Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Captains !!!!!!!!!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian View Post
    Who will hold on to their Job. what ever be their teams result in world cup ?

Who will loose it what ever happens (Retirement being one reason) ?

What each of thems team will have to minimum achive for them to hold on to thier post ?
    Hmm...
    Ponting - can't see him losing his job come-what-may. Australia are far more likely than not to reach the semis, and can't see someone being sacked for failing to progress past the semis.
    Vaughan - let's all hope he retires from ODIs in any case. If not, hopefully he might be dropped. Not sacked - dropped.
    Dravid - should IMO retire from ODIs but might well not. If he doesn't he should retire from Tests soon.
    Fleming - ditto.
    Inzy - surely he'll retire from ODIs at the very least.
    Smith - a bit worried if SA don't reach the semis, but hopefully that won't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Will Smith

Jayawardene - should keep his job, can't see him being removed or removing himself, regardless, and SL are probably 3rd-faves at the mo.
    Lara - should retire from ODIs gracefully.

That's my summation...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Haha

Given that he went on what was basically a pointless tour to Australia for a few months, has been rushing to get fitness and form, and has taken back the captaincy, I highly doubt he'll retire-- at least of his own will-- after the WC.
    Disagree tbh. I think once he knew he wouldn't play in the Ashes, Vaugahn's focus has been getting fit for the WC, and on the sparse occasions he was fit, trying to mould a decent one-day outfit that will be competitive at said tournament. He has, in the past 18 months, hinted at retiring from ODIs to prolong his Test career, what better time to retire from ODIs than after winning the World Cup as skipper?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The cynic in me thinks finishing bottom of the Super Eight table...

Captains I reckon will/could resign after WC:
    Lara - a dead cert to retire from ODIs IMO
    Vaughan - might do a Hussain and give up the ODI part of his job (wether a split captaincy would last any longer than in 2003 is another matter)
    Fleming - NZ won't sack him but he might reckon 10 years and 3 WCs as captain are enough for one man.
    Captain I reckon could resign OR be sacked:
    Inzamam - if Pakistan do well I think he'll reitre with honour. If they don't....well Pakistan change captains a lot, don't they?
    Captains I reckon are most in danger of the sack (apart from Inzy) :
    Smith, Dravid: I just think if india or SA do badly (ie fail to reach semis) that they are the most likely to sack the captain (apart from Pakistan). Are there people in India who still want Sourav as captain?
    Captains I reckon are most likely to be still captain on April 28th 2008:
    Ponting - remember the last time the Aussies flopped in a WC? Thet still kept faith with Border. I reckon unless Australia lose to Holland and/or Scotland he'll survive.
    Jayawardne: the shortest serving of the "big 8" captains - I reckon the ICC's captain of the year will be OK unless SL are as crap as they were in 1999.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    John Davison to be canonized if Canada reach super 8s.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Captains I reckon will/could resign after WC:
    Lara - a dead cert to retire from ODIs IMO
    Vaughan - might do a Hussain and give up the ODI part of his job (wether a split captaincy would last any longer than in 2003 is another matter)
    Fleming - NZ won't sack him but he might reckon 10 years and 3 WCs as captain are enough for one man.
    Captain I reckon could resign OR be sacked:
    Inzamam - if Pakistan do well I think he'll reitre with honour. If they don't....well Pakistan change captains a lot, don't they?
    Captains I reckon are most in danger of the sack (apart from Inzy) :
    Smith, Dravid: I just think if india or SA do badly (ie fail to reach semis) that they are the most likely to sack the captain (apart from Pakistan). Are there people in India who still want Sourav as captain?
    Captains I reckon are most likely to be still captain on April 28th 2008:
    Ponting - remember the last time the Aussies flopped in a WC? Thet still kept faith with Border. I reckon unless Australia lose to Holland and/or Scotland he'll survive.
    Jayawardne: the shortest serving of the "big 8" captains - I reckon the ICC's captain of the year will be OK unless SL are as crap as they were in 1999.

Why on earth would India sack Dravid ? Unless India fail to make the super 8's which is unlikely.
    Even if India fail to make the semis, it would be very unlikely that he'd be sacked.
    SInce November 2005, he has 5 test wins to 4 test losses (against fellow top 8 nations - played more away than home as well) and he has more ODI wins than losses in that time period.

On top of that, I don't really see India as having any viable candidates for takeover.
    Zinedine Zidane is the greatest footballer ever !

Richard Dickinson - you little beauty !!!!

AUS - Ponting to stay
    SL - Jayawardene to stay
    RSA - SMith to stay
    PAK - Younis Khan to be new skipper
    WI - Personally reckon Lara will lead the Windies lads to England but Sarwan will soon be in the top job.
    India - Dravid to stay
    ENG - Vaughan to continue (altho I think neither he nor STrauss are good enough for ODI cricket)
    NZ - Vettori to captain (I think NZ cricket needs a new man at the helm - not to say Fleming wasn't a top captain, but I think it'll be good for the Kiwis to have fresh leadership).

"Fresh" has to be the most overrated thing in cricket.

Leadership doesn't go "stale"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    "Fresh" has to be the most overrated thing in cricket.

Leadership doesn't go "stale"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How can it?
    Because a new leader potentially brings different ideas, different thought processes to the table.
    WHat worked in the past may not necessarily work now......got it Dicko ?

But what has worked in the past may also work now...

Yeeeeeeeeees?

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But what has worked in the past may also work now...

Yeeeeeeeeees?
    I'll give you the Chappell-Hadlee Series, but can you define what has been going on in NZ cricket recently under Fleming, especially in Tests, as working?
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

"Working" isn't about results, that's not what I'm referring to.

It's unfair to judge a captain purely on the results of the team he's captaining, you can't do much if the players aren't that good (which, in Tests, NZ's haven't been for a little while).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information