• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentators for the World Cup?

thierry henry

International Coach
People like Kerry Packer, marketers and the people who run the TV companies have obviously decided that to maximise ratings it's best to have ex-players commentating. Can you think of any non-ex-cricketers in NZ you would rather have calling the game in NZ? I can't.

Correct. People (like you) like to hear ex-players. imo your reasons for wanting to hear ex-players are pretty damn stupid. Rather like the reasons why ppl buy crappy music, crappy books, watch crappy movies...and so on, and so forth.

Actually no I can't think of any non-ex cricketers because we've never had the chance to hear any! They should audition and interview for commentary positions just like they do for any other TV role, and the best COMMENTATORS should get the position. I daresay there wouldn't be many (any?) ex-cricketers in the mix.

Fiery

Banned
Correct. People (like you) like to hear ex-players. imo your reasons for wanting to hear ex-players are pretty damn stupid. Rather like the reasons why ppl buy crappy music, crappy books, watch crappy movies...and so on, and so forth.

Actually no I can't think of any non-ex cricketers because we've never had the chance to hear any! They should audition and interview for commentary positions just like they do for any other TV role, and the best COMMENTATORS should get the position. I daresay there wouldn't be many (any?) ex-cricketers in the mix.
mmm...not sure about your Commentary Idol idea mate. Not so sure I would like cricket commentary's answer to Ben Lummis on air tbh. I'm happy with ex-players as commentators and if that makes me "pretty damn stupid" in your eyes thierry then I can live with that :happy:

Fiery

Banned
Did Harsha Bhogle play int'l cricket?
Dunno but I've always been Harsh'on Bogans. Actually, there are some fairly decent commentators who have never been int'l cricketers, Grant Nisbett, Henry Blofeld, Mark Nicholas off the top off my head (just to contradict my own theory).

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Yep, thierry henry pretty spot on here. The best commentators, especially from AFL are the ones to have never really played the game. Bruce McAvaney, Drew Morphett, Tim Lane, Dennis Cometti have never played the football at the highest level, yet they wipe the floor with any mumbling and stuttering ex-stars. That's because they're professionals, they're journalists and have spent their career doing what they do. They're not big name signings, they're not stars, yet they **** on everyone else from a fair distance. Give me career journos in cricket over past stars any day of the week. And even the obvious exception of Benaud isn't really an exception as he didn't slide right into things, he went and did a BBC course and worked his way up, from what I've read.

Anyways, thierry henry, gun poster for mine.

Fiery

Banned
Yep, thierry henry pretty spot on here. The best commentators, especially from AFL are the ones to have never really played the game. Bruce McAvaney, Drew Morphett, Tim Lane, Dennis Cometti have never played the football at the highest level, yet they wipe the floor with any mumbling and stuttering ex-stars. That's because they're professionals, they're journalists and have spent their career doing what they do. They're not big name signings, they're not stars, yet they **** on everyone else from a fair distance. Give me career journos in cricket over past stars any day of the week. And even the obvious exception of Benaud isn't really an exception as he didn't slide right into things, he went and did a BBC course and worked his way up, from what I've read.

Anyways, thierry henry, gun poster for mine.
A bit unfair to liken the intellects of ex-cricketers to ex-footy players I reckon...huge disparity there imo (in general)

pasag

RTDAS
A bit unfair to liken the intellects of ex-cricketers to ex-footy players I reckon...huge disparity there imo (in general)
Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't you. But the likes of Ian Healy dictate otherwise.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Nah, Healy is there long term, imo. Unfortunately.
What makes you think that, pasag? If the negative feedback on his work on this forum alone is anything to go by then his employees must be concerned. Not sure if the general public, those less fond of the game than people who love it enough to visit a cricket forum, are quite as critical though. I suppose it depends on whether they see him as having appeal to those people but it's pretty obvious most cricket fans can take him or leave him...and preferably leave him.

pasag

RTDAS
What makes you think that, pasag? If the negative feedback on his work on this forum alone is anything to go by then his employees must be concerned. Not sure if the general public, those less fond of the game than people who love it enough to visit a cricket forum, are quite as critical though. I suppose it depends on whether they see him as having appeal to those people but it's pretty obvious most cricket fans can take him or leave him...and preferably leave him.
Haha, firstly Nine works in mysterious ways. I've never seen them respond to negative feedback, ever. For example every week in The Age in the Green Guide section, you see heaps and heaps of letters blasting Nine for how they mistreat shows (show them out of order, run them hours late etc). You would think that feedback would have any effect. But it doesn't. And you see the letters every week without fail.

