• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Dream Team

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Guys, I need a World Cup Dream Team for a competition at work. They can play for any team, but must take part in actual matches during this world cup. I need 11 players. Points will be allocated according to each individual actual performance starting from March 13.
Anybody willing to select a team for me, please, as I don't know other teams' players as well as I know my own, or how they compare? :)
I realise people have different opinions but using the name most suggested in a position should sort it out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be no good at that sorta guesswork, I'm afraid.

Too much personal preference would come into it.

And we really are guessing where the pitches are concerned.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
This would be mine:

Lou Vincent
Graeme Smith*
Shane Watson
Kevin Pietersen
Shoaib Malik
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Ryan ten Doeschate
Brendan Taylor+
Shaun Pollock
Nathan Bracken
James Anderson

If Boetta was there, Chanders would drop out.

Rich2001

International Captain
This would be mine:

Lou Vincent
Graeme Smith*
Shane Watson
Kevin Pietersen
Shoaib Malik
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Ryan ten Doeschate
Brendan Taylor+
Shaun Pollock
Nathan Bracken
James Anderson

If Boetta was there, Chanders would drop out.
Ryan ten Doeschate / Brendan Taylor can't see either of those teams making it very far and as he said nothing about the ablity to transfer players I would probley want to pick from teams that will at least make the Super 8's

On a side note jot1 you might be intrested in Cricket Web's Fantasy Cricket game :happy:

Rich2001

International Captain
No problem.:)
Unfortunately I can't see the teams at CW Fantasy Cricket Game so am no wiser about a World Cup 11.
I was meaning to join it with your friends and take part in a user league between yourselves rather - we have a points system in place so it saves you having to work it out each game :happy:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I was meaning to join it with your friends and take part in a user league between yourselves rather - we have a points system in place so it saves you having to work it out each game :happy:
Oh, ok. What do I know?:laugh: All that is too complicated for me. I might even be blond!:ph34r:
So, obviously, no one can suggest a team here because they might be giving away their team in the Fantasy game. Well, fair enough.:) Thanks anyway.:)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh, ok. What do I know?:laugh: All that is too complicated for me. I might even be blond!:ph34r:
So, obviously, no one can suggest a team here because they might be giving away their team in the Fantasy game. Well, fair enough.:) Thanks anyway.:)
A lot depends on the scoring system for the comp you're entering & the value of the players in it, I'd say. I mean it's a no-brainer that chaps like Kallis, Dravid, Ponting, Jayasuriya & Gilchrist will have good tournaments, but to see who is the best value as such you'd need to tell us how much they all cost.

As a general tip players who are multi-dimensional are the best bets, especially if they aren't classified as all-rounders. If (say) Gayle was classified as a batsman he'd be a good shout because the chances are he'll turn his arm over at some point too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ Somehow I think that may just break the salary cap.

Take a punt on Rana. May work out, even if he just gets wickets at the death (obviously he has to play first).

jot1

State Vice-Captain
A lot depends on the scoring system for the comp you're entering
This comp is not at all complicated. (Maybe because I devised it!:p)
4 batsmen, 4 bowlers, 2 all rounders, 1 wickie.
All actual runs scored during the series by all team members added together, wickets are runs added and so are catches, run outs and stumpings by a member of your team. A MOTM in your team is bonus runs and the MOTS is bonus runs. Team with the most runs is the winner.
Thanks to those who have posted a team so far.:)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting
Hussey
Lara
Pietersen
Flintoff
Kallis
Gilchrist+ (or Sangakarra, not sure when Gilchrist will play)
Bond
McGrath
Muralitharan
Ntini

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This comp is not at all complicated. (Maybe because I devised it!:p)
4 batsmen, 4 bowlers, 2 all rounders, 1 wickie.
All actual runs scored during the series by all team members added together, wickets are runs added and so are catches, run outs and stumpings by a member of your team. A MOTM in your team is bonus runs and the MOTS is bonus runs. Team with the most runs is the winner.
Thanks to those who have posted a team so far.:)
Are all players valued the same or do the better ones have higher weightings?

Assuming it's the former (and obviously assuming the players are classified like this) I'd go for something like:

Batsmen:
Ponting
Smith
Gayle
Pietersen

ARs:
Flintoff
Pollock

WK:
Gilchrist

Bowlers:
Ntini
Murali
McGrath
Bracken

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All players valued the same.
Are the managers allowed transfers? If so players like Bond or Yousuf might be worth a look even if their teams might not get out of the Super 8. If not you'd be better off going for players from the nations you'd back to make the semis at least.

Even if I do have two English players (as opposed to Englishmen as one's KP) in my team.... :ph34r:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
No managers, no substitutes. Your team guy falls out for some reason, injury, whatever, tough titties!:ph34r: