• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lee out of the world cup, its confirmed now!!!

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It is a blow for Australia - and the tournament because you want all the good players there - but remember the Aussies lost an even better bowler four years ago (and at shorter notice) so it will be interesting to see if they can cope this time. Tait has a BIG responsibility now - he's got the potential, can he step up to the plate like Glenn McGrath did in the Windies in 1995 when they lost McDermott and Fleming before that Test series? Clark is the replacement - I was surprised he wasn't picked to start with - do the Aussies think he is another Hoggard - a guy whose Test strengths are ODI weaknesses (ie too predictable)? One other point - I'd have had MaGill in the squad to give the Aussies the option of a WICKET-TAKING spinner - you wonder who'll take their wickets in the middle overs (and it doesn't look like Hogg is the man).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When somebody asked hypothetically a few months ago whether we'd prefer to take the Ashes back in a clean sweep if it meant we lost the World Cup, I didn't mean to jinx it by saying "yes".
But if you were asked now "would you prefer this had happened in The Ashes" (and the injuries occurring with, say, Hussey and McGrath instead of Symonds and Lee) would you change it?

Methinks not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is a blow for Australia - and the tournament because you want all the good players there - but remember the Aussies lost an even better bowler four years ago (and at shorter notice)
Lost another one before long, too...

Seriously, though, I just can't see anyone doing a Bichel this time. It'd be too much to take if they did.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge blow for Oz, bad enough that Symonds is unlikely, this news really rubs salt into the wounds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
will Binger ever play another WC match ?
You'd have to very much doubt it.

I can't see him being up to much at 34, personally - he's not the sort of bowler who strikes me as being much good beyond 31-32... not that he's ever been that good anyway...

pup11

International Coach
Indianbyheart, you hope that after losing 3 games in a row(without their best 5 players in the team) it would result in downfall of the aussies. You just take out the best 5 players from any team and you would realize they would perform even more terribly. So wake up and smell the coffee!!

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indianbyheart, you hope that after losing 3 games in a row(without their best 5 players in the team) it would result in downfall of the aussies. You just take out the best 5 players from any team and you would realize they would perform even more terribly. So wake up and smell the coffee!!
This is true although New Zealand didn't do too badly in the last game without 4 of their best players in Bond, Vettori, Mills and Oram :laugh:

Obviously I'm just stirring now, but I certainly wouldn't write Australia off even without Lee and Symonds

pup11

International Coach
I don't think that this would be the last world cup for Binga, he would be a different bowler by the next WC though he would have a lot less pace and a lot more accuracy in his bowling and might even improve his batting a bit more(so that he turns him into a bit of an all-rounder, atleast i hope so).

pup11

International Coach
Symo would play against South africa on March 24 in all probability but maybe just as a pure batsman, his bowling and fielding capability might improve as the tournament moves into its final stages.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lee lost in this WC is equivalent to losing Warne in 2003. Hopefully someone steps up this time.

Hopefully also Symonds comes through as planned, can't afford to lose him as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think that this would be the last world cup for Binga, he would be a different bowler by the next WC though he would have a lot less pace and a lot more accuracy in his bowling
Why would his accuracy be any better, when it's made no more than very slight improvements in the last 6 years?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, many of those "best" players aren't going to be around a massive amount longer... Ponting, Hussey and Symonds are more likely than not to have another Cup in them, but we thought that about Bevan, Lehmann and Gillespie last time. Gilchrist and McGrath will certainly play their last Cup here and now. And without such players, the Australian team simply isn't anywhere near as strong as it was a month ago.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but the World Cup should be about the best against the best. Injuries to star players hurts the credibility of the tournament and noone wants that.
True, but there have been injuries in previous World Cups too. Gillespie for one in 2003 to Australia, and other teams obviously suffered too.

pup11

International Coach
Richard, since lee would lose pace by the next world cup so its natural that he would concentrate on line and length more. As for the likes of hussey, ponting and Symonds retiring by the next cup by that time other players would be groomed to replace them, currently there is no player who is ready to step into their shoes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, since lee would lose pace by the next world cup so its natural that he would concentrate on line and length more.
You think he's not concentrating on it now? You think he's deliberately bowling Half-Vollies by the dozen?!?!

Being slower does not neccessarily = being more accurate.
As for the likes of hussey, ponting and Symonds retiring by the next cup by that time other players would be groomed to replace them, currently there is no player who is ready to step into their shoes.
You can't "groom" players without those players being good enough ITFP. There's no way you can simply preume players of that calibre are going to be abounding. If there are, Aus will have a good team for the next WC. If there aren't, they won't.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Though i dont support Australia but it would have been nice to see lee in action during the tournament, it just adds excitement to the game. Anyhow its a big big loss to the aussies and might be another turning point for their chances. I feel ponting captaincy will be tested during the tournament, it would take some doing to lift a team which has a losing streak of 5 games and also missing out on big players like symonds (for most part?) and lee.