• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Skipper

mjtaba

Cricket Spectator
Who is the best skipper for Pakistan after Imran Khan.My choice is Wasim Akram,what do you guys say?

Natman20

International Debutant
Fleming is massively overrated.

Vaughan the best captain out of those in the World Cup.
I would take Flemings average of 32.15 over Vaughan's 27.7. Plus Fleming has more experience. Plus Fleming has had more winning experiences than vaughan in ODIs plus Vaughan is over-rated. Vaughan is nothing spectacular and I think Fleming has passed his peak but is still a good captain.

PATRIOTIC

Cricket Spectator
Who is the best skipper for Pakistan after Imran Khan.My choice is Wasim Akram,what do you guys say?
After Imran I think Rashid Latif was the best skipper. He did groomed few youngsters. Plus he got integrity, which doesnt work in Pakistan.

pup11

International Coach
Mark Taylor is one of my all time favourite captains more in test matches tough, But i rate "Steve Tugga Waugh" as the best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would take Flemings average of 32.15 over Vaughan's 27.7.
Those averages don't come close to doing justice to the difference between the players.

Get rid of substandard sides in Vaughan's, for a start, then think what Fleming's might be if he'd batted four for his entire ODI career rather than opening almost every game for the last 5 years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Taylor is one of my all time favourite captains more in test matches tough, But i rate "Steve Tugga Waugh" as the best.
Virtually none who either played against or observed from the outside rate Stephen Waugh > Taylor.

Only Waugh's players and relatively clueless spectators do such a thing, which tells you a bit about Waugh's ability to inspire loyalty...

thierry henry

International Coach
Those averages don't come close to doing justice to the difference between the players.

Get rid of substandard sides in Vaughan's, for a start, then think what Fleming's might be if he'd batted four for his entire ODI career rather than opening almost every game for the last 5 years.

Fleming has batted #4 82 times and averaged 32.84. He's opened 97 times and averaged 33.26. I don't really see where you're coming from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most of his opening innings have been in the prime of his career. But you can clearly see that he's not an opener.

I'd say if he'd batted four for most of the last 5 years his average there would probably be in the late 30s at worst.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Most of his opening innings have been in the prime of his career. But you can clearly see that he's not an opener.

I'd say if he'd batted four for most of the last 5 years his average there would probably be in the late 30s at worst.
Agreed.
Fleming has basically sacrificed stats (which, i think, far too many people take as gospel) over the side by opening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who's to say, though, that Fleming wouldn't have been even more use to the side at four were he averaging 40 or whatever and someone else (Michael Papps, for example) was opening?