• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most unluckiest player to miss out on world cup

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
i reckon that Boeta Dippenaar would be the most unluckiest player to be not at the world cup. when you look at his stats he has an odi average of 42.87 in over 100 games and averaged 40.68 in 2006 and 53 in 2005. so hes hardly done too much wrong.

who do you all reckon is the best player or most unluckiest player to not be playing in the west indies.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah Boeta would be my list to (what the hell someone like Bosman doing in the SA squad), other guys would be Dizzy gillespie(since his experience would have helped the aussie a lot compared to someone like Clark), Kaif(he is the best fielder in Indian team and a pretty good middle order bat would have been my pick ahead of someone like Uthappa [because he is an opener not a no.3] ).

i_cricket

Cricket Spectator
VVS Laxman should be the most unluckiest player to miss out looking at his record in the West Indies and also against Australia

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Powar for mine. He'd probably make the squads of most other countries if he weren't Indian.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Christopher Zinzan Harris.

Who's done nothing whatsoever to miss-out except get injured and see a load of rubbish bowlers do by-and-large poorly in his place.

With regards Dippenaar, I've said it 100 times - fine, fine player though he is, I just can't see a SAfrican ODI side with both Kallis and himself - not to mention the fact that he's yet another opener and in Smith, ABdeV, Gibbs, Bosman and Hall SA have more than enough options there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Shocking grammar in the title

Anyhow, Chris Read probably thought he was a shoe-in for the WC once Geraint got dropped for the second time. He must be gutted.

Wouldn't say he's the most unlucky mind

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dippenaar for sure.
Absolutely

With regards Dippenaar, I've said it 100 times - fine, fine player though he is, I just can't see a SAfrican ODI side with both Kallis and himself - not to mention the fact that he's yet another opener and in Smith, ABdeV, Gibbs, Bosman and Hall SA have more than enough options there.
Say it 1000 times, doesnt mean it means they cant play together.

Kallis and Dippenaar have only played 3 full series together (though many where one or the other misses a game here or there for some reason)

SA in Pak 03/04
WI in SA 03/04
SA in WI 04/05

SA have a combined record of 11-3 in those games and Dippenaar scored ovr 700 runs @ 65 with 2 hundreds and 6 fifties. Kallis also scored over 700 runs at an average of over 74 with 2 hundreds and 5 fifties.

SA also won all three series.

Fair to say that Kallis and Dippenaar play very well together.

Also, Hall is not an opener. Has opened in about 25% of his ODIs but he is a guy sent to do a job rather than a real opener.

Dippenaars exclusion was a straight tossup between him and Bosman. It is impossible to make a credible argument why this would result in the way it did. Especially when you consider (ignoring Dippenaars vastly superior record) that the last time they were in WI he was man of the series and the tracks look like they will offer assistance and keep low. That needs an experienced, technical player rather than some slogger that relys on fate and luck to be successful.

Its not even like the inclusion of Bosman is to promote and develop a youthful talent. He is older than Dippenaar :blink:

Im not Dippenaars biggest fan by any stretch, but to even the most casual of cricket fans his exclusion is a disgrace.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
On what basis is the selection of Bosman justified for the world cup side.
2 Primary reasons

- SAs desire to play 'Brave cricket' and Bosman going for the bowling early is part of that.

- But more importantly was SA Crickets declared target of 7 non-white players in the squad, which with the debatable inclusion of Loots Bosman, Robbie P and 34 yr old Telemachus they managed to hit.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Chamara Kapugedera, atleast with the other guys who missed out you have players who could play his role in the team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thought I posted in this thread, weird.

Anyway, Powar for mine, his record over the last 12-18 months has been excellent. Very stiff to miss out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Say it 1000 times, doesnt mean it means they cant play together.

Kallis and Dippenaar have only played 3 full series together (though many where one or the other misses a game here or there for some reason)

SA in Pak 03/04
WI in SA 03/04
SA in WI 04/05

SA have a combined record of 11-3 in those games and Dippenaar scored ovr 700 runs @ 65 with 2 hundreds and 6 fifties. Kallis also scored over 700 runs at an average of over 74 with 2 hundreds and 5 fifties.

SA also won all three series.

Fair to say that Kallis and Dippenaar play very well together.

Also, Hall is not an opener. Has opened in about 25% of his ODIs but he is a guy sent to do a job rather than a real opener.

Dippenaars exclusion was a straight tossup between him and Bosman. It is impossible to make a credible argument why this would result in the way it did. Especially when you consider (ignoring Dippenaars vastly superior record) that the last time they were in WI he was man of the series and the tracks look like they will offer assistance and keep low. That needs an experienced, technical player rather than some slogger that relys on fate and luck to be successful.

Its not even like the inclusion of Bosman is to promote and develop a youthful talent. He is older than Dippenaar :blink:

Im not Dippenaars biggest fan by any stretch, but to even the most casual of cricket fans his exclusion is a disgrace.
Where did I say they can't play together?

Where, indeed, did I say Bosman was remotely close to being as good as him?

I said for me, Kallis and Dippenaar in the same side doesn't go. I'd be more interested to see a match-by-match, rather than full-series-by-full-series breakdown, personally.

jammay123

State 12th Man
loye was an unlucky one . did a good job downunder but instead a guy with only 1 cap. dont get me wrong ravi could be big this wc but i fell it was unfair to leave loye out. the size of the squads should be 16 it would sort out alot of problems

andmark

International Captain
Fat Gat doing a un adviced reverse sweep.Which got caught at the World cup final.

I would call him Gatting but he didn't give me his autograph at a set of traffic lights;which we were at.