• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Captains !!!!!!!!!!!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Captains I reckon will/could resign after WC:
Lara - a dead cert to retire from ODIs IMO
Vaughan - might do a Hussain and give up the ODI part of his job (wether a split captaincy would last any longer than in 2003 is another matter)
Fleming - NZ won't sack him but he might reckon 10 years and 3 WCs as captain are enough for one man.
Captain I reckon could resign OR be sacked:
Inzamam - if Pakistan do well I think he'll reitre with honour. If they don't....well Pakistan change captains a lot, don't they?
Captains I reckon are most in danger of the sack (apart from Inzy) :
Smith, Dravid: I just think if india or SA do badly (ie fail to reach semis) that they are the most likely to sack the captain (apart from Pakistan). Are there people in India who still want Sourav as captain?
Captains I reckon are most likely to be still captain on April 28th 2008:
Ponting - remember the last time the Aussies flopped in a WC? Thet still kept faith with Border. I reckon unless Australia lose to Holland and/or Scotland he'll survive.
Jayawardne: the shortest serving of the "big 8" captains - I reckon the ICC's captain of the year will be OK unless SL are as crap as they were in 1999.

Why on earth would India sack Dravid ? Unless India fail to make the super 8's which is unlikely.
Even if India fail to make the semis, it would be very unlikely that he'd be sacked.
SInce November 2005, he has 5 test wins to 4 test losses (against fellow top 8 nations - played more away than home as well) and he has more ODI wins than losses in that time period.

On top of that, I don't really see India as having any viable candidates for takeover.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
AUS - Ponting to stay
SL - Jayawardene to stay
RSA - SMith to stay
PAK - Younis Khan to be new skipper
WI - Personally reckon Lara will lead the Windies lads to England but Sarwan will soon be in the top job.
India - Dravid to stay
ENG - Vaughan to continue (altho I think neither he nor STrauss are good enough for ODI cricket)
NZ - Vettori to captain (I think NZ cricket needs a new man at the helm - not to say Fleming wasn't a top captain, but I think it'll be good for the Kiwis to have fresh leadership).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Fresh" has to be the most overrated thing in cricket.

Leadership doesn't go "stale"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can it?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
"Fresh" has to be the most overrated thing in cricket.

Leadership doesn't go "stale"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can it?
Because a new leader potentially brings different ideas, different thought processes to the table.
WHat worked in the past may not necessarily work now......got it Dicko ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Working" isn't about results, that's not what I'm referring to.

It's unfair to judge a captain purely on the results of the team he's captaining, you can't do much if the players aren't that good (which, in Tests, NZ's haven't been for a little while).