• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne dismisses South AFrica's chances

Craig

World Traveller
Never misses an opportunity does he.

I assume he has been elected President of the Bitter Former Test Greats Association (BFTGA)?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I assume he has been elected President of the Bitter Former Test Greats Association (BFTGA)?
Boycott's the life president, in all fairness.

It's quite interesting to read Warney's thinking & see how flawed it is. He reckons Oz will be ok because they're scoring 350s still. Hmmm, well given that all the players missing from the Chappell/Lillee thingy were primarily batsman (Ponting, Gilchrist, Symonds) rather than bowlers I'd say the inability to defend such scores was cause for concern at the very least.

howardj

International Coach

Neil Harvey, the founder?

Anyway, contrary to what Craigos said, I didn't detect much bitterness in Warnie's comments. In fact, for Warnie, the comments were quite measured.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Boycott's the life president, in all fairness.

It's quite interesting to read Warney's thinking & see how flawed it is. He reckons Oz will be ok because they're scoring 350s still. Hmmm, well given that all the players missing from the Chappell/Lillee thingy were primarily batsman (Ponting, Gilchrist, Symonds) rather than bowlers I'd say the inability to defend such scores was cause for concern at the very least.

There's a big difference chasing 350 against a weakened Australia attack in a standard ODI and chasing 350 against a pumped up Australia side in a World Cup.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
There's a big difference chasing 350 against a weakened Australia attack in a standard ODI and chasing 350 against a pumped up Australia side in a World Cup.
Maybe they will be pumped up, but their bowling attack is certainly not all that strong (though its effective)anymore after the loss of Lee.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You ARE joking, aren't you?

If there's one thing Sir Geoffrey isn't it's bitter about being a former player! He achieved more than most in the game.
Clearly I wasn't. He's a good analyst of the sport & actually quite fair-minded in his criticisms, but he's forever moaning about this-or-that imagined slight. He blamed the media's southern bias for not getting a regular job at the BBC when he retired, for instance. &, TBF, I didn't say he was bitter about being an ex-player, rather that he was an ex-player who was bitter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, right, well every ex-player is, then.

Same as you and me.

Most of us are pretty bitter about some stuff every day of our lives.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly I wasn't. He's a good analyst of the sport & actually quite fair-minded in his criticisms, but he's forever moaning about this-or-that imagined slight. He blamed the media's southern bias for not getting a regular job at the BBC when he retired, for instance. &, TBF, I didn't say he was bitter about being an ex-player, rather that he was an ex-player who was bitter.
The BBC has a huge southern bias, like a lot of things in this country. I'm sick of seeing old boy network toffs who went to Eton and then Oxbridge (who themselves have a southern bias) and so are guaranteed numerous opportunities at the BBC because of it. Watch any of those series of programs in the evening on BBC1 where they show the background of some successful sitcom series. As sure as crap floats to the top there'll be a load of the cast that knew each other from Oxbridge.

Until recently cricket was just as bad with its old boy network. There are plenty of northerners who are made outcasts at the earliest opportunity - they get selected for England as late as possible and when their career finished they were shut out by the ECB (or older equivalent, that sort of thing) in favour of know-nothing southern yes-men.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
holly smokes... u know what amazed me there. poll of who is going to win world cup in the side of the page. the winner of that poll is pakistan. can u belive it lol.

Beleg

International Regular
Eh, I think you folks are taking this a bit too seriously. He's obviously playing his team up/taking a pot-shot at the Saffies pre world cup, probably hoping to fray a few tempers and rattle some resolves.

It's part of the psychological warfare being preptuated against the Saffies, re: Hussey's comments.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still, even Arjuna Ranatunga came out and said he doesn't rate SA's chances because of how they play in big tournaments. Its not just Warney, people feel the need to cut them down considering the high they're on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they prove everyone wrong.

Beleg

International Regular
Warne and Ranatunga agreeing on something?

I didn't know the lunar eclipse would bring about the apocalypse!

pup11

International Coach
I think in a way Warne's assessment of South Africa is not far of the mark, there attack hardly has any variation and with that they don't have any handy part-timers who can be really usefull in odi's.

They have been nothing but extraordinary at home, but their record away from home is hardly anything to write home about.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Still, even Arjuna Ranatunga came out and said he doesn't rate SA's chances because of how they play in big tournaments. Its not just Warney, people feel the need to cut them down considering the high they're on.

I wouldn't be surprised if they prove everyone wrong.
i think they are going to make the final this time...