• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee out of the world cup, its confirmed now!!!

pup11

International Coach
Really bad news for the aussies Brett lee is out of the world cup, it would take 3 months for him to recover and it effectively finishes any chance of lee's participation at any stage of the world cup. The bad news doesn't end there, Stuart Clark is the confirmed replacement for lee.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
terrible news for Lee but good that its been sorted now rather than waiting right up until the start of the cup. Clark really has a point to prove and should be get sufficent game time he'll do well, he knows he has to or he wont play ODI's again.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Significant loss, but at least there's no question marks over it any more. Hopefully Clark will perform when needed.

Will be an interesting battle to see which of Johnson, Tait and Clark becomes the third seamer in the big matches. I imagine this ends the debate over Hogg's selection too.

Craig

World Traveller
McGrath aside this potential bowling line-up will leak runs on a good wicket and the batsmen are in that frame of mine.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Huge blow that. Now that Lee is out, it might be Clark who will accompany McGrath and Bracken.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tait's role now become more critical as he is the only bowler with real pace firepower amongst the squad

Johnners

We'll miss him more than Symonds imo (whilst Symmo is still injured that is). A huge blow all the same, and Clark has some mighty shoes to fill, shoes i quite frankly don't think he'll be capable of filling in the ODI format. Only time will tell i guess

pasag

RTDAS
Australia falling apart at the seams. At least it levels the playing field
Yeah but the World Cup should be about the best against the best. Injuries to star players hurts the credibility of the tournament and noone wants that.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn

not only a big blow for Australia but the main tournament itself...

this screws us up

look at our potential bowling attack v Scotland
McGrath, Bracken, Clark/Tait/Johnson, Hogg, Watson

i dont like it.... tbh i rather Hilfy than those 3 ...

but mayb go with 4 fast bowlers and ditch Hogg?

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Look guys i am really starting to worry about the experience factor of the aussie fast bowlers, when the likes of McCullum and McMillan went after them they had no answers to that, so just imagine if someone like a jayasuriya, tendulkar,lara, or any other better batsman gets going against them what would they do.
In key moments the lack of experience might show within the bowling, thats a big concern for me.

pup11

International Coach
For me Tait is the key he has got the firepower to trouble the best batsmen, just let him be ultra-aggressive and don't worry about the runs he gives (the other bowlers would have to keep a check on their economy though to compliment Tait). Would have to use Hogg also as a wicket-taking option in the middle overs therefore having a slip or a short-leg for him would help him put pressure on the batsmen.

andyc

Yeah, that's definitely not we wanted. Hogg will find himself playing most games now, if nothing because of the fact that he can bat. A tail of Bracken-Clark/Tait/Johnson-Clark/Tait/Johnson-McGrath is seriously long otherwise.

Laurrz

International Debutant
good point andyc, never thought of that
its a shame coz Hogg and Binger were such good tailenders.. in the WC ur tail is bound to be tested...

btw what do u guys think should be the attack against Scotland? its a tough one

McGrath, Bracken, Tait/Johnson/Clark, Hogg, Watson/Clarke

i think id go with Tait because minnows would hav no idea aginst him and he can hav momentum/rhythm/confidence coming into the bigger games v RSA and super 8's

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wow - its all going very very well, don't you think.

When somebody asked hypothetically a few months ago whether we'd prefer to take the Ashes back in a clean sweep if it meant we lost the World Cup, I didn't mean to jinx it by saying "yes".

pup11

International Coach
Johnson could hit the ball long though so he could be useful at the tail end , anyways i have also started to believe that there is something like ashes jinx, aussie are also struggling the same way england did after winning the ashes in 05. Australia too has injury woes similar to the ones england had in 05 after winning the ashes.
Can this only be pure coincidence?