• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains !!!!!!!!!!!

biased indian

International Coach
Who will hold on to their Job. what ever be their teams result in world cup ?

Who will loose it what ever happens (Retirement being one reason) ?

What each of thems team will have to minimum achive for them to hold on to thier post ?

pasag

RTDAS
Will Smith be under threat if SA don't get very far? I don't know the politics there to comment as much as others do, but he'd be under the pump if they fail badly I'd imagine.

Edit: Haha Will Smith.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I imagine West Indies, Pakistan will lose their captain due to retirement (at least in my view), maybe even New Zealand.

To be honest I think India and Sri Lanka will be the two sides with captains under most scrutiny if neither side reaches the semi finals. I don't know how patient Australia will be with Ponting if Aussie don't win or at least make the semis either.

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting's not going anywhere, imo, regardless of how badly Australia do. Especially with no viable candidate to take over.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
:laugh:

I think Smith might be under pressure if we don't make it to the Super 8's, although from recent experiance I think it'll be more public than official pressure. I don't think he's really in much danger of losing his position, the bigwigs seem to like him.

biased indian

International Coach
:laugh:

I think Smith might be under pressure if we don't make it to the Super 8's, although from recent experiance I think it'll be more public than official pressure. I don't think he's really in much danger of losing his position, the bigwigs seem to like him.
So u all will be happy if u can beat Scotland and Holland

and get defeated by every other team

haroon510

International 12th Man
Inzi and lara would retire after world cup
Pointing would be the one that is going to hold on to it despite losing.
i didn't get the last question.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha

I'd be surprised if Vaughan didn't retire from odi's after the WC.
Given that he went on what was basically a pointless tour to Australia for a few months, has been rushing to get fitness and form, and has taken back the captaincy, I highly doubt he'll retire-- at least of his own will-- after the WC.

adharcric

International Coach
Lara and Inzy will retire. Ponting, Dravid and Fleming are safe. Smith and Jayawardene could face the heat if their sides fail miserably. As for England ...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Given that he went on what was basically a pointless tour to Australia for a few months, has been rushing to get fitness and form, and has taken back the captaincy, I highly doubt he'll retire-- at least of his own will-- after the WC.
Yes (re. Vaughan), but being desperate to play in this one doesn't mean he's remotely considering playing in the next one. Given his fitness and oneday record, I think he'll prefer to conserve his energies for tests after the WC.

pup11

International Coach
Vaughan and Lara would retire, Punter and Dravid are safe .

Smith might lose his job as captain if the Proteas don't do well but then who would replace him?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stephen Fleming would only go at his own accord IMO, that is if he retires

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who will hold on to their Job. what ever be their teams result in world cup ?

Who will loose it what ever happens (Retirement being one reason) ?

What each of thems team will have to minimum achive for them to hold on to thier post ?
Hmm...
Ponting - can't see him losing his job come-what-may. Australia are far more likely than not to reach the semis, and can't see someone being sacked for failing to progress past the semis.
Vaughan - let's all hope he retires from ODIs in any case. If not, hopefully he might be dropped. Not sacked - dropped.
Dravid - should IMO retire from ODIs but might well not. If he doesn't he should retire from Tests soon.
Fleming - ditto.
Inzy - surely he'll retire from ODIs at the very least.
Smith - a bit worried if SA don't reach the semis, but hopefully that won't happen.
Will Smith
:lol:
Jayawardene - should keep his job, can't see him being removed or removing himself, regardless, and SL are probably 3rd-faves at the mo.
Lara - should retire from ODIs gracefully.

That's my summation...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha

Disagree tbh. I think once he knew he wouldn't play in the Ashes, Vaugahn's focus has been getting fit for the WC, and on the sparse occasions he was fit, trying to mould a decent one-day outfit that will be competitive at said tournament. He has, in the past 18 months, hinted at retiring from ODIs to prolong his Test career, what better time to retire from ODIs than after winning the World Cup as skipper? :p

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Captains I reckon will/could resign after WC:
Lara - a dead cert to retire from ODIs IMO
Vaughan - might do a Hussain and give up the ODI part of his job (wether a split captaincy would last any longer than in 2003 is another matter)
Fleming - NZ won't sack him but he might reckon 10 years and 3 WCs as captain are enough for one man.
Captain I reckon could resign OR be sacked:
Inzamam - if Pakistan do well I think he'll reitre with honour. If they don't....well Pakistan change captains a lot, don't they?
Captains I reckon are most in danger of the sack (apart from Inzy) :
Smith, Dravid: I just think if india or SA do badly (ie fail to reach semis) that they are the most likely to sack the captain (apart from Pakistan). Are there people in India who still want Sourav as captain?
Captains I reckon are most likely to be still captain on April 28th 2008:
Ponting - remember the last time the Aussies flopped in a WC? Thet still kept faith with Border. I reckon unless Australia lose to Holland and/or Scotland he'll survive.
Jayawardne: the shortest serving of the "big 8" captains - I reckon the ICC's captain of the year will be OK unless SL are as crap as they were in 1999.