• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Believes India Has A Weaker Bowling Attack

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty fair assessment, TBH.

I was a bit :unsure: when I saw you with last-post in this thread, wondering whether I'd be in for another :tomato:.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This thread is a joke. I can't believe so many people are condemning Richard's views here - Bangladesh are certainly improving rapidly but yesterday's match was still an anomaly.
Let them accomplish more before declaring them a class side.
agreed on everything except that it certainly has not been a rapid improvement on the part of the bangladeshis...it has been a slow, painful(as in really painful to watch) process...

adharcric

International Coach
As usual, it has more to do with Richard's uncompromising attitude than whether or not he's correct.

In this case, he poured scorn all over the very idea that Bangladesh had a show of winning and now he looks a bit silly. It's no surprise that others are now putting the boot in, and even less surprising that Richard's fighting like a cornered mongoose. He always does, and is proud of it.
Fair enough. Richard might be stubborn and he's certainly wrong about Bangladesh not showing tremendous positive signs (if that's what he's saying), but he looks a lot more sensible than some of the other people in this thread who are acting as if Bangladesh have become world champions overnight.

crickmate

U19 12th Man
no one acted like Bangladesh became world champ. If you haven't seen my last post, I said you can now expect BD to win 1 or 2 out of every 10 matches. And within next 5 years BD will be among the top teams. I think that's quite rational comment considering BD's current form and progress. Only one is acting extreme here is the guy who thinks BD hasn't improved at all.

Fair enough. Richard might be stubborn and he's certainly wrong about Bangladesh not showing tremendous positive signs (if that's what he's saying), but he looks a lot more sensible than some of the other people in this thread who are acting as if Bangladesh have become world champions overnight.

Last edited:

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Nope, they haven't, they were annhailated in the Champions Trophy. They might have bowled well today, presumably on a nice bowling pitch, but that doesn't mean 450 was ever OOTQ.
Oh Richard, you MUST be talking about the Bangladesh Team of the "RECENT PAST." You see after the Champions trophy, a lot has changed in the team and the bowlers have come up leaps and bounds since then 8-).....and even though the team line-up has changed a bit since then, the strike bowler remains the same, and he was the highest wicket taker in 2006 (49 wickets) followed 2nd or 3rd by Abdur Razzaq his team mate with 46 or 47 wickets. Even though they played against a lowly Kenya and a dying, depleted, lowly Zimbabwe side, I seriously doubt how well many other classy bowlers would have fared against such an opponent.

Seriously speaking, 4-44 against NZ (it was 4-22 in 7 overs at first but then mighty Oram slogged him at the death), and now this. 4-38 against India!

Still not good enough? Then let action speak louder than words.

True a single win such as this may look like a glitch which unless proven otherwise (okay so let me just consider the NZ match as one that should not be counted since it was only a practice match and not a real one). But really, come on, even after siltenly progressing on this campaign without a loss you still mean to give them no credit :blink:?????

Oh well, I think I've spoken too much, I'll just let the bowler do the talking with his 10 overs every match 8-)!!!!!

Peace

Last edited:

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
No, it wasn't. It was unlikely, but so was a seriously bad ****-up that ended-up happening.

WTF? That makes no sense.

Ganguly's presence massively increases the strength of India's batting-line-up. Simple as.

Ganguly's presence massively increases the strength of India's OUT-OF-FORM batting-line-up. Simple as.

Eh? India lost to Bangladesh, yes. I was expecting them not to, but I never said it was impossible. That WOULD have been daft.

I wasn't wrong to expect India to win, that was just common sense - name me a single realistically minded person on this site who expected something else?
Secretly, I'm sure many were. And for the second bit, I was (hopefully you do consider me a realistically minded person :blink:)!

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

But such things aren't always an ultimately accurate gauge, either. Just look at, for example, the cases of Daren Ganga, Greg Blewett, Imran Farhat and Hemang Badani. Technically excellent, and with no apparent inferiority complex. Ian Bell looked for a time like he might be going down that route, but fortunately he seems to have gone from "appears" to "is".

