• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee out of the world cup, its confirmed now!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And that's terrible for a strike bowler. 8-)
How does being a bowler of short spells excuse that? It's a poor economy-rate - there's no two ways about that. That doesn't mean he's unworthy of a place in the side, no, because there is more to one-day bowling than pure economy, but there's no two ways about the fact that Brett Lee's economy-rate is poor.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If they had someone who could bowl economically, they'd not be in any trouble. But Tait, Johnson, Watson, Hogg et al can't. Nor can they take wickets.

(NO, THAT CHANGING IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE SO DON'T ANYONE EVEN START THERE!!!!!!!!!!)
The fact is that Lee takes wickets far more consistently than any of the bowlers you named there, so he shouldn't be the one being criticized. If the other bowlers are going for runs and not taking wickets, and Brett Lee is going for runs and taking wickets, why is it Lee who you decided to come down on? He's the one who's doing something right. Surely it should be everybody-but-Lee who you tackle.

Mr Mxyzptlk

How does being a bowler of short spells excuse that? It's a poor economy-rate - there's no two ways about that. That doesn't mean he's unworthy of a place in the side, no, because there is more to one-day bowling than pure economy, but there's no two ways about the fact that Brett Lee's economy-rate is poor.
It's a good economy rate for a strike bowler in this day and age. Lee's role in the side is to take wickets primarily.

Think context, Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact is that Lee takes wickets far more consistently than any of the bowlers you named there, so he shouldn't be the one being criticized. If the other bowlers are going for runs and not taking wickets, and Brett Lee is going for runs and taking wickets, why is it Lee who you decided to come down on? He's the one who's doing something right. Surely it should be everybody-but-Lee who you tackle.
Have I even mentioned any of them here? No. Lee is the only subject of conversation. Yes, those other 4 are all far worse, but I haven't had any reason to mention their cases, have I?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a good economy rate for a strike bowler in this day and age. Lee's role in the side is to take wickets primarily.

Think context, Richard.
What is more accurate to say IMO is "a poor economy-rate can be forgiven for a bowler who takes that many wickets".

Mr Mxyzptlk

Have I even mentioned any of them here? No. Lee is the only subject of conversation. Yes, those other 4 are all far worse, but I haven't had any reason to mention their cases, have I?
You're criticizing Lee - the strike bowler - for having a poor economy rate, when his economy rate is what is to be expected from a bowler striking so often. And then you brought Tait, Johnson, Hogg et al into the discussion stating that if they did their jobs, Lee wouldn't be a problem. I really don't see how Lee is a problem at all. Yes, there are games when he's totally off, but for the large part I really don't see a problem with my strike bowler taking 2-3 wickets for less than 50. Simply because he has substandard bowling all around him shouldn't take away from his achievements as a strike bowler.

How the hell is an economy rate of 4.8 poor when a bowler is taking wickets every 29 balls? Contrary to your beliefs, wickets are very important in ODI cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're criticizing Lee - the strike bowler - for having a poor economy rate, when his economy rate is what is to be expected from a bowler striking so often. And then you brought Tait, Johnson, Hogg et al into the discussion stating that if they did their jobs, Lee wouldn't be a problem. I really don't see how Lee is a problem at all. Yes, there are games when he's totally off, but for the large part I really don't see a problem with my strike bowler taking 2-3 wickets for less than 50. Simply because he has substandard bowling all around him shouldn't take away from his achievements as a strike bowler.

How the hell is an economy rate of 4.8 poor when a bowler is taking wickets every 29 balls? Contrary to your beliefs, wickets are very important in ODI cricket.
Except that that's not how it works and you know it.

Rare is the bowler who regularly goes for a few and takes wickets the time. Lee's case is no different. Usually when he's taking wickets he's also bowling economically. And usually when he's being caned he's not taking wickets (or taking them with rubbish deliveries).

And 10-60-4 is a poor spell IMO.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Huge blow for australia. We were already struggling with our ODI wicket taking ability and now we lose our best wicket taker.
I dont know about you guys but I can really imagine Clarke getting slapped around all over the place this world cup on those pitches and grounds.