But that's all besides the point, Healy is there for his enthusiasm and everyday man attitude. He's there to attract viewers and make cricket more accessible for them. Ie he is there to dumb it down. He's the commentating version of twenty20 cricket. It's quite clear that Nine and the commentators aren't there for the cricket tragics (ie 95% of those on this forum), they're there for the populous and from what I know, the populous have no problem with Healy. And that's it at the end of the day really, it sucks, but that's life.

I honestly think he'll be there for another 10+ years. Lawry, Greig (and maybe Chappell) are on the way out within the next few years though.

thierry henry

International Coach
mmm...not sure about your Commentary Idol idea mate. Not so sure I would like cricket commentary's answer to Ben Lummis on air tbh. I'm happy with ex-players as commentators and if that makes me "pretty damn stupid" in your eyes thierry then I can live with that :happy:
When did I say anything about commentary idol? Seriously Fiery, when you applied for your job, did you get picked because you were famous or had a big reputation in a vaguely related field?? No, I'll bet you were interviewed first, right (of course, I don't actually know what you do for a living)?

All I'm saying is you pick the best ppl for the commentary job based on relevant criteria such as skill as an entertainer/television presenter/speaker in general, and perhaps most importantly, proven cricket knowledge. Pretty basic stuff.

Blaze

Banned
Healy is clearly there long term. He does all the player interviews for a start, and was commentating on pretty much every game all summer.

He is probably a decent guy, but ffs...

Fiery

Banned
When did I say anything about commentary idol? Seriously Fiery, when you applied for your job, did you get picked because you were famous or had a big reputation in a vaguely related field?? No, I'll bet you were interviewed first, right (of course, I don't actually know what you do for a living)?

All I'm saying is you pick the best ppl for the commentary job based on relevant criteria such as skill as an entertainer/television presenter/speaker in general, and perhaps most importantly, proven cricket knowledge. Pretty basic stuff.
I know, I'm just trying to debate here. Seriously thierry henry, are you ever able to chat to people without using that smug, self-satisfied, all-knowing tone that you use, interlacing your arguments with snide remarks and put-downs like "Pretty basic stuff" and "pretty damn stupid"? It's a little annoying and disrespectful imo, particularly coming from someone 15 years younger. I'm not sure if you reserve it just for me but can you please try to cut it out.

thierry henry

International Coach
I know, I'm just trying to debate here. Seriously thierry henry, are you ever able to chat to people without using that smug, self-satisfied, all-knowing tone that you use, interlacing your arguments with snide remarks and put-downs like "Pretty basic stuff" and "pretty damn stupid"? It's a little annoying and disrespectful imo, particularly coming from someone 15 years younger. I'm not sure if you reserve it just for me but can you please try to cut it out.
lol, it's only because you're doing the same thing, and you must know it. Only difference is your smugness seems to revolve entirely around the fact that you're 36 years old, as if that means something.

Fiery

Banned
lol, it's only because you're doing the same thing, and you must know it. Only difference is your smugness seems to revolve entirely around the fact that you're 36 years old, as if that means something.
I'll just put it down to my 17-21 year old theory again :dry:

Fiery

Banned
btw, have you learnt anything in the past 36 years apart from how to remember your own age?
Don't be a smartass th. You really didn't like that "Still live with your Dad?" comment did you mate? C'mon, seriously, you're 21 now, when I was your age I had been flatting for 4 years and had a degree. Time to leave the nest fella, you might meet more people...maybe even a girl. I've seen your photo on the "What Do You Look Like II" thread. You could join a gym...lose some of that puppy-fat.

Last edited: