• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can an Asian team win the '007 WC ??

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
After several setbacks to Aus team, several have ruled Aus out as the fav's .Mark Waugh think that India and Pak has th best chance to win the cup, he rates NZ and SA highly but for some reason don't think that they can actually win it. Sir Sobers also think that an Asian team is capable of winning the cup especially when the WI pitches are said to be just like the one found in Subcontinent.De Silva thinks that SL are best placed to win the cup for second time around

Do you think an Asian team can actually win the WC? if so, which team you think has the best chance out of all the three ?

Laurrz

International Debutant
of course they can

and id say India has the best of the 3 because they are IMO more consistent than the other two

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I read Waugh's article, and he reckons India or Pakistan are the biggest thread to Australia. I personally think of the asian sides that S.L are the best bet

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I read Waugh's article, and he reckons India or Pakistan are the biggest thread to Australia. I personally think of the asian sides that S.L are the best bet

SL are a good bet IMO. Key is prolly whether their bowlers other than Vaas and Murali can peform to a high standards ?

Pakistan are dangerous - would be unwise to write them off but I doubt they can go all the way.

INdia are massive underachievers for mine - despite having players of the calibre of Tendulkar, Sehwag, Ganguly, Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Harbhajan, Kumble and Munaf Patel, they haven't won a one-day tournament since Natwest 2002. They are extremely brittle mentally and I think this is probably the biggest barrier they need to overcome.
THey have the technical ability to win it IMO but do they have the ability to perform when it really matters ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, well England can win it so India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka certainly can...

IMO SL are the best bet of the three.

Zinzan

Err, well England can win it so India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka certainly can...

IMO SL are the best bet of the three.
I honestly wouldn't rule any of the top 8 teams out completely. Like you SL are the best bet for mine

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Agreed. I'd have SL as the favorites out of the subcontinent camp. But its wide open this year even if SA/Aus are two favorites.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be backing India out of the sub-continental teams if I was picking somebody to take out the title, if they get their team selection right then I think they could go all the way.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dont think that either India or Pakistan have the bowling or fielding to win it

SL if any of those three

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Munaf,Santh, Khan,Kumble and Harb are all wkt taking bowlers, i think as far as bowling is concerned India is right up there with ANY team baring SA .

Aus without Lee,Jason & Warne , a "well past best but still somewhat effective McGrath" and other inexperianced blokes are certainly much weaker in bowling department than India.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, I'd bet on Sri Lanka as well. They don't choke in finals as much as Pakistan and India do and they certainly have the right elements to win the World Cup.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Munaf,Santh, Khan,Kumble and Harb are all wkt taking bowlers, i think as far as bowling is concerned India is right up there with ANY team baring SA .
Kumble hasn't been a wicket-taking ODI bowler for years. Harbhajan hasn't been one for months. Sreesanth has done nothing to suggest that he's a good ODI bowler. Over-rated much?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Nahh, lot's of people here on CW are over-rating the Lankans IMO. They are a good side, a good outfit, however, they don't have the fire power and the talent (IMHO) to go on and win the WC.

I'll, honestly, be surprised if they even make the semis. And you can quote me on that.