• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib Asif Officially Ruled Out

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's not. Bad luck, sucker.
I think there may be some form of out-of-competition testing, as a WADA signatory (as the ICC is, I believe). Which means that you can have your door knocked on at home any day, any time, for a drug test.

Craig

World Traveller
I think there may be some form of out-of-competition testing, as a WADA signatory (as the ICC is, I believe). Which means that you can have your door knocked on at home any day, any time, for a drug test.
Yep and (not sure it applies in cricket but it probably would)in some cases athletes have to give them details of their whereabouts for the next three months, for example if they are on tour in England or New Zealand or are playing County Cricket or their domestic schelude (sp), have their mobiles/cell phones on all the time so they can be contacted if they are not at home when they come knocking etc.

If you (3rd person 'you') were a Civil Libertarian you would be outraged :mellow:

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
ICC hold out for evidence of injury to Pakistan pair

Shahid Hashmi in Karachi
Friday March 2, 2007
The Guardian

The International Cricket Council is insisting on its right to see medical evidence of injuries to Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif before it will allow Pakistan to call up replacements for the World Cup. Shoaib and Asif were ruled out yesterday, Shoaib after apparently struggling with a knee injury and Asif with an elbow knock, and when the squad flew out to the Caribbean the two men taking their places, Yasir Arafat and Mohammad Sami, were left behind to await ICC clearance.

Article continues
Both Akhtar and Asif tested positive for nandrolone in dope tests last year. Akhtar was banned for two years and Asif for one year in November, but the bans were controversially lifted on the grounds they did not take banned substances knowingly. The Pakistan Cricket Board has insisted that the two withdrawals are purely on the basis of fitness and have nothing to do with worries about being tested; the ICC said yesterday that there would be increased testing at the World Cup.

The PCB had tested its squad before the World Cup and all were cleared, but Shoaib and Asif missed the tests because they were in London for treatment. The PSB denied media claims that they had been privately tested to see whether nandrolone remained in their bodies. "Their injuries are so serious that had we played them it would have jeopardised their careers," Dr Naseem Ashraf, the PCB chairman, said.

Not everyone was convinced. The former Pakistan and Northamptonshire paceman, Sarfraz Nawaz, said: "The outside world is justified in doubting the fitness reason of their pull-out because, just two days before, the captain Inzamam-ul-Haq and [Pakistan coach Bob] Woolmer had said that both Shoaib and Asif have niggles and will recover in time. If you take that into account then it's confusing."

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It appears that this is going to get uglier than it already is.

Unfortunately, by dodging the first bullet and appearing to run away from further testing, the players have left themselves open to far harsher penalties than would otherwise apply to a first offence

IF the players merely have remnants of the drug in their system and have not engaged in further doping offences, I will be sorry for them if this turns out to be the case

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To an extent, feeling sorry for Asif and Akthar. Been bungled by their board, and could possibly cost them their whole career in a worst case scenario.

pup11

International Coach
If Asif's injury was so serious then why did he play in the final odi in SA(when also he was having that elbow injury).

I think it would really be interesting to see what medical evidence of the injuries PCB would produce in front of the ICC.

I hope the truth of this whole matter comes out in the open, but i doubt it.

haroon510

International 12th Man
if the injury is fake then they can get life ban from cricket which is worse than before. why the ban was lefted at the first place. i mean for asif it was only a year and half of it is already gone by now and shoaib well two years but it was much better than a life ban.
this thing is turning worse for these players than before. their cricket career is on the line here.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I read today how the PCB was angry about a "drug blitz" directed towards Akhtar and Asif. I agree with them, how outrageous that the ICC should test proven drug cheats more often than other players. How utterly ridiculous. FFS just don't take god damn drugs and there's no problem. How god damn hard can it be?

Craig

World Traveller
Maybe they shouldn't have used drugs then.
Yep I agree.

I read today how the PCB was angry about a "drug blitz" directed towards Akhtar and Asif. I agree with them, how outrageous that the ICC should test proven drug cheats more often than other players. How utterly ridiculous. FFS just don't take god damn drugs and there's no problem. How god damn hard can it be?
Of course they will test them more, to try and make an example out of them to prove that they are getting tough on drugs, just like a clean athlete/cricketer will get target tested more to prove that he is clean.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Clarifying, I don't feel sorry for them because they took drugs. It's the fact that through the inquiry/appeal and the PCB's decisions since then that means that what should have been a 1-2 year ban could see them never play cricket again. They made a mistake, but would have gotten a second chance - they could be denied that chance because of the muck-ups of their board.

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Of course they will test them more, to try and make an example out of them to prove that they are getting tough on drugs, just like a clean athlete/cricketer will get target tested more to prove that he is clean.
You do realise I was being sarcastic?

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Bari is easily the most defensive chief selector in Pak cricket history otherwise there are atleast 6-8 fast bowlers who are better then this Imraan's love child.
Its wasn't purely Bari's call, Inzi and Woolmer also wanted Sami.

I don't think Pak had much option though, they had to choose b/w the two pacer that have been playing in Pak team recently, i.e b/w Sami and Shahid Nazir, and unfortunately they choose the wrong player.

Their maybe 8 more players better than Sami, but you can't just bring in inexperianced youngster in a competition like WC.I would say that PCB selection commitee didn't do its homework well, they should have given young fast bowler chance in countless onedayers that were played in 2006.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Even if Akhtar and Asif are avoiding doping test, then even then practically ICC HAVEN"T asked then to undergo dope test to date , so to say that they can get life ban for avoiding dope test (for which they haven't even been called for till date) is completely absurd.

There will be legal battle in court b/w Wada and PCb and Asif and Akhtar might end up facing 2 year ban each, it can never be a life ban unless they take drug again.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
if the injury is fake then they can get life ban from cricket which is worse than before. .
Life ban for WHAT? It isn't Akhtar and Asif that have ruled themselves out with injury excuse, its the PCb selection commitee that have ruled them out (and its not that players have kept them in dark).Bari clearly said that the selection comittee decided that they don't want two unfit players for WC.

You can't ban a player not not being getting selected by selection committee.