Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Most Colourful cricketer at World Cup 2007

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558

    Most Colourful cricketer at World Cup 2007

    Its early days , but Dwayne Leverock from Bermuda seems to have taken a huge lead in the most colourful cricketer at the World Cup Stakes, IMO .

    Other contender so far is Lasith Malinga with his exhorbitant hair style.

    Any others ....

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Dunno, I vote anyone who wears the West Indies uniform, personally...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #3
    International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,250
    Why does everyone keep picking on Leverock as a "character" or a "colourful personality"? He's just FAT. That's about all. Yeah, isn't it liberating to hear that word. He's not embarrassed of it - why's everyone else?

    McGrath and Andre Nel etc are the real "characters". Maybe Sreesanth. Let's not mix up physical appearance and extroverted personalities.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    KP or Graeme Smith perhaps
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Why does everyone keep picking on Leverock as a "character" or a "colourful personality"? He's just FAT. That's about all. Yeah, isn't it liberating to hear that word. He's not embarrassed of it - why's everyone else?

    McGrath and Andre Nel etc are the real "characters". Maybe Sreesanth. Let's not mix up physical appearance and extroverted personalities.

    You didn't see his little jig after he took a Sri Lankan wicket , then !

    That was brilliant .
    The fat man can swing his hips.

  6. #6
    First Class Debutant
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Why does everyone keep picking on Leverock as a "character" or a "colourful personality"? He's just FAT. That's about all. Yeah, isn't it liberating to hear that word. He's not embarrassed of it - why's everyone else?

    McGrath and Andre Nel etc are the real "characters". Maybe Sreesanth. Let's not mix up physical appearance and extroverted personalities.
    I dont reckon you would say that to his face...
    He could punch ou to the middle of next week.......... literally

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Bunny View Post
    I dont reckon you would say that to his face...
    He could punch ou to the middle of next week.......... literally
    Oh c'mon Bunny. Evermind is dead right. Leverock's appeal is mainly due to the fact he's clinically obese and can bowl quite well

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Auckland, Aotearoa
    Posts
    19,856
    And he can dance.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Oh c'mon Bunny. Evermind is dead right. Leverock's appeal is mainly due to the fact he's clinically obese and can bowl quite well
    And what's Panesar's appeal? That he's a Sikh and he can bowl quite well?

    Leverock is at least as worthy as Monty to be considered a colourful cricketer.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."


  10. #10
    International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    And what's Panesar's appeal? That he's a Sikh and he can bowl quite well?

    Leverock is at least as worthy as Monty to be considered a colourful cricketer.
    I agree. Panesar has also been picked on - quite condescendingly, I might add - as a "personality" because of his celebration of wickets and his odd motor skills which are quite evident when he fields. But when you listen to his interview, it's the same ole cliches that come out - no hint of "character" there (or it's bound up by PR talk, which is much more likely, of course).

    As for personalities, I always thought MacGill had an interesting one for a cricketer. Maybe Nel in the WC - he seems like a weird guy. Not unendearing, by any measure, strangely.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    I agree. Panesar has also been picked on - quite condescendingly, I might add - as a "personality" because of his celebration of wickets and his odd motor skills which are quite evident when he fields. But when you listen to his interview, it's the same ole cliches that come out - no hint of "character" there (or it's bound up by PR talk, which is much more likely, of course).

    As for personalities, I always thought MacGill had an interesting one for a cricketer. Maybe Nel in the WC - he seems like a weird guy. Not unendearing, by any measure, strangely.
    No, Panesar was picked because English selectors finally realised "surely we can do better than Ashley Giles".

    McGill is endearing because he has a brain, Nel is endearing becausing he hasn't got one

  12. #12
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    No, Panesar was picked because English selectors finally realised "surely we can do better than Ashley Giles".

    McGill is endearing because he has a brain, Nel is endearing becausing he hasn't got one
    Be realistic. Panesar being better than Giles is not the main reason he has become a cult hero. If Batty turned out to be better than Giles, people would not be wearing huge Gareth masks in the stands.

  13. #13
    International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,250
    Confusion because:

    picked on = made fun of

    vs

    picked = selected

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Confusion because:

    picked on = made fun of

    vs

    picked = selected
    yes, I think you might have miscomprehended me there Mr. M.

    Fiery > 4 posts a day
    Last edited by Fiery; 16-03-2007 at 04:41 AM.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Trinidad and Tobago (Trinidad)
    Posts
    36,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    yes, I think you might have miscomprehended me there Mr. M.

    Fiery > 4 posts a day
    Fairly certain you're the one who misunderstood Evermind, because you responded to his post about why Panesar is "picked on" with a post about why he was "picked".

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ICC 2006 Ashes Edition/ 2007 World Cup
    By beaters09 in forum General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-10-2006, 02:40 AM
  2. ICC 2006 Ashes Edition/ 2007 World Cup
    By beaters09 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-10-2006, 01:45 AM
  3. ICC 2006 Ashes Edition/ 2007 World Cup
    By beaters09 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-10-2006, 01:44 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •