• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumble to retire from ODIS after the World Cup

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What is the point in announcing this at the eve of the world cup ? Has he suddenly realized (after getting into the WC squad) that he is not going any younger. Really it is so selfish of him to do such a thing. He simply robbed Powar of spot in the WC squad.

By making this announcement, He is not going to get my sympathy or respect. He is not doing team India or Indian fans any favor. He shouldn't be there in the WC team, but thanks to his buddy Dravid, he is there and now he is trying to justify his selection and gain some sympathy. I hope he does well though.

JaiMurugan

Cricket Spectator
What is the point in announcing this at the eve of the world cup ? Has he suddenly realized (after getting into the WC squad) that he is not going any younger. Really it is so selfish of him to do such a thing. He simply robbed Powar of spot in the WC squad.

By making this announcement, He is not going to get my sympathy or respect. He is not doing team India or Indian fans any favor. He shouldn't be there in the WC team, but thanks to his buddy Dravid, he is there and now he is trying to justify his selection and gain some sympathy. I hope he does well though.

I think it was always on the cards that Kumble was going to quit after the WC - just that it had never come out publicly before.
ANd I don't see what this announcement has to do with Powar - yes Powar should have been in the team (IMO) but you can hardly blame KUmble for that - it was a call made by Dravid and the selectors and they have to live withe consequences.

adharcric

International Coach

Don't blame Kumble. Blame the selectors for giving Powar a decent (but not fair enough) run and then opting for Kumble at the last moment. Anyways, I'm glad to hear this from Kumble. He should focus on tests and let Powar (and eventually Chawla) don the mantle in the one-day game (post-WC).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am of the opinion that Kumble should never have been recalled to the ODI side and didn't deserve to go to the World Cup ahead of Ramesh Powar, but still it's good to see Kumble obviously has the teams best interests at heart and he won't try and hold on to his spot in the ODI team forever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thanks for the memories Kumble, used to be a tremendous ODI bowler back in the days.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble was a fantastic ODI bowler... until 1999\2000.

Since then, he's been being picked on past performance. And it's a shame, because ITE his record doesn't do justice to what a brilliant bowler he was 1989\90-1999.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am of the opinion that Kumble should never have been recalled to the ODI side and didn't deserve to go to the World Cup ahead of Ramesh Powar, but still it's good to see Kumble obviously has the teams best interests at heart and he won't try and hold on to his spot in the ODI team forever.
If he had his team's best interests at heart, he would have retired before the World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe he'd have retired after WC99, realising that he was no longer the bowler he had been.

Or perhaps that's unfair.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not really, the experience factor will be vital at this World Cup with such a young bowling attack around him.
His bowling is literally ineffective in ODIs...His experience isn't hlping him, how can it help others ?

PATRIOTIC

Cricket Spectator
It is a very unfortunate truth that both Pakistani and Indian teams are the most defensive teams in the world. Both teams dont have courage to experiment with new talent. Look at Shane Warne, he quit at a stage when is at his best when it comes to his bowling and batting. If Shane was a Pakistani or Indian players, as a spinner they might have pushed him to play until the age of 50, or atleast he would have tried to.

Look at Indian, they went back to all old gaurds, and pushed out the youth/energetic fielders in Raina, Kaif etc.