferences, ain't it?

Me, I feel ODIs are (or, perhaps, should be) every bit as sacred as Tests. You can see that by the fact that I always quote ODI figures without substandard sides.

There's no harm in good teams playing crap ones, none at all (though it won't help the crap teams improve) - but I feel the status should only be conferred where appropriate.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Truth is, ALL the teams and players get a chance to play against minnows, crap bowlers, etc. None of them have ever been able to do what Gibbs did. Not in any of the other 5,000+ World Cup matches played. So it is a great achievement.

Swervy

International Captain
Truth is, ALL the teams and players get a chance to play against minnows, crap bowlers, etc. None of them have ever been able to do what Gibbs did. Not in any of the other 5,000+ World Cup matches played. So it is a great achievement.
how many World Cup games?????:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I could name you loads of players who never played a substandard side.

Sure, Gibbs has still achieved something noteworthy, but it's not true at all that everyone has equal opportunity against substandard sides.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I could name you loads of players who never played a substandard side.

Sure, Gibbs has still achieved something noteworthy, but it's not true at all that everyone has equal opportunity against substandard sides.
Splitting hairs here.:) Fact is, players, since the World Cup tournaments began, some considered the best in the world and even maybe ever, have played minnows and not done this. Because they couldn't, Gibbs could.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'm agreeing with the general consensus about this. Its a joke of a record considering the level of bowling. I would've been happy for Gibbs had he done it against a better opposition.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Doesn't really surprise me in the slightests really. New it was going to happen sooner or later, surprised it wasn't Kemp or Boucher tbh. The record means jack-**** though, that bowling was dire in the extreme.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Im more worried about CricketWeb's uncertainty over the whole thing, as shown in the article published on the front page

A highlight of this strong batting display came in the 30th over when Herschelle Gibbs hit a record six 6?s to blast Netherlands bowler Daan van Bunge.
This fella doesnt have a clue, and you are writing the article, you shoudl know :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
HOW DARE you make such an attack on a CW Staff Member!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Think it's a gel not a guy writing the thing, tho, isn't it? :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, :-O:eek::surprise: at Tarick there.

You drunk or summat?

EDIT: see Tarick's edit... good guess on my part, TBH! :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not acceptible but more understandible, surely?

You've never done summat a bit stupid when you're drunk, have you?

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think it's a joke record. Gibbs is the first to achieve this. No one else has done it. And other teams do play these poor nations...