• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Mr World Cup?

Who is the best Player in World Cup History

• Viv Richards

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Imran Khan

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • G Mcrgrath

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • S Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Tendulkar with 11 votes..well patriotism is driving this poll...

It will be ridiculous to call somone Mr World Cup when he hasnt won any.

Secondly his high average is due to the 5 Big hundreds he has scored against minnows in WC matches...2 Against zimbabwe, 1 against Kenya and 1 against Naimbia and Holland respectivley...While Richards played when there was only one minnow in the tournament and scored heavily in the 1979 final 168* and took 2 wickets to become the man of the match...on the other hand sachin gotta duck in his only WC final

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Secondly his high average is due to the 5 Big hundreds he has scored against minnows in WC matches...2 Against zimbabwe, 1 against Kenya and 1 against Naimbia and Holland respectivley...While Richards played when there was only one minnow in the tournament and scored heavily in the 1979 final 168* and took 2 wickets to become the man of the match...on the other hand sachin gotta duck in his only WC final
Good post. No doubt Sachin has been great in WCs but 'Mr World Cup'? :blink:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course it does. No truly great innings can be one that involved a let-off. It must be played due to the batsman's skill alone.
Nonsense!

Batsman A smashes a ball off the middle of the bat and the fieldsman drops it. Other than that, every ball hits the middle

Batsman B plays and misses at 2 balls per over but is never good enough to get an edge.

Both score the same amount of runs

By your criteria, batsman b has played better

Ask anyone that has ever played the game who played the better innings and the answer will always be the same - batsman A

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dont be an Idiot and take you stupid animosity to a pakistani forum. There will be lot of people willing to take your theory. I am an Indian fan and I didn't vote for Tendulkar, so is Jono. Just because Tendulkar is winning doesn't mean it is driven by patriotism you idiot.

Why Not ?

Secondly his high average is due to the 5 Big hundreds he has scored against minnows in WC matches...2 Against zimbabwe, 1 against Kenya and 1 against Naimbia and Holland respectivley...
Dont be a typical troll...at least be truthful..Tendulkar scored a century against Holland ?

While Richards played when there was only one minnow in the tournament and scored heavily in the 1979 final 168* and took 2 wickets to become the man of the match...on the other hand sachin gotta duck in his only WC final
And who took his team to FINALS almost single handedly ? I think Sachin played a bigger role than Richards in taking his team to Finals and hence he is as entitled to be nominated in this poll as anyone else.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Dont be an Idiot and take you stupid animosity to a pakistani forum. There will be lot of people willing to take your theory. I am an Indian fan and I didn't vote for Tendulkar, so is Jono. Just because Tendulkar is winning doesn't mean it is driven by patriotism you idiot.

Why Not ?

Dont be a typical troll...at least be truthful..Tendulkar scored a century against Holland ?

And who took his team to FINALS almost single handedly ? I think Sachin played a bigger role than Richards in taking his team to Finals and hence he is as entitled to be nominated in this poll as anyone else.
ok you idiot stop cursing...I made this poll and i put sachin in there myslf to have a decent argument.....not to have idiots like you bad mouthing me.

So if you can chat in a decent manner,go on...if you cant, i d be happy if you ignore my threads and posts.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
So are you saying Gooch's 333 and Hutton's 364 aren't great innings because in both cases the opposistion WK dropped them? Its one thing getting a second chance, it is quite another to take advantage of the situation. And if the umpire makes a mistake? if I remember right England thought they had got Lara cheaply early on in his 400*

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For Crowe, he averaged 55 in WC, but with one century. Klussener averaged an amazing 124 in 14 WC matches, but only three fifties and no centuries.

I would certainly consider Crowe especially as a possibly a worthy candidate. Why not?

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In World Cups the only non-minnow teams he averages above 40 against are Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Voting for him as Mr World Cup is an absolute joke.

Tendulkar's average against the top 8 sides is just under 46, he's not won a World Cup and he's not done anything spectacular in a knock-out situation.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The other candidate - Wasim Akram - averages 30+ vs every non-minnow country except Australia, ZIM and NZ. So it has to be Viv then.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
In World Cups the only non-minnow teams he averages above 40 against are Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Voting for him as Mr World Cup is an absolute joke.
thanks for supporting the argument. For me its case closed...firstly its riduclous to call somone MR World cup when he has'nt won any and has played in only 1 finals...so its not like out of the 4 world cup he has played he has been in the final 3 times...

From the given choices, i think Viv is the best batsman ever to play in a world cup...scoring big in imp matches.

But i voted Imran.
1) because he has the best avg for any bowler ever bowled in a WC..taking 34 wkts at 19
2) did a decent hand with his bat too scoring 666 runs at 35
3) He won the world cup as a captain and his leadership in the tournament is still regarded as top notch

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
3) He won the world cup as a captain and his leadership in the tournament is still regarded as top notch
Ask Ramiz Raja ?

In any case..your whole Poll is Bogus if you use the above acriteria, because Border and Kapil need to be there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
thanks for supporting the argument. For me its case closed...firstly its riduclous to call somone MR World cup when he has'nt won any and has played in only 1 finals...so its not like out of the 4 world cup he has played he has been in the final 3 times...
Two things :-

1. If it is so ridiculous to call Someone Mr. World Cup, then why include him in the poll ?

2. If you have got Scaly to support your case, then it means that you have no case.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ok you idiot stop cursing...I made this poll and i put sachin in there myslf to have a decent argument.....not to have idiots like you bad mouthing me.
Let's see ...

First of all you include Tendulkar in this poll then start ridiculing everyone who picks Tendulkar, then start accusing Indians of voting in his favor and that being the only reason for him being ahead and then you expect me to have a decent argument ?

So if you can chat in a decent manner,go on...if you cant, i d be happy if you ignore my threads and posts.
I have seen enough Indian/Pakistani lowlife a holes like you who have nothing but their stupid animosity in your brainwashed minds and I can recognize you lot from the word go.

You should be sent to the same place where Nehrafan is right now.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Two things :-

1. If it is so ridiculous to call Someone Mr. World Cup, then why include him in the poll ?

2. If you have got Scaly to support your case, then it means that you have no case.
i put in the poll because i knew that even though i found it ridculous there might be others (atleast13 ) who might think otherwise and i wanted to listen to thier point of view...

so it would be better if you support your argument by talking about that player and his performance instead of commenting on me

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Let's see ...

First of all you include Tendulkar in this poll then start ridiculing everyone who picks Tendulkar, then start accusing Indians of voting in his favor and that being the only reason for him being ahead and then you expect me to have a decent argument ?

I have seen enough Indian/Pakistani lowlife a holes like you who have nothing but their stupid animosity in your brainwashed minds and I can recognize you lot from the word go.

You should be sent to the same place where Nehrafan is right now.

ok dude..until you clean up your act..i have one word for you..AVOID

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i put in the poll because i knew that even though i found it ridculous there might be others (atleast13 ) who might think otherwise and i wanted to listen to thier point of view...
But you are not really listening to their point of view. You are simply calling their PoV as ridiculous and that it is driven by nationalistic bias.

so it would be better if you support your argument by talking about that player and his performance instead of commenting on me
There is no need for me to support my argument in favor of Tendulkar because IMO he isn't Mr. World Cup, I voted for ViV. Wasim would have been my second Choice, followed by Tendulkar.