• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What can Inspire Pakistan now?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You clearly have little experience of Pakistani domestic cricket.

In some areas, it's very, very far from high level at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You clearly have little experience of Pakistani domestic cricket.

In some areas, it's very, very far from high level at all.
But that it's the gateway to international cricket, essentially, means that it requires some level of professionalism. And stating that Pakistani cricket lacks that quality is no excuse for Mohammad Asif doing so. It's just endorsing the reasons for the problems, and to an extent, justifying the symptoms of it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But that it's the gateway to international cricket, essentially, means that it requires some level of professionalism. And stating that Pakistani cricket lacks that quality is no excuse for Mohammad Asif doing so. It's just endorsing the reasons for the problems, and to an extent, justifying the symptoms of it.
None of which I was shirking from - simply saying that you can hardly single-out Mohammad Asif for simply exhibiting what is common.

Until 2005\06, all Asif was was one of those middling domestic Pakistani cricketers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He has been playing at a high level since 2000 or so - as a professional cricketer, he can't claim to be ignorant of something fundamental to his career - as an excuse it just doesn't work.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... he can and has, whether such a claim is acceptible is the question.

I do think people need to have at least some idea of how shambolic Pakistani domestic cricket CAN be (certainly not always is) before getting too high-and-mighty about "it's no excuse" though.

Ignorance is bliss.

You can't expect someone to take account of something no-one's ever even told him about, something he is completely unaware of.

We don't know for certain that this is the case with Asif but I certainly don't think it's as impossible as some do.

Mr Mxyzptlk

You can't expect someone to take account of something no-one's ever even told him about, something he is completely unaware of.
Totally irresponsible, and as you semi-alluded to earlier on, it's an unacceptable excuse at this level of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So one should be responsible for something that's never once come-up in their daily life?

Mr Mxyzptlk

So one should be responsible for something that's never once come-up in their daily life?
Yes. Because when you become a pro sportsman, you have new responsibilities. I swear I've mentioned this several times before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But who is to tell you that you have acquired these responsibilities?

What if you're a straightforward country lad who, in all honesty, doesn't have the foggiest about life in the big-time?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What if you're a straightforward country lad who, in all honesty, doesn't have the foggiest about life in the big-time?
You have a duty to know such things.

Ignorance is not a valid excuse, no matter how much you paint it that he's completely naive.

He's been playing the game for 6 years, not 6 weeks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's probably been playing it for a lot more than that - most cricketers who make it to international level tend to start at 3, 4, 5 years old or so. So I'd guess he'd have been playing it for 20 years at least.

But only once he's around people who are aware of such a thing can he be expected to be aware of it himself. Unless someone tells you about something, you don't find-out about it.

And I seriously think if you expect discussion of such a thing to be commonplace in Pakistani domestic cricket, you're expecting a lot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think it's particularly relevent whether he knew the rules or not. Once you become a professional sportsman, it's your responsibility to find out the rules. If no-one tells you, then ask, or look it up. Ignorance is no excuse - whether he is truly ignorant or not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No-one in cricket can possibly know every single thing that is relevant to the govornance of the game. Certainly not guys from rural Pakistan.

To some people, things like performance-enhancing drugs just don't come into life. If they should be finding-out about that, I don't see where you draw the line and say you do\don't need to worry about this\that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No-one in cricket can possibly know every single thing that is relevant to the govornance of the game. Certainly not guys from rural Pakistan.

To some people, things like performance-enhancing drugs just don't come into life. If they should be finding-out about that, I don't see where you draw the line and say you do\don't need to worry about this\that.
If you disobide by the laws of the game, you should be punished. It's your responsibility to find out what said laws are.