• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Super Eight

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think anyone will ever understand how Australia and New Zealand capitulated to England in the CB series.
Because all England need to win most ODIs is a reasonable batting performance. Unfortunately to make the overall batting performance 'reasonable' it takes some outstanding individual performances because too many other batsmen just throw their wickets away each game.

Four of England's top six give their wicket away far too cheaply on a regular basis, it isn't good enough.

Dissector

International Debutant
Anyone who says that the middle overs of ODI's are boring needs to watch the last powerplay . As entertaining a spell of cricket as I have seen in a long time. The match had been drifting and as the commentators said the powerplay would decide the game. Malinga seemed to get his yorker going but was hit for two beautiful boundaries. KP edges one and then hits a four off Murali. Then of course the big turning point and Fernando seals the deal with two good wickets. Terrific stuff

simmy

International Regular
Point taken. Mind you, I wish we'd done the same and spared us the horrors watching us try to achieve anything in the super 8.
No way. I wish that India and Pak were still here. I couldn't care a less about any game involving Ireland or Bangladesh to be honest and ruins the competitive nature of what would have really been the "super 8"

simmy

International Regular
Because all England need to win most ODIs is a reasonable batting performance. Unfortunately to make the overall batting performance 'reasonable' it takes some outstanding individual performances because too many other batsmen just throw their wickets away each game.

Four of England's top six give their wicket away far too cheaply on a regular basis, it isn't good enough.
Yeah agreed. Our effort with ball and in the field was outstanding today I thought. The batting has been woeful.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone who says that the middle overs of ODI's are boring needs to watch the last powerplay . As entertaining a spell of cricket as I have seen in a long time. The match had been drifting and as the commentators said the powerplay would decide the game. Malinga seemed to get his yorker going but was hit for two beautiful boundaries. KP edges one and then hits a four off Murali. Then of course the big turning point and Fernando seals the deal with two good wickets. Terrific stuff

How many times is the powerplay taken in the middle overs? Then how many times does it also include a side like England who can lose a clutch of wickets on a regular basis?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
No way. I wish that India and Pak were still here. I couldn't care a less about any game involving Ireland or Bangladesh to be honest and ruins the competitive nature of what would have really been the "super 8"
If you take that attitude you might as well just do away with the qualifying and the group stages all together...

simmy

International Regular
How many times is the powerplay taken in the middle overs? Then how many times does it also include a side like England who can lose a clutch of wickets on a regular basis?
You are right. The batting team should get to chose one of the Powerplays. That would make it much more interesting.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anyone will ever understand how Australia and New Zealand capitulated to England in the CB series.
Well, as Scaly said at the time like the Chappell series, the CB series was a meaningless tournament which know one will remember for long.It was just part of the preparation for the W.C. This is the big time now, and we can see how Aust and NZ seem to have peaked at the right time.

Zinzan

Well they play conservatively in test matches and we are the second best team in the world.

It's the one day mind set. It's all wrong.
What has test cricket got to do with anything right now :laugh: Why not mention their football side while you are there

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Well they play conservatively in test matches and we are the second best team in the world.

It's the one day mind set. It's all wrong.
Not that Test cricket has any relevance here but England got to 2nd by being an attacking outfit in Test cricket.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For those that are interested, Ravi Bopara currently has the highest odi batting average of anyone in the side and, in all probability, of anyone who's ever played for the side.

Zinzan

From a NZ point of view, England would be doing us a favour if they win today, and of course win some of their other matches too. NZ would much prefer to play England rather than SL in a semi I would imagine.

simmy

International Regular
What has test cricket got to do with anything right now :laugh: Why not mention their football side while you are there
You said they the batsmen weren't very good...

I was just saying that they clearly have talent just need some focus!