Me, I'm not willing to give any Bangladeshi player a top-notch rating unless he looks really special a la Shahriar Nafees Ahmed, Mohammad Rafique, Mashrafe bin Mortaza. I've seen too many who, on whether on the Tushar, Saleh or Ashraful side, appear to, in some ways, have the goods, but nonetheless fail repeatedly. There have been at least 2 occasions where I've thought Bangladesh have been improving and they've ended-up going back down again fairly rapidly. Next time, I'm going to wait for some real, solid evidence - ie, 2 or 3 years of consistent performance from more than 2 or 3 players, before getting excited again.

And until such a time, I won't take Bangladesh games seriously as Tests\ODIs, even if they do win the odd one.
This post made more sense than most of the others that you posted :blink:!!!!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
i'm not sure why you take 30+ as a sign of consistency for a top order batsman, it's not, anything less than 35 would be less than average in these high-scoring days...and if you notice the bolded ones above, he has quite a lot of those...in fact out of 26 series, 13 of his series have been low-scoring ones...if that isn't inconsistency what is?
But I am not arguing that he is a great ODI batsman, and he does average 35. But an 'average' of 35 means some will be lower, and some higher. If they were all higher, his average would be Tendulkar :). Averaging 30 means he has been useful with the bat.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes but with his talent Gilchrist really should be averaging 40+ in one day cricket.He gets his 30 and 40s but never really seeems to knuckle down.That's probably the reason that his average is 35 which don't get me wrong is still ver good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh Richard, you MUST be talking about the Bangladesh Team of the "RECENT PAST." You see after the Champions trophy, a lot has changed in the team and the bowlers have come up leaps and bounds since then 8-)
Good, I'm delighted to hear it. I'm going to wait for more than 1 match before I jump to that conclusion, however.
Seriously speaking, 4-44 against NZ (it was 4-22 in 7 overs at first but then mighty Oram slogged him at the death), and now this. 4-38 against India!
But that NZ game is not something I'm going to take seriously. Nonetheless, I always rated Mashrafe bin Mortaza very highly, from the time I first saw him in 2003. Not for a second am I saying he's not a very, very good bowler, you certainly don't need to go telling me that. I did wonder whether the injury might ruin him, but thankfully it seems not to have.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Perhaps I should have said realistically-minded non-Bangladeshis.
:laugh:.....nice one :p!!!!!

Good, I'm delighted to hear it. I'm going to wait for more than 1 match before I jump to that conclusion, however.

But that NZ game is not something I'm going to take seriously. Nonetheless, I always rated Mashrafe bin Mortaza very highly, from the time I first saw him in 2003. Not for a second am I saying he's not a very, very good bowler, you certainly don't need to go telling me that. I did wonder whether the injury might ruin him, but thankfully it seems not to have.
Hopefully Mashrafe will stay fit enough throughout most of his career :ph34r:, however, I do not have much doubt over the Bangladeshi bowlers, but I do have a lot of doubt over the batsmen. They all start out flashy and then go on to become a Aftab or a Ashraful :dry:.....just look at Tamim, exciting player, but reminds me too much of the other two who came to the cricket world at a similar age and made did such feats at first. Now they are nowhere to being as consistant!

Hope Tamim turns out to be an eventual Jayasuryia *hopes too high* :ph34r:!!!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
But I am not arguing that he is a great ODI batsman, and he does average 35. But an 'average' of 35 means some will be lower, and some higher. If they were all higher, his average would be Tendulkar :). Averaging 30 means he has been useful with the bat.
well he is certainly a useful player and an explosive one and on his day, a runaway matchwinner, that was not the point when we started this, consistency was...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
well he is certainly a useful player and an explosive one and on his day, a runaway matchwinner, that was not the point when we started this, consistency was...
Exactly. He is consistent. I never said he was the best ODI batsman ever. But he is consistent enough to be useful in 19/26 series he played during that period, which was my point.