• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the driving force of a World Champion team?

What is the driving force in a champion team

• Team'potential

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Consistency

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • The Captain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The road to the WC

• The coach and managment

• Peaking at the right time (form)

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Good mix of youth and experience

• Total voters

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Well, its hard to put a finger on it but if you had to put your finger on one thing that has the biggest effect on a team's performance which leads to a world cup victory then what would it be?

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I'd say it's between consistancy and form. To be high up in the ODI rankings consistancy is needed, but to win the World Cup, you have to be in good form, so between the two I'd pick form.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Consistency for me, but you need more than that.
IMO, that a team might be inconisitent but they can still win the WC...look at 1992 and 1999...both teams played very ordinarily but only good enough to make it to the final four..(that too after a desperate run in the end) and then they peaked and pulled mjor upset. (yes Pak was the Fav in the final in 1999 with 1.75-1 and Aus was 2.5-1)

pup11

International Coach
I think peaking at the right time is really important in a tournament like the world cup, its no good being in great form in the league and super 8 stages, and then running out of steam by the knock-out games like the semis or the finals(because having an off-day in the earlier games won't hurt as much as they would in the semis or finals). So its very important that a team should be at their best by the semis and the finals.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
A combination of things. Form, self-belief, pure class, etc.

The team that'll win the WC, I reckon, will be the one with a decent combination of the above, PLUS at least three different match-winners. It's no good having one player that can win you a match - that player isn't going to do it every time. You need a couple, each of which is capable of a matchwinning innings, a breathtaking bowling spell, etc. Hopefully, at least one of them will fire every match.

That's why Aus have been so good of late - their team's full of them :(

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Consistency. With (probably) the best eight teams in an all-play-all League it wil be hard for "hit and miss" teams like Pakistan.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Peaking at the right time, tho not always in the sense of form. A World Champion team lifts their game when it counts. It gets to a point where lesser teams almost accept an inevitability that even if they're in a close contest with the champion team the champion team will lift their level and win.

This is why a team like Australia can string together incredible runs, in reality it's just not going to happen that they're going to play well every game that comes along - but still the generate their own aura and belief that gets them through along with being able to raise their level.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think peaking at the right time is really important in a tournament like the world cup, its no good being in great form in the league and super 8 stages, and then running out of steam by the knock-out games like the semis or the finals
But it's also no good being knocked-out in the Super Eights...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ever heard the "A champion team will always beat a ..........." cliche Richard?
Yes, and I've never believed the presumption it is based on for a second.

IMO it's most accurate to say you don't get a champion team without champion players. Don't underestimate the negative impact a frictional undercurrent can have on a team of champions, but equally don't overestimate the positive impact that can be made on a group of average players by what's often referred to as "team spirit".

"Team spirit" for me was best summed-up by the guy who called it "the illusion of togetherness glimpsed in the aftermath of triumph" or something along those lines.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah Richard, its no good getting knocked out at the super 8 stage but its better if a team gradually improves game by game in a long tournament like the world cup so when they reach the semis and finals they are at their best(and certainly it helps if the team doesn't have any injury worries).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yes, but equally you can't "pace" yourself thinking "we'll peak when we reach the finals" because if you do such a thing you might very possibly find yourself facing the prospect of having failed to reach those finals...

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Oh, yes, but equally you can't "pace" yourself thinking "we'll peak when we reach the finals" because if you do such a thing you might very possibly find yourself facing the prospect of having failed to reach those finals...
A perfect scenario would be the 2003 aus campaign..cruising thru the tournament

but if you have to choose between the 2 then i will take 92's Pakistan over 83's WI