Mr Mxyzptlk

And 10-60-4 is a poor spell IMO.
Context usually dictates that that's quite an effective spell, ignoring of course that Lee usually goes for less than 60 runs when taking wickets. The Australian bowling attack also looks far more potent when he's taking wickets... for some... strange... reason...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say it usually dictates that it's pretty poor - because the rest of the attack are going to have to take the rest of the wickets and bowl the oppo out.

Lee, as I said, usually goes for not-that-many or not-many when he bowls a spell where he gets wickets.

And the Australian attack looks pretty good in most circumstances, you might note... it's because they've had rather a lot of good bowlers for quite some time.

Zinzan

Dude...

http://eap.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BOWLING/ODI_BOWL_BEST_SR.html

http://eap.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/ODIS/BOWLING/ODI_BOWL_BEST_AVS.html

He's got the third best strike rate in the history of ODI cricket, and an average exactly on par with Glenn McGrath (difference of 0.02). A genuine wicket-taking bowler whose econ rate is pretty ok (nowhere as bad as some of the other bowling "stars"). He's one of the top ODI bowlers any side would KILL to have in their team.

Personal dislike is one thing, but you're digging yourself a hole here. Brett Lee never a good bowler? Gimme a f'ing break.
Wow...I knew Bond was up there, but I didn't realise he had the best strike rate of all time :-O

I remember last year I suggested that IMO bond was as good if not better an ODI bowler than Lee, and i got hammered for it from the likes of Faaib and even Blaze (a fellow kiwi) called me biased. I notice Bond has a better SR, average and economy rate than Lee and Lee hasn't (for obvious reasons) had to bowl to the Aussies. Wonder if these guys have changed their opinion on that 12 months later.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Wow...I knew Bond was up there, but I didn't realise he had the best strike rate of all time :-O

I remember last year I suggested that IMO bond was as good if not better an ODI bowler than Lee, and i got hammered for it from the likes of Faaib and even Blaze (a fellow kiwi) called me biased.
You have a link to that? Not saying it's not true, but I don't remember the conversation, and I'd have thought I'd remember calling you biased for saying something completely reasonable. :p

Bond is every bit as good as Lee IMO, and in fact could have been better, the main difference between the two is that Lee's managed to stay on the park a lot more, so obviously he's been tested over longer periods of time and deserves higher ranking as a bowler. I don't think you can really rate someone like Bond as one of the greatest ODI bowlers unless he plays a few solid seasons without injury, but he's certainly been very good in the games he's played.

Zinzan

You have a link to that? Not saying it's not true, but I don't remember the conversation, and I'd have thought I'd remember calling you biased for saying something completely reasonable. :p

Bond is every bit as good as Lee IMO, and in fact could have been better, the main difference between the two is that Lee's managed to stay on the park a lot more, so obviously he's been tested over longer periods of time and deserves higher ranking as a bowler. I don't think you can really rate someone like Bond as one of the greatest ODI bowlers unless he plays a few solid seasons without injury, but he's certainly been very good in the games he's played.
It was blaze that suggested i was biased, not you. And for the record I just looked back and it was for the Oneday team of 2005 thread, so apologies, I wasn't 100% correct. Sorry dude. Anyways for the record its was....http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=16289

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It was blaze that suggested i was biased, not you. And for the record I just looked back and it was for the Oneday team of 2005 thread, so apologies, I wasn't 100% correct. Sorry dude. Anyways for the record its was....http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=16289
Oh right, that makes more sense to me, as it was based on a single year, rather than an outright comparison between the bowlers. FWIW, my opinion is that Bond is probably the more talented bowler in ODIs, but he simply hasn't played consistently enough to be rated as one of the greats, whereas Lee has IMO. Bond's stats are tremendous though, and he might still have another year or two in him. He's really not that old, relatively speaking, though he probably isn't someone who'll play on that long.

pup11

International Coach
I think lee stands out of all the current fast bowlers of this generation because of his amazing fitness levels, at the start of his career he was very injury prone but since the last 3 years he has hardly had any injury scares while playing under such gruelling schedule.

pup11

International Coach
Its really unlucky for Binga to get injured like this and miss out on such a big tournament, but atleast he is seeing the bright side of things by saying that this layoff would add 2 years to his career.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think lee stands out of all the current fast bowlers of this generation because of his amazing fitness levels, at the start of his career he was very injury prone but since the last 3 years he has hardly had any injury scares while playing under such gruelling schedule.
Ntini >>> Lee in terms of fitness.