• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Colourful cricketer at World Cup 2007

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Its early days , but Dwayne Leverock from Bermuda seems to have taken a huge lead in the most colourful cricketer at the World Cup Stakes, IMO .

Other contender so far is Lasith Malinga with his exhorbitant hair style.:laugh:

Any others ....

Evermind

International Debutant
Why does everyone keep picking on Leverock as a "character" or a "colourful personality"? He's just FAT. That's about all. Yeah, isn't it liberating to hear that word. He's not embarrassed of it - why's everyone else?

McGrath and Andre Nel etc are the real "characters". Maybe Sreesanth. Let's not mix up physical appearance and extroverted personalities.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does everyone keep picking on Leverock as a "character" or a "colourful personality"? He's just FAT. That's about all. Yeah, isn't it liberating to hear that word. He's not embarrassed of it - why's everyone else?

McGrath and Andre Nel etc are the real "characters". Maybe Sreesanth. Let's not mix up physical appearance and extroverted personalities.

You didn't see his little jig after he took a Sri Lankan wicket , then !:)

That was brilliant .:laugh:
The fat man can swing his hips.:laugh: :laugh:

The_Bunny

State Regular

I dont reckon you would say that to his face...
He could punch ou to the middle of next week.......... literally8-)

Fiery

Banned
I dont reckon you would say that to his face...
He could punch ou to the middle of next week.......... literally8-)
Oh c'mon Bunny. Evermind is dead right. Leverock's appeal is mainly due to the fact he's clinically obese and can bowl quite well

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh c'mon Bunny. Evermind is dead right. Leverock's appeal is mainly due to the fact he's clinically obese and can bowl quite well
And what's Panesar's appeal? That he's a Sikh and he can bowl quite well?

Leverock is at least as worthy as Monty to be considered a colourful cricketer.

Evermind

International Debutant
And what's Panesar's appeal? That he's a Sikh and he can bowl quite well?

Leverock is at least as worthy as Monty to be considered a colourful cricketer.
I agree. Panesar has also been picked on - quite condescendingly, I might add - as a "personality" because of his celebration of wickets and his odd motor skills which are quite evident when he fields. But when you listen to his interview, it's the same ole cliches that come out - no hint of "character" there (or it's bound up by PR talk, which is much more likely, of course).

As for personalities, I always thought MacGill had an interesting one for a cricketer. Maybe Nel in the WC - he seems like a weird guy. Not unendearing, by any measure, strangely.

Fiery

Banned
I agree. Panesar has also been picked on - quite condescendingly, I might add - as a "personality" because of his celebration of wickets and his odd motor skills which are quite evident when he fields. But when you listen to his interview, it's the same ole cliches that come out - no hint of "character" there (or it's bound up by PR talk, which is much more likely, of course).

As for personalities, I always thought MacGill had an interesting one for a cricketer. Maybe Nel in the WC - he seems like a weird guy. Not unendearing, by any measure, strangely.
No, Panesar was picked because English selectors finally realised "surely we can do better than Ashley Giles".

McGill is endearing because he has a brain, Nel is endearing becausing he hasn't got one

Mr Mxyzptlk

No, Panesar was picked because English selectors finally realised "surely we can do better than Ashley Giles".

McGill is endearing because he has a brain, Nel is endearing becausing he hasn't got one
Be realistic. Panesar being better than Giles is not the main reason he has become a cult hero. If Batty turned out to be better than Giles, people would not be wearing huge Gareth masks in the stands.

Mr Mxyzptlk

yes, I think you might have miscomprehended me there Mr. M.

Fiery > 4 posts a day :cool:
Fairly certain you're the one who misunderstood Evermind, because you responded to his post about why Panesar is "picked on" with a post about why he was "picked".

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain

The reason I think Leverock is popular is because he's fulfilling a dream - I bet you there are a lot of amatuer sportsmen all over the world who'd love to play in a WC and this guy is doing that! He's living the dream! I bet you a lot of us would like to bowl at KP or face Murali but we aren't good enough so we identify with him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The reason I think Leverock is popular is because he's fulfilling a dream - I bet you there are a lot of amatuer sportsmen all over the world who'd love to play in a WC and this guy is doing that! He's living the dream! I bet you a lot of us would like to bowl at KP or face Murali but we aren't good enough so we identify with him.
And he can dance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And yet the reality is - whoever they picked, it wouldn't have made an iota of difference.