• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland's chances

Fiery

Banned
What are the chances of Ireland qualifying for the Super 8's? Is it possible they could beat Pakistan or the Windies?
Anything's possible with Pakistan (and with WI to a lesser extent). Ireland had SA on the ropes in the warm-up only to be saved by Andrew Hall so...never say never

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh beat NZ, too... says far more about the games than it does about the teams IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Ireland's have a chance if Pakistan screws up badly, because as we have seen in the practice games Irish bowlers certainly have the quality to trouble a good batting side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny, really, that they caused so few problems to several extremely questionable batting sides in the C&G, then...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like his Location better, personally, as I mentioned on one of his earlier posts.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
They should beat Zimbabwe, but the only way I can see them beating Pakistan or WI is if they bat first, scramble together 200, and Langford-Smith and Johnson (who bowled well in the warm-ups) reduce them to say 20-3 and they then panic. Judging by the SA game they probably can't chase under pressure (and most shock results in WC history come when the minnows bat first)

i_cricket

Cricket Spectator
Ireland do have batting good enough to make 250-300 against Pakistan and West Indies if they get a good batting track. They did make 263 against England in their 1st ODI and got some huge scores in the WCL also.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ireland and Holland have the best chance any non-test side has had at a WC IMO, excluding Kenya. Both are vaguely decent and have a few handy international players, and it's not out of the realms of possibility that one could win a match against a decent team, much like Kenya has a few times. You wouldn't bet on it, but it's plausible.

The same obviously applies to Bangladesh and Kenya, though I can't see Zimbabwe doing much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both were crazy predictions. One of those crazy things just happened to happen.

It doesn't mean predicting the stronger side to win was a bad idea.

R_D

International Debutant
Both were crazy predictions. One of those crazy things just happened to happen.

It doesn't mean predicting the stronger side to win was a bad idea.
no but saying they had 0 chance was bit crazy. There's always a chance of opposite happening.. simple probability nothings 100%.