• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super Eight

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, that just sounds stupid. I guess i'll wait till South Africa beats Australia on Saturday and we'll see then. If someone could post a link to confirm the super 8 positioning, that would be great, can't seem to find anything on cricinfo...
Haha, there's no need to wait and see. That's the way it works.

The easiest way to confirm it is to look at the schedule for a single team. It is already determined where each nation will play their Super 8 matches if they make it that far, regardless of what position they finish.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm actually not sure about that.
Ireland took Pakistan's place and are D1:

From the BBC on how the World Cup works:

Super Eight

There will be 24 matches in the Super Eight, with each team playing each other, except for the one team they have already faced in the group stage.

The points from that group stage match will be carried forward to their Super Eight tally.

The top four teams from the Super Eight will progress to the semi-finals and for any tiebreakers the criteria listed in the group stage above will be used.

The Super Eight seeding is the same as used in the first round, based on world ranking, with no notice taken of whether a side finishes first or second in a group.

For example, if South Africa win Group A and Australia come second, for the purposes of the Super Eight, South Africa will still be A2 and Australia will be A1.

If, for example, Scotland qualify instead of Australia, Scotland will become A1.

Sandman

Cricket Spectator
Lol, same time posting. Ok, cool. I believe u now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still sounds stupid to me though...

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, same time posting. Ok, cool. I believe u now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Still sounds stupid to me though...
Why is it stupid?

Think about it - it's not like having a seeding out of the group stage in say a football or rugby World Cup, where you avoid the other 1st placed nations for a round. There's absolutely no difference between being A1 and A2. Australia and South Africa will still play six matches against the other six qualifiers, and carry over points from their match in the group stage if they won it.

Plus, there's no argument for giving the team that finishes first an advantage over the other qualifier, as they already have one - the points from winning their direct match.

It would be stupid to make a country wait to find out when and where it would play its Super Eight games for absolutely no reason. Better to set the schedule up early.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Why is it stupid?

Think about it - it's not like having a seeding out of the group stage in say a football or rugby World Cup, where you avoid the other 1st placed nations for a round. There's absolutely no difference between being A1 and A2. Australia and South Africa will still play six matches against the other six qualifiers, and carry over points from their match in the group stage if they won it.

Plus, there's no argument for giving the team that finishes first an advantage over the other qualifier, as they already have one - the points from winning their direct match.

It would be stupid to make a country wait to find out when and where it would play its Super Eight games for absolutely no reason. Better to set the schedule up early.
To add to that....

When considering A1 and A2 it is definitely not stupid. The early matches in the Super 8 are being played at either Antigua or Guyana. Which are quite far apart. A1 will play there first 3 games in Antigua and A2 in Guyana. Instead of having to wait til the last minute to find where your team is playing, you already know, and hence making accomodation, getting tickets etc easy

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
New Zealand is the only team with a definite position in the super 8. Even if they lose to Canada (lol) they will still qualify 1st as they have 2 wins and beat both other super 8 possibilities.
Actually, it's NRR before results between teams, not that that would matter in terms of 2 teams tied for 1st place.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes - surprised me.

I was only looking to see if the NRR when 3 sides were tied was based on matches between the 3 or all matches.

Evermind

International Debutant
I think it's safe to assume that the run for the championship has narrowed to a 4-horse race:

Aus
SA
NZ
SL

I don't see Eng and WI being serious contenders, and India will be crashing out tonight.

So we pretty much have our semi-finalists here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, been thinking of some scenarios myself....

Assuming Sri Lanka knock out India (touchwood), it will be a BIG advantage for Australia (assuming they defeat RSA) and NZ. It basically means that Oz and the Kiwis will have 6 points in the bag. In that case, I would expect Australia and New Zealand to go to the semis, with Windies, SL, Eng, and RSA to fight for the remaining two spots. With all due respect, I dont really think England will make it. So, it narrows down to RSA, WI and SL. With these being familiar surroundings, I expect Windies to make it as well. Which would mean it will come down to SL/RSA. Expecting Aus to beat all, Kiwis to beat all but Aus, Windies to beat all but NZ, Aus, and assuming that SL defeat all but Windies, Aus and NZ. We will have Aus Vs SL as one semi and NZ Vs WI as the other.

IF India do beat SL, scenario changes rapidly. Count Ireland and England out (again, no disrespect intended, just based on personal opinion and bias), expect India to ride hot on this wave and finish no.2 to Australia, expect RSA to miss the boat and WSL to up the ante and it will get down to WI Vs NZ and I would expect SL to go through from that. A semifinal line up of SL Vs Ind and Aus Vs WI and still on the mark for Richard to change his avatar. ;) :p

Steulen

International Regular
Assuming Bangladesh will make it to Super Eight, it's true that the winner of SA vs Aus and NZ will have a big advantage going into S8. They will start with 2 points and will face both Ireland and Bangladesh in the S8.

So NZ and either SA/Aus off to 6 points; they'll be hard to catch for the others. Especially if India qualify instead of Sri Lanka, in which case Bangladesh will start at 2 points and the gap between NZ & SA/Aus and one of the other main contenders (i.e., India) will be even bigger.

So, into the semi-finals: NZ definitely, plus the winner of SA vs. Aus. Come to that, the loser of that match will probably make it to the semi's anyway given the quality of the two teams. That leaves WI, England, and SL or India as possible fourth semifinalists. If SL qualify, it could be a tight race between them and WI. If India qualify, I guess the 2 point gap with WI going into S8 will be decisive.

Of course, this all changes should SL and India both qualify (i.e., a really poor performance by Bangladesh against Bermuda happens) or England somehow manage to pedal their way into the reckoning.

Whatever happens...at this moment in time NZ, perhaps surprisingly, are the best placed team to make it to the semifinal. Tomorrow we'll know whether they are joined by the #1 or #2 team in the world.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Just one point - I wouldn't lump Bangladesh (if they qualify) with Ireland. Bangladesh won't get to SF but I do think they MIGHT beat one of the other five (not counting Ireland). its not impossible to see them beating NZ (they did it in the warm-up) England (they have three spinners and we are HOPELESS against spin) or even SA (might seem far-fetched but if Guyana is spin friendly....) but they won't beat more than one. On another topic I can't understand why S Fleming wants England to go through. If India and England (God forbid) were put out you'd be down to four of Australia, NZ, SA, SL and WI as realistic SF contenders. I'd be happy with a four out of five chance than a four out of seven!

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Just one point - I wouldn't lump Bangladesh (if they qualify) with Ireland. Bangladesh won't get to SF but I do think they MIGHT beat one of the other five (not counting Ireland). its not impossible to see them beating NZ (they did it in the warm-up) England (they have three spinners and we are HOPELESS against spin) or even SA (might seem far-fetched but if Guyana is spin friendly....) but they won't beat more than one. On another topic I can't understand why S Fleming wants England to go through. If India and England (God forbid) were put out you'd be down to four of Australia, NZ, SA, SL and WI as realistic SF contenders. I'd be happy with a four out of five chance than a four out of seven!

Fleming was mentioning right that England will be a team to watch and it might be dangerous a team, as they have got some good dilly-dobly cricketers. I think they need to improve a lot i think thats very much possible as they have done in the past. I am very much sure, it can whistle past Kenya to enter S8. No doubt in it!

Somewhere I could feel, England can be as dangerous as SAF , provided KP, Flint, Vaughan, Bell, Andy, plays gud cricket. And above all , panesar is very much imp role to play in this WC

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't understand why S Fleming wants England to go through.
Because if Kenya go through to the top 8, all the other sides except for NZ get to play them. Flem quite rightly sees England as a stronger side for the others to have to go up against.