Thread: Kumble to retire from ODIS after the World Cup

Cricket Spectator

Kumble to retire from ODIS after the World Cup

http://www.hindu.com/2007/02/25/stor...2512872100.htm

Can't say that it was a huge surpise......and I think it's a good decision....several India 'stars' have in the past played on well past their use by date.

What is the point in announcing this at the eve of the world cup ? Has he suddenly realized (after getting into the WC squad) that he is not going any younger. Really it is so selfish of him to do such a thing. He simply robbed Powar of spot in the WC squad.

By making this announcement, He is not going to get my sympathy or respect. He is not doing team India or Indian fans any favor. He shouldn't be there in the WC team, but thanks to his buddy Dravid, he is there and now he is trying to justify his selection and gain some sympathy. I hope he does well though.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    What is the point in announcing this at the eve of the world cup ? Has he suddenly realized (after getting into the WC squad) that he is not going any younger. Really it is so selfish of him to do such a thing. He simply robbed Powar of spot in the WC squad.

By making this announcement, He is not going to get my sympathy or respect. He is not doing team India or Indian fans any favor. He shouldn't be there in the WC team, but thanks to his buddy Dravid, he is there and now he is trying to justify his selection and gain some sympathy. I hope he does well though.

I think it was always on the cards that Kumble was going to quit after the WC - just that it had never come out publicly before.
    ANd I don't see what this announcement has to do with Powar - yes Powar should have been in the team (IMO) but you can hardly blame KUmble for that - it was a call made by Dravid and the selectors and they have to live withe consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post

Don't blame Kumble. Blame the selectors for giving Powar a decent (but not fair enough) run and then opting for Kumble at the last moment. Anyways, I'm glad to hear this from Kumble. He should focus on tests and let Powar (and eventually Chawla) don the mantle in the one-day game (post-WC).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I am of the opinion that Kumble should never have been recalled to the ODI side and didn't deserve to go to the World Cup ahead of Ramesh Powar, but still it's good to see Kumble obviously has the teams best interests at heart and he won't try and hold on to his spot in the ODI team forever.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Thanks for the memories Kumble, used to be a tremendous ODI bowler back in the days.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Kumble was a fantastic ODI bowler... until 1999\2000.

Since then, he's been being picked on past performance. And it's a shame, because ITE his record doesn't do justice to what a brilliant bowler he was 1989\90-1999.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I am of the opinion that Kumble should never have been recalled to the ODI side and didn't deserve to go to the World Cup ahead of Ramesh Powar, but still it's good to see Kumble obviously has the teams best interests at heart and he won't try and hold on to his spot in the ODI team forever.
    If he had his team's best interests at heart, he would have retired before the World Cup.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Maybe he'd have retired after WC99, realising that he was no longer the bowler he had been.

Or perhaps that's unfair.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    If he had his team's best interests at heart, he would have retired before the World Cup.
    Not really, the experience factor will be vital at this World Cup with such a young bowling attack around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out..I dont why it is so hard for some people to notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Not really, the experience factor will be vital at this World Cup with such a young bowling attack around him.
    His bowling is literally ineffective in ODIs...His experience isn't hlping him, how can it help others ?

Cricket Spectator
    It is a very unfortunate truth that both Pakistani and Indian teams are the most defensive teams in the world. Both teams dont have courage to experiment with new talent. Look at Shane Warne, he quit at a stage when is at his best when it comes to his bowling and batting. If Shane was a Pakistani or Indian players, as a spinner they might have pushed him to play until the age of 50, or atleast he would have tried to.

Look at Indian, they went back to all old gaurds, and pushed out the youth/energetic fielders in Raina, Kaif etc.

Err... what?

Ever heard of "picking your best players"?

Thread Information